Why become a member? ×

DPD (I wasn't happy!)

thebrig

Having just read mcnach's post about his displeasure with DPD, I thought I would share my experiences with them.

A couple of year's ago I ordered some expensive hi-fi separates, I received an email from DPD stating that my goods were delivered safely and successfully, so I went to my front door and was horrified to find nothing, it turned out that the driver had delivered my goods to a completely different address about half a mile away from where I live.

Luckily for me, the person who received my goods was honest enough to bring them round to my address, but he did say that all the boxes were left on his doorstep in full view of the general public, and had discovered them when he got home from work.

Fast forward to a couple of month's ago, I had a bass that needed returning to GuitarGuitar which was scheduled to be collected by DPD.

Despite the fact that I'm retired and would be home on the day of the scheduled collection, I had a bad feeling about this collection because of my previous experience with DPD, so I decided to set up my video camera in the front room looking out of the window, and I was so glad I did.

I was sitting in the back room when I received a notification stating that their driver had attempted to collect the bass, but reported that there was nothing to collect, there was no ring of the doorbell, or a knock on the front door, so I checked the video and what I saw was shocking, even by "dodgy courier" standards.

The video clearly shows the driver get out of his van, walk to the top of the steps that lead down to my front door, then stop, turn around and get back into his van and drive off.

I had left the bass in my front porch ready for collection, so if he had bothered to walk down the steps, he would have seen the bass sitting there because the porch has clear windows.

Obviously I reported this to DPD, and sent the video to them, but there was no apology, or offer of compensation, all they said was that they will attempt delivery the next day.

From now on, if I order anything online, I call the store first to ask which courier they use, and if they tell me it's DPD, then I won't order from them.

Driver Spot.jpg

DPD Collection Details.jpg

Edited by thebrig
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Next time you complain don't mention you have a video. They'll talk to the driver who will give them some bullpois. That's when you produce the video. Managers hate being caught out in a lie and there's a good chance driver would get the sack.  I use this technique when gradsing up lorry drivers who try and kill me when I'm out cycling.

• Like 3

DPD are my courier of choice. I know all three of the delivery drivers that do my address route by name and even go out to the High Street in my wheel chair to meet them if the app says I’m next on the schedule. 
They know I’m disabled and make a point of bringing my stuff to my door if I’m not out to meet them rather than leaving stuff in my alley like some other couriers do. 
Stuff is a nice word. Stuff stuff stuff. 

• Like 1

It’s a shame but sadly the bad actions of one employee often impact on companies as a whole. The reality is the poor actions are reflecting the individual  and their attitudes but the employer is generally the one that takes the heat.

• Like 2

In the last year I have had four DPD collections arranged. For three of them, the driver didn't turn up (I was in all day on all three occasions and on one I watched the van sail past my house without stopping). When I finally found a contact number, the customer service department were apologetic (as they should be) and on two occasions confirmed that the driver hadn't been near my house as shown on their GPS tracking system. The first time the driver claimed there was no package to pick up (probably correct as he was at the wrong house). If it was me, at that point I'd check the address to make sure it was correct. The other two times he was told that the package had already been collected. Not sure who told him but that would be a heck of a coincidence if the places he'd been to also had collections by DPD scheduled that day. In all cases the collections were eventually made. I've raised two official complaints with DPD (no action expected) and one with the company who organised the collections. 

I have to say that their deliveries are fine; quick and on time.  

Similar experiences here with DPD. 

On two occasions I've had drivers stop outside my house, wait a moment, then leave. Both occasions were when they were supposed to collect an item, if fact on both occasions they were Mesa Boogie Powerhouse cabs (a long saga with GuitarGuitar which they worked very well to resolve) and a PJB can destinedfor Ireland. The second time, I saw the van, took photos, zoomed in on the number plate, van number and face of the driver, and low and behold, he just drove off...

After calling DPD, they got in touch with the driver who was made to return immediately, he very begrudgingly collected both cabs (one was being the PJB cab destined for Ireland), and when putting them in the van I saw him kick (like he was taking a penalty!) another parcel that was on the floor of the van, he kicked it with such force that the item hit the back wall of the van.

Despite both cabs being unbelievably clearly labelled, they then managed to deliver the GuitarGuitar Mesa cab to Ireland and the PJB cab to GuitarGuitar!!!

Drives DO NOT like collecting large parcels, it takes up room in their van and quickly pushes them over their vans weight limit, so they drive up to your door, wait a moment to trigger their trackers that show to their bosses 'they were there', then they bugger off and go and collect the little things of which they can fit more in the van and thus get paid more. 

I do blame the drivers, but I also very much blame the lay structure that encourages thus behaviour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spacecowboy said:

I just don’t understand why you’d turn up, pretend to pick something up and then just leave!? 

Dude it’s your job!

That's what baffled me, he was a regular driver for my address, and he would know that I usually leave the porch door unlocked if I was expecting a delivery or collection, why he didn't bother walking down the steps to the door after actually driving down my driveway to my house, still mystifies me. 🤔

I believe they do this turn up and run trick as the tracker in the van shows where they've been QED.. They couldn't claim to have attempted pick up from a given address if they were down the caff or something! 

As mentioned before it's just a scheme to save a few minutes, which will add up considerably in a day's "work" 

18 minutes ago, thebrig said:

That's what baffled me, he was a regular driver for my address, and he would know that I usually leave the porch door unlocked if I was expecting a delivery or collection, why he didn't bother walking down the steps to the door after actually driving down my driveway to my house, still mystifies me. 🤔

As mentioned in my post above, its to do with the size and weight of the collection - the larger and the heavier the items they collect, the less other items they can collect and thus the less they get paid. They're system will show the size and weight, so they pull up, get out, then don't knock and get back in the van and drive away. That way their trackers show to their bosses that they were there and then they can go on and collect 3 or 4 smaller parcels instead of your one big one. It's a shìt system and it promotes a terrible service. 

• Like 2