Why become a member? ×

Travelling with a bass guitar in a roof box

DylanB

1 hour ago, JoeEvans said:

Have you played both? I'm quite fancying one of these myself but opinions seem to vary on which of those two is better. Yamaha BX1 looks better than both but more expensive too...

Yes.  The Hohner was better than the Spirit.  There is a passive, PJ Hohner with a bolt on neck, the B2B, which was my pick of the range.  The P pickup, especially, sounded more organic and P bassy.  I also had a Yamaha, the 5 string BX-5, which I should never, ever have sold.  That is a country mile better than Spirit or Hohners - a quality instrument.

1 hour ago, jimmyb625 said:

Harley Benton short-scale P-bass.

I'm not saying I bought one for this exact reason, although I did.

Cheaper than a roof box as well.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbp90bk_shortscale_ebass.htm

That is a pretty good call.  I read on here recently someone had one that was a nightmare but mine was gig-ready straight out of the box.  All I had to do was tune it up.

3 hours ago, cetera said:

Also, if you go the roof box route PLEASE ensure you lock it! I had a VERY scary experience once while driving our band van when the roof box of a car in front exploded open at 70+mph littering the motorway with detritus including, but not limited to, a duvet and some sleeping bags which went under our van wheels at said high speed and very nearly killed us....

On my Thule roofbox, you can't take they key out unless it's properly locked. The key won't turn unless the latch is engaged at each end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

Yes.  The Hohner was better than the Spirit.  There is a passive, PJ Hohner with a bolt on neck, the B2B, which was my pick of the range.  The P pickup, especially, sounded more organic and P bassy.  I also had a Yamaha, the 5 string BX-5, which I should never, ever have sold.  That is a country mile better than Spirit or Hohners - a quality instrument.

That's good to know. Maybe I need to hold out for a (dog's) BX.

Plus the story about Ike Turner’s band going to Memphis to record for Sam Phillips. According to the legend, the guitar combo amp fell off the roof of the car on the way. The subsequent damage produced the sound heard on “Rocket 88”, often cited as one of the first rock n’ roll records.

@DylanB, do you feel the weight of history on your shoulders? 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DTB said:

Must be true, they wouldn’t have put it in the film if it wasn’t, surely???? 😉

Think it was pretty common place, I've heard a few older guys talk about putting their uprights on the roof, pre 80s vast majority of cars were saloons so without a band van I guess it had to go on the roof

I've got an Octavia hatch and can just fit a mono gigbag straight across the very back of the boot