Why become a member? ×

NBD: Holy Grail Bass

admiralchew

7 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Id say that if you looked at one of the dangly things hanging from your shoulder and one hanging from your bum, it would be about that expensive. 😄

That took a moment to understand...

Edited by TrevorG
misunderstood someone's comment

Thank you for the kind messages.

@NickA Great story about the professional jazz player asking for a go. Did you let them and what did they think? 

I’m very fond of Warwick basses too but they are different beasts as I’m sure you know very well. The only other bass getting a look-in at the minute is my Streamer.

I did check the database and found it invaluable. It’s amazing how many Wals have been refinished and changed over the years. This one is about 20 years old but is in pristine shape (well, until Wal take a look and tell me otherwise). The previous owner(s) definitely seemed to look after it, and I’m grateful for that.

A maple MkII 4-string would be lovely but I’m not so much of a Tool fanatic that I can’t see that this has everything I’d look for in a bass. I’ll never play like Justin Chancellor, Geddy Lee or any other celebrity Wal user, so I won’t try to mimic their Wal basses when this lovely bass is out there. Geddy’s jazz may be a different matter though!

@TrevorG I don’t really want to talk exact prices but I bought it in December during the same few weeks that I saw four or five other Wals sell through Bass Direct and Bass Bros (typically they’re on Instagram and never even make the website, and were a mix of MkIs, MkIIs, fretted and fretless) and I’ve seen several more go there and elsewhere in the last couple of months. Prices have been around £6,500-£9,500 and this was in that range. Given that even if you’re on the list and can place an order next week you’re looking at about £8,000 for a base model 4-string, for the right bass the used prices aren’t always crazy. I’m not sure I could want a bass more than this so getting my dream bass now for what I considered a reasonable price (for that bass, rather than a comment on whether such sums are every reasonable) seemed a price worth paying.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, admiralchew said:

Thank you for the kind messages.

@NickA Great story about the professional jazz player asking for a go. Did you let them and what did they think? 

I’m very fond of Warwick basses too but they are different beasts as I’m sure you know very well. The only other bass getting a look-in at the minute is my Streamer.

I did check the database and found it invaluable. It’s amazing how many Wals have been refinished and changed over the years. This one is about 20 years old but is in pristine shape (well, until Wal take a look and tell me otherwise). The previous owner(s) definitely seemed to look after it, and I’m grateful for that.

A maple MkII 4-string would be lovely but I’m not so much of a Tool fanatic that I can’t see that this has everything I’d look for in a bass. I’ll never play like Justin Chancellor, Geddy Lee or any other celebrity Wal user, so I won’t try to mimic their Wal basses when this lovely bass is out there. Geddy’s jazz may be a different matter though!

@TrevorG I don’t really want to talk exact prices but I bought it in December during the same few weeks that I saw four or five other Wals sell through Bass Direct and Bass Bros (typically they’re on Instagram and never even make the website, and were a mix of MkIs, MkIIs, fretted and fretless) and I’ve seen several more go there and elsewhere in the last couple of months. Prices have been around £6,500-£9,500 and this was in that range. Given that even if you’re on the list and can place an order next week you’re looking at about £8,000 for a base model 4-string, for the right bass the used prices aren’t always crazy. I’m not sure I could want a bass more than this so getting my dream bass now for what I considered a reasonable price (for that bass, rather than a comment on whether such sums are every reasonable) seemed a price worth paying.

Oh, you don't have to justify paying a huge amount to me. If that bass had been twelve grand I would have still understood you getting it. Someone very famous leant me one once but it cost more than my college degree. That said... it was worth it! Congratulations.

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning!  I snagged my MK1 4 string through a wanted ad on here back in 2020.  Never looked back!

I've had similar experiences as mentioned above with the lack of recognition of mine when gigging, most people don't have a clue what it is and it's only ever other players who comment.

That really is an absolutely amazing Bass, Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LewisK1975 said:

, most people don't have a clue what it is and it's only ever other players who comment.

there is something about seeing on stage the distinctive silhouette of that classic four string wal paddle headstock..

Edited by Musicman666
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, admiralchew said:

Great story about the professional jazz player asking for a go. Did you let them and what did they think?

Of course I did.  It's a bit like seeing someone else snog your girlfriend, but I'm a generous chap 😂.

He loved it but didn't make me an offer. 

First time I played a ( lovely walnut ) fretless custom (1985) I wasn't well impressed.  £550 seemed expensive.  It takes a while to get into the Wal groove.

As I'm sure you know Wal sounds are also to be found in the playing of Percy Jones, Mick Karn, Colin Bass and many more; Chancellor, Lee and Flea are outliers for me.  But that the bass can do all that says a lot.

Edited by NickA
  • Thanks 1

On 05/03/2023 at 22:03, NickA said:

My case says Wal on it. Most people haven't a clue what it means.

I get asked " is that a Warwick"?  

Strangely enough, at a recent gig someone came over to me at halftime and asked me if my Warwick FNA (Corvette) was a Wal, probably fooled by the “W” headstock logo. 🤔

Gave me a flashback to a time in the early ‘80’s when someone in a car park asked me if my car was a Jaguar (actually a clapped out 1966 Bond Equipe GT4S, my first car, that cost me  £100).

Lovely bass in the OP, good score! 👍

• Thanks 1

On 06/03/2023 at 16:30, LewisK1975 said:

Absolutely stunning!  I snagged my MK1 4 string through a wanted ad on here back in 2020.  Never looked back!

I've had similar experiences as mentioned above with the lack of recognition of mine when gigging, most people don't have a clue what it is and it's only ever other players who comment.

That really is an absolutely amazing Bass, Congratulations!

I was actually stunned two weeks ago when a new guitarist at my regular jam night asked me when I had just arrived, “Oooh, what’s in the case… let me guess… Fender?” “Nope.” “Warwick?” “Nope” “Stingray.” “Nope” “Ooh, what is it?” “ You might not have heard of it - a Wal…” Guitar player promptly falls off his chair and engages in enthusiastic chat about it…

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words, all.

@Shaggyand @TrevorR, I’m enjoying the tales of recognition and non-recognition.

@TrevorR, the guitarist picked just the right person to chat to you about it. That’s interesting that the guitarist was knowledgable. I rarely expect anyone to know anything about basses.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, admiralchew said:

That’s interesting that the guitarist was knowledgable. I rarely expect anyone to know anything about basses

Indeed, nor drummers… when I joined a wedding/covers band back in about the early 2000s during our first rehearsal we stopped to have a bit of a tea break. NB the strings I was using at the time had black silks (that’s important -you’ll see why in a minute)… The drummer gave a long hard stare at the headstock of my bass and said, “Trev, what kind of bass is that you’re playing?” “Oh, it’s a Wal - they’re a small hand builder, so you might not have come across them before.” “Wal you say?” Stares closely at the headstock… “Yeah, Wal. Why?” “Well, I’ve been staring at it from over here and with those black strings I really could have sworn it said ‘Tw@t’!!!” 🤣

Edited by TrevorR
Rubbish typing
  • Haha 3