Why become a member? ×

Cab Design for 2x10's

Ralf1e

I bought 2 used Fane Sovereign 10-300's some while ago to replace some troubled Ashdown blues in a 2x10 cab. In the end I fitted new suspension wires which cured the problem.

I bought them from Blue Aran on ebay so I imagine they are OK they are 8 ohm each

I fancy doing a self build cab for them but don't want to build in vain and waste time through ignorance.

So 2 questions

1 does anyone have a known trusted design available on here that I could follow

2 Are they worth it.

Apologies if this is already covered some where on here I did a search but got more results than I could face wadding through.IMG_0025.thumb.JPG.b2db21404a73916e4ea547456e23e905.JPG

• Like 1

This is a back-of-the-envelope job. Try a cab with an internal volume of 70 litres and use either two 100mm or one 150mm ports, 160mm long. Most commercial ports are a bit shorter than that - so you may have to extend them with some cardboard. The drivers themselves look pretty good to me.

• Thanks 1

I agree with Stevie. The speakers look fine. The Fane 50 Years sticker indicates the speakers were produced around 2018.

I ran them through winISD speaker modelling software and the only difference I found from Stevies' "back of the envelope" figures is for two 4" ports with a length of 13.3cms. This gives a system tuning of 57Hz.

If you've still got the Ashdown cab, measure the internal dimensions to find the volume and let us know what you find. To build from new, make a 2 x10 box to the above internal volume and vertically align the speakers, one above the other. 

Edited by Balcro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Balcro said:

I agree with Stevie. The speakers look fine. The Fane 50 Years sticker indicates the speakers were produced around 2018.

I ran them through winISD speaker modelling software and the only difference I found from Stevies' "back of the envelope" figures is for two 4" ports with a length of 13.3cms. This gives a system tuning of 57Hz.

If you've still got the Ashdown cab, measure the internal dimensions to find the volume and let us know what you find. To build from new, make a 2 x10 box to the above internal volume and vertically align the speakers, one above the other. 

Thank you so much

I don't have the Ashdown box as I bought it for my grandson and gave it to him after fixing it's own speakers. Long short story I had already given him an Ashdown electrtic blue 180 the 15" version so I figured the 210 would compliment that.

Any ideas on that program of suggested internal dimensions for the box. L,W,H.

I have a Peavy frontline 210 I could copy but I really want to try a 210 vertical configuration and build from 12mm high end ply.

have you considered making 2 off 1 x 10 cabs to make it a bit more of a modular rig? 

1 x 10 for home practice/noodling and the more tame gigs

both stacked for the more lively events.... :)

I'm pretty confident you'd get 2 enclosures out of a sheet of ply. 

I'm sure the clever crew on the forum could guide you with regards to volumes and tuning etc. 

Just a thought.....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GlamBass74 said:

have you considered making 2 off 1 x 10 cabs to make it a bit more of a modular rig? 

1 x 10 for home practice/noodling and the more tame gigs

both stacked for the more lively events.... :)

I'm pretty confident you'd get 2 enclosures out of a sheet of ply. 

I'm sure the clever crew on the forum could guide you with regards to volumes and tuning etc. 

Just a thought.....

Thank you for that.

It isn't a thing I need. It is a thing I just want to try specifically to see how it handles my Peavey Mini Mega without lugging around a 410 + a 210 without spending close to £1000

I already have other things to use for home and smaller places.

My inclination would be first of all to take the "Frontline" design and turn it sideways to the vertical and then if practicable, to slightly reduce the width. Leave room for the two 100mm ports (consider external diameter and flange).

Internally, I would brace the front baffle between the 2 drive units and remember to allow a 10cm gap between the end of the port and the rear panel.

The volume Stevie quoted is net of internal features, so allow about 1.4L per drive unit and the volume of the 2 ports, roughly 600cc, plus the volume of all the bracing. So 3.4L + bracing to be added to 70 litres.

Additional bracing to your choice.

Just searching on "reflex ports" and this came up as the second reference -

https://wilmslowaudio.co.uk/reflex-ports/100mm-flanged-straight-port

Edited by Balcro

I remember discussing this driver with @Phil Starra few years ago now, and at that time we agreed to differ. The thing is that it modelled quite flat and at that time, from my hazy recollection, the received wisdom was that you needed a slight rise around the 120Hz region? Hopefully, Phil will chip in with his recollections. 

It is a ceramic magnet speaker, so not lightweight, but it still a good driver.

• Thanks 1

A little bit of history. Fane's published specs around that time changed fairly frequently for the sovereign series. If I remember correctly they'd had some troubles and were effectively re-launching. The predecessor of the 10-300 was the 10-275 which had identical parameters but was rated 25W lower. The stickers on your speaker are almost identical from those on my Fane 10-275 so it may be the same speaker and from the same factory. I have a couple of spec sheets I saved from that era. My speakers were in a 2x10 which went very deep and had a pretty flat response at the cost of being quite a heavy beast. Modelling the two speakers gives a very different bass response. The old speaker is in green the new Fane10-300 in red

image.png.346cb9c053b56d910d6d3510355a73ba.png

The cab for the older speaker is 40litres and tuned to 60hz, it will also work with the newer variant but you'll get a bit less bass. It's a nice speaker but doesn't have the high end peak that the equivalent Eminence speakers have so might lack a bit of top end and need a bit of upper mid boost depending upon your taste. I think there is every chance yours is the older model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much. That is good news to my ears or should I say eyes. I lean towards bottom end in my tone preferences and hardly ever put any top on the amp at all.

In fact I have a habit of leaving all tone controls at 12 o'clock and just adjusting tone on the bass itself which will nearly always be on the bass side of a central detente on say an active bass tone control.

24 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

It's a nice speaker but doesn't have the high end peak that the equivalent Eminence speakers have so might lack a bit of top end and need a bit of upper mid boost depending upon your taste.

I do agree with Phil, but I have always had the view that the speaker should be uncoloured and the Eminence speakers do often have a cone breakup around the 2KHz-4KHz region. For example, the Basslite S2010 has dips/ troughs around 8dB difference. Now that is not to say that some people would not prefer the Eminence, however you could not easily tame the peaks and troughs with EQ if required.

Edited by Chienmortbb

CORRECTIONS:
Following Phil Starr's comments and that from "Chienmortbb" (19hrs ago) I've had another look at the FANE pictures and it appears you have a Mark .1 version of the Sovereign 10-300. Current pictures show the driver as "10-300/2".

Subtle changes have been made since 2020 when I first downloded the speaker details. For the Mark 2, which I referrred to earlier, I used a specification/parameters file from about 3 weeks ago. Your Mk.1 version appears to measure better when the volume is reduced to about 63L. Consequently the system tuning is also different.

For a comparison of the 2 models, see the frequency response graph below. Your Mk.1 is the light green line and the current Mk.2 is in light blue.

screenshot.2023-02-23.jpg