Why become a member? ×

Jazzbass, under £400...the hard bit - under 8.5lbs!

Raslee

So, i'm in the market for a 4 stringer jazz bass - budget is £400 tops, but quite happy for a £150 Harley Benton if it fits the bill.  I've scoured the For Sale section for a while now, however sadly pretty much everything is coming in over my weight limit - i have the glass back syndrome  and have been used to gigging basses under 8lbs, even including my 5 string. I've already got a Sire Jazz and switched the V7 body for a V3 to make it lighter...it's still heavy! I'm open to active or passive...key requirements = awesome for the money + lightweight - GO!

Any suggestions for a guaranteed lightweight jazz bass.???....already have decent straps and a disastrous history with a router ;)

Cheers all.

Edited by Raslee
  • Like 1

Always difficult on weight at that price point because the manufacturer's either go down the bolsa wood route or some kind of ash that has its own gravitational pull and you never know which way they've gone until it arrives! 

You could try calling/going through the peach guitars website - they often take photos of the weight of their stock so you're not buying blind. 

I'm not really across lbs but this one looks close on weight & price. These 40th anniversary ones are apparently pretty good - I fancy one myself but I've already got a jazz on order from somewhere else! 

https://www.peachguitars.com/squier-vintage-edition-40th-anniversary-jazz-bass-maple-satin-seafoam-green.htm

• Thanks 1

Similar to LW’s point, off-the-shelf zat that price will probably also been a lot of variation in weights even if they’re the same body wood, so not many manufacturers will advertise the weight. Best thing is to try a bunch at Peach, GuitarGuitar, Bass Direct, Bass Gallery etc 

Si

• Thanks 1