Why become a member? ×

Simulating Effects Send/Return on a Multi

stewblack

I have found I like to have certain pedals in the effects loop of my amp and others between the bass and the amp input.

Call me crazy if you will, but it's how I roll.

Now, imagine using a multi effects unit with an effects loop. How do I simulate to his set up? In other words if I'm using the multi as an amp and the actual amp just for oomph (typically by plugging into the amp's return socket) where in the chain do I place the two different effects?

On a real amp the effects loop will usually be after the preamp but before the power amp and cab. If your MFX doesn't go that granular, I'd guess after the amp block but before any cab sim would be technically the closest you can get, but it will depend on how much the power section is adding to the tone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, velvetkevorkian said:

On a real amp the effects loop will usually be after the preamp but before the power amp and cab. If your MFX doesn't go that granular, I'd guess after the amp block but before any cab sim would be technically the closest you can get, but it will depend on how much the power section is adding to the tone.

Thank you.

Honestly - when you have that flexibility (I have 4 external loops on my helix and can place them anywhere) you can try it all.

A physical rig might limit you to putting a pedal between the preamp and the poweramp / cab, but you can try it after the cab if you want.

Depending on what the multi is, you can even build it all backwards. Bass into cab, into FX, then into the amp dead last.

There's some amazingly fun / utterly useless sounds to be found this way!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, stewblack said:

The effects loop can be moved around. I guess I'm asking before or after the 'amp' in the multi effects

Wherever you like it to be! On both the Helix and Neural Quad Cortex, (and many more) you can even put the effects loop between and amplifier and a cabinet, if that's what you fancy! Indeed, all of my time based effects, modulations and the like always appear after any amplifier or cabinet sounds - so, as if they were applied later at mixing, not as pedals in a live rig, if you see what I mean?

Ultimately the beauty of multi-effects is in being able to try things that you couldn't do in the real world without extra hardware. I love that flexibility.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Honestly - when you have that flexibility (I have 4 external loops on my helix and can place them anywhere) you can try it all.

A physical rig might limit you to putting a pedal between the preamp and the poweramp / cab, but you can try it after the cab if you want.

Depending on what the multi is, you can even build it all backwards. Bass into cab, into FX, then into the amp dead last.

There's some amazingly fun / utterly useless sounds to be found this way!

Ahh, sorry, I missed your post basically saying exactly the same thing! Thanks mate :)