Why become a member? ×

Will Yamaha ever reissue the old BB3000 basses??

Brian18242

9 hours ago, Brian18242 said:

It's near impossible to find any on the second hand market 🥲

For a used BB, I would go straight to the source, i.e., Japan. I recently got my 1200 from there and it is in great condition for a 45 year old bass. Reverse P and neck-thru, sounds huge!

1683906427_1978YamahaBB1200Cherryburst.thumb.jpg.ffa1e84fe8dc5fffeeb7f38b6f3fd010.jpg

• Like 4

I always get the sense that with Yamaha, unlike Fender, their attitude to reissues would be "Why, the instruments we are designing and building now are better than the instruments we were designing and building 20 years ago" (a bit like Mesa compared with Ampeg I'd guess, don't see many Mesa RIs). Guess I was proved wrong by @AndyTravis there, but to me Yamaha just don't feel like a reissue brand?

• Like 1

The BB3000 was/is indeed a very good bass. Usually substantially lighter than the BB2000,too, for some reason.

I remember the reissues. I seem to remember Yamaha found some old parts in storage at the factory in Hamamatsu and made as many basses with them as possible. I wish I had bought one.

The funny thing is, back in the 1980s when they were in production I wouldn't have entertained the idea of buying a BB3000. It was all about custom made boutique basses in those days. With active electronics. 

I know that Yamaha custom shop  in Japan went out and bought a couple of used BB3000s to customize for Tony Kanal. That would suggest to me that they don't have any plans  ( or the means,maybe)to reissue that model anytime soon.

The later BB3000s were made in Indonesia, if I  remember correctly. If I was buying a used one I would make sure I was buying a Japanese-made example.

A 2024 would be the  closest recent offering from Yamaha, I suppose. They are still fairly easy to find on the used market in the UK and they are very nice basses in their own right.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 2