Why become a member? ×

Practise/recording amp - Rumble LT25, Rumble 25, Bass Cube, something different?

Roseweave

I'm looking at the lower end of amps atm - I tried out the Rumble 15 and was pretty unimpressed(unsurprisingly) and the 25 Watt Orange - which was better, but still had no dirt.

I've been considering the next rung up from bargain basement here. I'm leaning towards the LT25 since it seems to get good reviews and is the most likely to squeeze the most bass out of a small speaker/enclosure. But I'm still worried as to exactly how much low end it's going to put out.

I would consider getting the 110s of the Rumble, Ampeg, Orange or otherwise though that's running into the 300 euro range and I'd like to keep it to 200.

Also considering the Bass Pathfinder - shame it didn't come in a slightly larger version for 200, it'd be incredible.

The other big alternative to the LT is the Roland Bass Cube - either the XL version or a regular Cube 30. I can probably get one of those second hand fairly easy - Cubes are pretty nice reliable amps in general, but of course the modelling on the LT is much more modern.

I'll also be running guitar through this, as a pedal platform, since I play Doom and similar genres, but I think any of these options will work. I'm leaning towards the Rumbles on this one as I know they sound great, and the LT even has reverb built in so I can run into the amp dirty and still have some space(plus, I really like a Jazz Bass with a pinch of spring).

Any more suggestions? How much low end does the LT put out? I've been mostly using my Vox ADIO Air GT on the Bassman and AC30 models as a practise amp, which *sort of* works, and my Nux Mightyplug(which can do some really nice sounds but needs more tweaking esp. for dirty ones).

The 2 practice amps I always recommend are the Bass Cube 30 and the Line6 Studio 110, both long discontinued. I had a Line6 for a few years, even gigged it DI'd to the PA. Sounded great! Pokey for it's size (12 inch cube, 80 Watts). Can't recall why I sold it to be honest! 

I've had a bass cube 30 for a while now. Bought for 80 quid locally. Great little amp. Plenty of flexibility, although I probably use fewer of the features than I did with the Line6. 

I've never played any of the others you mention I'm afraid. 

I'd probably look at a used TC BG250-208 which has a far more capable amp section, expect to pay between £150 and £200 when one comes up. Peavey do a current equivalent in the Max 208 but new prices will be over budget.

A mate of mine had the Rumble 25 which was perfectly OK, he sold it when he got a Gnome/Mii110 setup which was far better.

I had a Fender Mustang 40 watt version II that had a nice selection of presets for guitar including some nice clear settings.

I didn't try it with bass although I believe Fender says they can be used for bass as well as 6 string guitars

Might be worth going to see if you can try one out somewhere.

• Like 1

Check the new Boss Katana 110 Bass, it has a 1 Watt power amp position and is more than complete.

The full power position is impressively loud.

It's a terrific recording tool alongside an excellent practice amp at 1 Watt output and an impressive amp at full power.

There's loads of other good modelling/ effects included solutions. If you want to use it for guitar too I had a Blackstar BEAM, sold it stupidly, then got a Positive Grid Spark. Both are great little recording interfaces and have onboard effects. There's an old Fender Bronco combo that has integrated effects, it's old tech but the sounds are really good. 

• Like 1

Best not buy a practise amp full stop my friend, they are worth peanuts in resale when you realise they are weak also. Save up for a Fender Rumble 40 studio or the Boss110 which are keepers no matter which amp you buy in the future for gigging. 

Looking at your original post you are looking for something that will double for guitar and bass and your budget is 2-300 Euros, so I guess you are not UK based? Maybe space is also an issue for you?

For anybody in the UK I'd always give the same advice; buy used. None of this practice/starter amp is great and the used value is low so anything you buy now will be upgraded fairly quickly. If funds are tight you don't want to be losing money by spending out on something you'll outgrow quickly.

Your current Vox set up with its 3" speakers obviously has limitations for bass, sort of works is about right. How about some active studio monitors? They are designed to sound good with a whole variety of instruments with modelling, you could probably feed them with the headphone output of your Vox or go and buy a Zoom G1-Four or B1-Four. If you are prepared to use headphones you could even skip the monitors until funds allow but monitors will bring the headphone sound into the room, and at quite a volume. They'll also make great hi-fi speakers and ridiculously good monitors for your computer. Monitors are the way to go for multi instrument use and are of course the best if you are recording.

I use RCF Lyra's but any top brand KRK, Yamaha, Tannoy etc will do a great job and give you both better bass sounds and guitar sounds than any practice amp in your price range. Go for the 5" monitors if you can stretch that far and look for used.

On 24/03/2023 at 21:31, fretmeister said:

Your stage amp has a volume control 

i don't got a stage amp lol. i have no need for one as i don't intend to play any venues I can't DI in.

I have a pair of M-Audio monitors that are pretty good, I might upgrade them at some point so if people have suggestions for cheapish ones of a similar quality but very slightly more bass I'm up for that. Likely not any time soon though.

• Like 1

On 26/03/2023 at 08:41, Phil Starr said:

Looking at your original post you are looking for something that will double for guitar and bass and your budget is 2-300 Euros, so I guess you are not UK based? Maybe space is also an issue for you?

For anybody in the UK I'd always give the same advice; buy used. None of this practice/starter amp is great and the used value is low so anything you buy now will be upgraded fairly quickly. If funds are tight you don't want to be losing money by spending out on something you'll outgrow quickly.

Your current Vox set up with its 3" speakers obviously has limitations for bass, sort of works is about right. How about some active studio monitors? They are designed to sound good with a whole variety of instruments with modelling, you could probably feed them with the headphone output of your Vox or go and buy a Zoom G1-Four or B1-Four. If you are prepared to use headphones you could even skip the monitors until funds allow but monitors will bring the headphone sound into the room, and at quite a volume. They'll also make great hi-fi speakers and ridiculously good monitors for your computer. Monitors are the way to go for multi instrument use and are of course the best if you are recording.

I use RCF Lyra's but any top brand KRK, Yamaha, Tannoy etc will do a great job and give you both better bass sounds and guitar sounds than any practice amp in your price range. Go for the 5" monitors if you can stretch that far and look for used.

I'm in Ireland, I reckon UK & Ireland tend to have the same availability, though Brexit has messed with that quite a bit. 

I'm really looking at a bedroom amp atm, so the Mustang LT or one of the smaller Cubes preferably. 

3 hours ago, Roseweave said:

I'm in Ireland, I reckon UK & Ireland tend to have the same availability, though Brexit has messed with that quite a bit. 

I'm really looking at a bedroom amp atm, so the Mustang LT or one of the smaller Cubes preferably. 

OK you shouldn't have a problem in most of the Eurozone but we do get people on here from places where there isn't a thriving used market. Ireland has a thriving music and arts scene so going used is good. Particularly with this sort of thing people move on from a practice amp very quickly so they are often sold in 'as new' condition. 

I'm a techie so approach this with that point of view and if you want to play guitar and bass through the same amp/speaker it needs to have a flat response and you need some modelling. It's worth your while knowing of the existence of the Zooms https://www.thomann.de/gb/zoom_b1four_bass_multi_effect.htm for under 100Euros They model loads of amps and have dozens of effects and tone shaping including reverb and the ability to download patches so there are ways of getting good guitar sounds out of the bass model and vice-versa. They'd be a way of getting good guitar and bass sounds out of whatever amp you have. It would free you up to choose the best sounding amp as the modelling would be in the Zoom

The nearfield studio monitor idea was just a suggestion too. They are just computer speakers but designed for music and will handle bass easily at reasonable volumes which normal speakers wouldn't be happy with.  If you get round to making recordings they are an essential and all you'll need to add is an interface or small mixer, so that might save you money further on whilst giving you a better sound than you'll ever get out of a cheap practice amp.

Anyway I wish you luck finding what you want and can get on playing and loving music :)

11 hours ago, Roseweave said:

i don't got a stage amp lol. i have no need for one as i don't intend to play any venues I can't DI in.

I have a pair of M-Audio monitors that are pretty good, I might upgrade them at some point so if people have suggestions for cheapish ones of a similar quality but very slightly more bass I'm up for that. Likely not any time soon though.

In the house I almost always play using a pair of Yamaha HS7 monitors. I'm using them with a Helix but any modeller type unit at any price would work well.

I have been really impressed with them. If you are not worried about stereo, or using them as PC speakers as well then a single one would do.

Even before my Helix I used them with my PC and a cheap Focusrite interface. I use them for everything now, not just playing and recording - Netflix / Zoom calls etc etc.

Tried the LT25 and Rumble 25 today - the regular Rumble was disappointing, IMO, largely because the Overdrive requires you to crank the amp like a Tube amp, which kind of defeats the purpose of a practise amp. better there than not, but not very useful. Base tone wasn't great tbh. LT had much better sounds, but was hit and miss - really liked the Bassman models.

Didn't buy it on the spot as I Wanted to test it vs. the Ampeg 108 - but apparently that's the same deal? Was hoping it would just be a set level of Overdrive you controlled via your volume knob, like one knob fuzz pedals.

Really between the LT25 and a Cube - though I *really* like the base tone of the Orange a lot too. A shame the 25 doesn't have OD and the 50 is larger/more expensive than I'd keep around. So those 3 are my options atm. Hearing Joe Dart used the Cube 30 and the compressor on it does make me lean towards that, but it's likely the LT can do that sound too.

Go for the Boss Katana 110 Bass, it's what is replacing the Roland Cube models, you won't be disappointed at all.

And in case you didn't know Roland and Boss are the same company.

I know it's twice the price with the almost mandatory Bluetooth adapter, but it's a real amp compared to the crappy toys you've tried.

Edited by Hellzero