Why become a member? ×

Ibby Rocket Roll Flying V bass

Paddy515

3 hours ago, Paddy515 said:

More info

Made by Fujigen Gakki, model number 2387, the set-neck P/J version is referred to as 'Custom' in the only catalogue I can find it in - Fujigen model number conventions suggest it's likely the proper designation's 2387B/DX.

http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/file.php_n=1974-2&p=&y=1974.html

Looks like there's no serial number which means it's pre 1976, and a quick look in the catalogues suggest this version appeared around 1974. There may be dateable codes on the pickups or possibly stamped on the back of the scratchplate but '74/5 seems likely.

Interestingly these pre-date actual Gibson Flying V basses by 9 or 10 years.

I think these are pretty rare - I suspect a lot of people on the Ibanez Vintage Guitars FB group would like to see it, and might well want to buy it off you. B|

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Made by Fujigen Gakki, model number 2387, the set-neck P/J version is referred to as 'Custom' in the only catalogue I can find it in - Fujigen model number conventions suggest it's likely the proper designation's 2387B/DX.

Looks like there's no serial number which means it's pre 1976, and a quick look in the catalogues suggest this version appeared around 1974. There may be dateable codes on the pickups or possibly stamped on the back of the scratchplate but '74/5 seems likely.

I think these are pretty rare - I suspect a lot of people on the Ibanez Vintage Guitars FB group would like to see it, and might well want to buy it off you. B|

Hi, thank you so much. This was given to my band's singer for his 19th birthday, some 25 years ago, barely played by him as he's a guitarist/singer, and just happened to mention it to me last week. After a couple of hours cleaning and setting up it now looks and plays great. Eventhough the truss rod is frozen in time, the neck relief is spot on and once the string height was reduced from 9/64ths!!!! to 5/64ths, all is good. He hadnt a clue what he had and I wasnt sure on all the facts so this reply is a great help. Thank you.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bassassin said:

http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1976-2/03.jpg

This is the very same, 1976.

• Like 1

• Paddy515 changed the title to Ibby Rocket Roll Flying V bass
6 hours ago, Paddy515 said:

Cheers - much better pic, didn't dig enough to find it. Ibanez introduced serial numbers in late 1975 & the pics of your singer's bass don't show a serial - on a set or through-neck instrument it should be stamped into the wood on the back of the headstock, so unless the number's not showing on the pic, that would date the bass to '75 at the latest.

Ibanez/Fujigen used Maxon pickups and these usually have dateable serial numbers, which is useful on the pre-serial instuments - however I haven't seen these codes on P or J units so it's possible they may have been from a different supplier. Might be worth having a look, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1