Why become a member? ×

Fretting ON the fret of a fretted bass (does this have a name)?

I recently discovered that if you fret a fretted bass directly on the fret, or rather ever so slightly behind, so that your finger kind of both fret right behind and on the actual fret, you get this quite unique sound that kind of sounds like partially/light palm muting, but not quite, kind of like partially/light palm muting but with harmonics added, kind of as if you get both the fretted note plus the harmonic of the given fret, but then partially muted, if that makes sense, and I was wondering if anyone else utilizes this technique, and if it got an actual name?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I recently discovered that if you fret a fretted bass directly on the fret, or rather ever so slightly behind, so that your finger kind of both fret right behind and on the actual fret, you get this quite unique sound that kind of sounds like partially/light palm muting, but not quite, kind of like partially/light palm muting but with harmonics added, kind of as if you get both the fretted note plus the harmonic of the given fret, but then partially muted, if that makes sense, and I was wondering if anyone else utilizes this technique, and if it got an actual name?

Not heard of it.  Are you using rounds?

5 hours ago, alyctes said:

I was wondering because of the harmonics.  It might not happen with flats?

Probably.

Also come to think of it might also have something to do with me running it through a subtle spring reverb effect, or rather that the reverb might enhance this muted harmonic effect and it actually not being all that noticeable without.

Haven't actually tried with the signal of the bass completely dry.

• Like 1

On 13/03/2023 at 13:54, velvetkevorkian said:

It's generally referred to as "not fretting cleanly" I think 😬 — beginner lessons always emphasise fretting behind the fret to avoid it. (As ever, if it works for you, go nuts)

Not what I am talking about.

It's not that kind of rattling noise from the string repeatably slipping off the fret due to it not having sufficiently firm contact to it when not fretted properly (and I don't think my description of it really would suggest this was what I was talking about, honestly).

You need to be really precise about your finger placement though, or that is exactly what you get instead.

You also need to apply just the right amount of pressure for it to work, neither too light or too firm.

However I just checked with reverb, and the subtle spring reverb I use as part of my basic clean tone does definitely enhance the effect I am talking about.

As said like a lightly palm muted note, but with some extra harmonic thing going on, and now when I tested it again, a better way of describing might be sort of a harmonically rich metallic flavor added to the attack, somewhat resembling that of a kalimba, just not as pronounced. 

I guess overall it's a relatively subtle effect, especially without spring reverb added, not a great deal different from just palm muting, but with reverb it does give it that extra harmonic metallic attack, as said, somewhat resembling that of a kalimba, just not as pronounced, that I think, despite being relatively subtle, is a pretty interesting flavor, that you can't really get any other way I know of from a bass guitar.

I suppose subtle flavor might actually be a better way of describing it than an effect.

Sort of a subtle extra harmonically rich clicky metallic attack that separates it from how regular light palm muting sounds.

Marcus Miller does this and mentioned it recently in his interview with Scott. Also I remember the guy from Snarky Puppy saying he does it too. I’ve tried it and find it a bit difficult, and my muting technique is sort of a habit now.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, itu said:

Have you seen the Jaco video with Jerry Jemmott? Pastorius is talking about a fretted bass played on top of frets. Is your style similar, mimicking fretless?

Not sure, but I am thinking if he might just had been talking about practicing fretless on a fretted bass, rather than about this technique?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

Since I discovered this technique I have used it a lot.

It's sort of an alternative to partly muting/palm muting strings, but it sounds a bit different, with a bit of an upper end subtle click, almost muted marimba-esque. 

It does require rather precise fretting though, or else you end up with a rattling sound that resembles that of not applying proper pressure when fretting a note the regular way.

It's not about replying a lot of pressure though, but rather getting the position of your fretting finger almost dead straight right, as described in the OP.

And I figure it doubles as great practice for playing fretless bass as well.