Why become a member? ×

Dimarzio PBass Player Series

BassAdder60

Just swopped the stock Pups from the Player Series and added the Dimarzio PBass pickup 

These are a bargain at present and for anyone liking rock these Pups work well 

More mids and growl ( fairly hot pups ) and for finger playing they are an improvement I feel 

90EF9B67-BBB0-4354-BCF0-BC689C03AAD7.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

These are a bargain at present and for anyone liking rock these Pups work well 

More mids and growl ( fairly hot pups ) and for finger playing they are an improvement I feel

I put a Dimarzio into my new G&L LB-100, and yes it transforms the bass. For what I'm playing on it, and how on play, it's a perfect match 👍

The plentiful amount of mids allows me to use Daddario Pro Steels — they add a strong top and bottom, and so I end up with a full sound with plenty of bite

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Nice upgrades, both sonically and aesthetically.

Thanks , the last picture was before the Dimarzio upgrade 

This is my other Player Series with black pickguard except it also has HiMass Bridge fitted 9CE089F7-8CFE-4F97-A004-BFDC80265FBB.thumb.jpeg.b9a923545b1cdfe502222af7499ab7d5.jpeg

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 3

On 25/02/2023 at 10:28, Gareth Hughes said:

Is that a maple fingerboard on a Tidepool bass? If so, any chance of a full length pic? Loving the black pickguard - it’s tempting me to change from my white one.

Apologies for derailing the thread OP but, I have a tidepool player jazz.  I'm not keen on the white pick guard but have struggled to think of another colour for a new pickguard; tide pool doesn't really match with the colours pickguards generally come in.

I was thinking of a gold one but I might try black now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gareth Hughes said:

The black pickguard with

the tidepool and maple doesn’t work

in my head and then seeing it in reality it just somehow works, IMO.

I think Tidepool is a difficult colour to photo, looks green but it’s more blue. 
A very nice colour

• Like 1

5 hours ago, uncle psychosis said:

Weirdly, I have the same Player series precision, in the same finish, and have also been considering black pickguard + dimarzio P combination. 🤪

When you say they were a bargain, are they on sale somewhere? 

PMT has them for £66 each 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, uncle psychosis said:

Thanks. I think after reading some reviews they're maybe not for me, although at that price might be worth checking them out. 

Judge for yourself, this is a great demo of the DiMarzio Model P compared to a regular stock vintage voiced Fender P pickup:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, uncle psychosis said:

Thanks.

They sound good but I'm not sure if that's not just because they're much higher output and therefore louder - a classic trick for making one thing sound better than another...

They are definitely a louder pickup but set correctly with adjustable poles they can be tamed yet still give a mid forward grunt 

On 02/03/2023 at 09:28, uncle psychosis said:

Thanks.

They sound good but I'm not sure if that's not just because they're much higher output and therefore louder - a classic trick for making one thing sound better than another...

No, that's not the case here (I know for sure since I have actually used this pickup).

You can hear that the EQ, harmonics and dynamics is entirely different between the two pickups demoed, little directly to do with it being louder (though indirectly it does have something to do with the output being hotter, which though is something different than necessarily being loud, which is just kind of side effect so to speak of it being hotter), and the actual sound level from the two pickups in that video is actually fairly even.

Though whether they sound better is still entirely down to personal preferences.

But yes, the DiMarzio Model P does sound fuller, more aggressive and more compressed.

Regardless of loudness.

Hotness is a qualitative, loudness is quantitative. 

Kind of like the difference between gain and level.

I don't deny that what you describe is an actual real phenomena, but as said not the case here (and it is actually possible to tell the difference too if you are familiar with the difference (that is how difference in just cheer volume sounds, as opposed to actual qualitative difference)). 

A simple way to test this would be just turning the volume of your computer up and down accordingly, and you would realize that doesn't make the two pickups sound the same or likely to change your preference for one or the other.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Well … that was a discovery!!

The Custom Shop 62 pickup was very nice but … I missed the mids and grunt that the Dimarzio PBass gave me.

Im going to put Dimarzio in both my Player Series as I think they work well

Will be selling the CS 62 pickup soon 

24 minutes ago, benthos said:

I recently put these into my G&L tribute and I really like them.  An improvement (IMHO) in sound, but horses for courses I guess.

I’ve just raised them up a bit since I took that picture as I think I went a bit too far lowering which lost some of the bottom end !! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I’ve just raised them up a bit since I took that picture as I think I went a bit too far lowering which lost some of the bottom end !! 

When I installed them they did seem to sit a bit lower than the stock pups (i replace the foam) but still produced a ton of bottom end.  I havent had to tweak the pole positions either.  One happy customer here!

• Like 1