Why become a member? ×

Learning to Play through the Pain of Arthritis--Anybody Else?

ChWillie

This is not a self-pity party.  I write a column for a local news outlet, and I've just written an article for Saturday's paper about a hero of mine whose name I never knew but whom I saw playing [30 years ago] through the pain of arthritis, and I'm doing my best to remember his example and heroic determination as I battle arthritis now.

I went to the surgeon last week.  To paraphrase: "There are so many things going on in your thumb, thumb joint, wrist, and tendons, that it would take four operations to repair them, and even then, you'd have minimal results. Rheumatoid and osteo arthritis, tears in the cartilage, thumb bone destruction at the joint, very little cartilage there, benign cysts on your wrist. If you have the surgeries, you'll really be no better off and you'll likely have less movement and more pain."

I was gutted at first--I thought modern medicine could fix my hand(s) and have me back to playing like I could a few years ago.  How ignorant was I?

Since his diagnosis, I've felt so frustrated, trying to play decently but the hands not cooperating.  And then I had a talk with myself: I'll never have the ability to get back where I was, so I have to accept what I've got and learn to play differently, to have different goals as a player and writer.  This morning, I sat down with my Ric 330 and Les Paul for a bit of writing, then turned my attention to my Jack Casady bass (it's my latest, and I just love it).  I can't use a plectrum anymore, and even using my fingers, I can only play in 10 minute increments before I'm aching. I will never be able to play full sets live again.  Maybe a song or two at an open mic.

I've found some thumb exercises that help. I hold the basal joint of my thumb, then stretch my thumb to my lower palm.  Doing this 10 times makes playing with my thumb less painful.

Have you had the same experience?  If so, what do you do that has been helpful to you?

And just because we can post pics, here's my Jack Casady on the bass tree. B7450802-78FB-40DB-B8A0-76FE68FAF581.thumb.jpeg.cbc82cd34f4855a5e62e497572468209.jpeg17564212-E097-4EBE-BCDD-71D98620BFFD.thumb.jpeg.0e6aba7ec587838973cda17b660e0751.jpeg

Edited by ChWillie
  • Sad 3

I suffer with arthritis  - so much so that I had to cut back on the amount I practiced over the winter. 

There's a whole thread on potential "cures" but the consensus was live with it while you can,  it's inevitable that you will have to give up playing at some point. 

• Sad 2

Same.

Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, CFS, and all that goes with it.

It's getting for 18 years since my last band, and I'm still dreaming about gigs we played/wanted to play every night.

I just do what I can, when I can. My calluses are gone. Not enough playing. A lot of the time I'm just too tired to concentrate. (Must be all them nocturnal gigs, eh ? :lol:)

As I got worse, I stopped being able to get out and about and haven't seen anyone from any band I've played with for years. Basschat helps a lot, but there's no substitute for a good gig.

Keep at it as long as you can, but don't overdo it.

Take care.

• Like 1

I'm suffering with painful finger joints due to arthritis so know what you are going. My Mother suffered really badly in later life so it has come as no surprise.

I've taken Turmeric for years and it does seem to help. I also use Flexiseq if it's really bad. Not cheap, but does seem to work and recommended by the British Arthritis Society.

The major change, that had been a game changer, is moving to 32" scale bass. I couldn't believe a bass that's only 2" shorter in scale could make such a difference, but it has. I've sold all my standard scale basses but finding 32" scale 5ers is proving difficult.

• Like 2

I'm sorry to hear that you all suffer too, but I'm happy that at least we understand each other's situation.

I am lucky in that my chording hand is okay. 

Well, I will probably have to give up with playing with a pick or fingers, but I will find a way to play, even if I have to strap some prosthetic device to my hand.  I've just ordered some Black Mountain Picks that look interesting.  

I wish you all the best in dealing with the problem and the pain.  

Try using a Powerball gyroscope exerciser. You can get them from Amazon at all price points, but you don’t need the screen or flashing lights. I got a basic Powerball for about £35. It worked for my wrist injury… it may or may not work for you. Takes a bit of getting used to… first couple of times it just dies on you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2pods said:

Same.

Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, CFS, and all that goes with it.

It's getting for 18 years since my last band, and I'm still dreaming about gigs we played/wanted to play every night.

I just do what I can, when I can. My calluses are gone. Not enough playing. A lot of the time I'm just too tired to concentrate. (Must be all them nocturnal gigs, eh ? :lol:)

As I got worse, I stopped being able to get out and about and haven't seen anyone from any band I've played with for years. Basschat helps a lot, but there's no substitute for a good gig.

Keep at it as long as you can, but don't overdo it.

Take care.

This exactly. 

• Like 1

I have severe spinal arthritis and been on prescription drugs for over a decade to manage constant pain. Playing at home for my own enjoyment is all i do and certainly better than not playing at all. I miss gigging a lot. 
One thing that hasn’t changed is my enthusiasm and desire to play. Music is always on my mind, so when I’m able I’m straight in the studio to play. I have 3 days a week on my own because my wife works and I can’t care for my little son on my own, so those days I’m in the studio all the time even if I’m just sitting chilling watching music videos as I don’t go out as it causes me too much pain. I don’t know wtf I’d do if I didn’t have my little studio, just being amongst music stuff is nice and every time I close the door and lock myself in I say outloud I love it in here!
my dad played until the day he died and I hope I manage to do the same. 

Edited by DTB
  • Like 4

Great way to see it, DTB.  I'm sorry for your pain.  I also miss gigging a lot.  Fortunately, I can record--with the finished product, no one can tell that it takes so much cutting and pasting to make a whole song.  The magic of technology, right?

• Like 2

It's not a path for everyone, but I gambled on the fact that cortisone injections had helped me hugely with sports injuries back in the day; in November my left wrist was so painful that I had to take a break from my band (they found deps) and had X-rays - diagnosis was degenerative arteosclerosis, nothing to be done except take PKs and stop playing. I eventually browbeat my GP into letting me try the cortisone path - he was dubious, but gave me two injections in one session directly into the affected area. As a result, two weeks later (touch wood!) I had no symptoms at all and restarted gigging on NYE. Maybe I'm just lucky, but it is a possible way ahead if you're desperate - I certainly was.    

• Like 3

I actually tried cortisone shots. They were ineffective. But thanks for the suggestion. I had hoped for at least a short time of relief.  I’m lucky that it doesn’t hurt when my hand is at rest.  I’m trying hard to see the good side of things.   Otherwise, it’s misery and frustration, and I’m just not going to let that happen.  

15 hours ago, BassBunny said:

I'm suffering with painful finger joints due to arthritis so know what you are going. My Mother suffered really badly in later life so it has come as no surprise.

I've taken Turmeric for years and it does seem to help. I also use Flexiseq if it's really bad. Not cheap, but does seem to work and recommended by the British Arthritis Society.

The major change, that had been a game changer, is moving to 32" scale bass. I couldn't believe a bass that's only 2" shorter in scale could make such a difference, but it has. I've sold all my standard scale basses but finding 32" scale 5ers is proving difficult.

If your normal scale length was a 5 string it was probably 35”?

I know for certain that the stingray 5 is 34 not 35 as is the Yamaha East sig model. I think a 32 5 would be poor to play, maybe go 34 5 and play it on the good days or at least the not so bad days??

As an experiment… put on a capo, say second fret… and tune the bass down. This might help to decide if a 30” scale might work for you. 

Or… keep one bass set up this way for a bit of relief when you need it. You may also consider getting an Ashbory bass… I see the Bass Centre in the UK are now selling cool-looking versions. Again, it might provide relief on bad days, as well as a different double-bassy tone. I’ve seen pro gigs with an Ashbory… the bass player used it in the first set for more acoustic-y bluesy stuff.

I found a fretless was easier on my hands, done most of my serious gigs with one, with slightly lighter strings.

The fact that you get no pain while resting is a real positive.

1 hour ago, Trueno said:

As an experiment… put on a capo, say second fret… and tune the bass down. This might help to decide if a 30” scale might work for you. 

Or… keep one bass set up this way for a bit of relief when you need it. You may also consider getting an Ashbory bass… I see the Bass Centre in the UK are now selling cool-looking versions. Again, it might provide relief on bad days, as well as a different double-bassy tone. I’ve seen pro gigs with an Ashbory… the bass player used it in the first set for more acoustic-y bluesy stuff.

I found a fretless was easier on my hands, done most of my serious gigs with one, with slightly lighter strings.

The fact that you get no pain while resting is a real positive.

Oh crikey yes fretless is an excellent idea. Mine is really easy to play with a super low action and I’ve used it on a couple of recordings and once it’s in the mix you really have to listen to hear its a fretless. Great idea Trueno. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DTB said:

If your normal scale length was a 5 string it was probably 35”?

I know for certain that the stingray 5 is 34 not 35 as is the Yamaha East sig model. I think a 32 5 would be poor to play, maybe go 34 5 and play it on the good days or at least the not so bad days??

Nope, they were all 34" scale. I picked up an Ibanez Mezzo 5 string for a great price to test the theory and it really is a revelation. All my 34" scales have gone including two £3k ACG's.

I have had some relief using a practice glove. They are available via eBay and Amazon. It will not work miracles, but the extra warmth makes playing much easier. You can just see the white glove in the blurry pic from New Year's Eve 2022.

Weirdly, only Amazon do a beige one, eBay have black or white. I have only had one comment at a gig, telling me I forgot to put the right-hand one on. I did not laugh.

874401547_whiteGlove.png.a64c113974642d1bbe6e5ad88894cd1d.png

Edited by Chienmortbb

My fretting hand is good. It's my picking hand that has the problem.  I'm a lefty, and it's my left hand that bothers me.  

Yesterday, I enjoyed the 20 minutes playing time I had. I was very careful to stretch first and to take a light approach.  I can't grip a plectrum, so it was bare fingers/thumb playing, and even that is challenging.  Still, I took it easy and had a good, if short, time.

9 minutes ago, ChWillie said:

My fretting hand is good. It's my picking hand that has the problem.  I'm a lefty, and it's my left hand that bothers me.  

Yesterday, I enjoyed the 20 minutes playing time I had. I was very careful to stretch first and to take a light approach.  I can't grip a plectrum, so it was bare fingers/thumb playing, and even that is challenging.  Still, I took it easy and had a good, if short, time.

Oh, sorry.  Have you tried lighter gauge strings? It may help.

• Like 1

Not sure if you can get this to work without my password, by all means give it a go and let me know. 

https://patient-portal.physiotec.ca/?session=BbYnOUlWapbBFJq5uxwIz59KUYVOS55X8ukRSOXV

DIFFICULTY

Please exs - 3-5/week. Some pain and discomfort is expected. pace out the exs and build up gradually.

START

1 Thumb abd./ext. stretch

SETS:1

REPS:5

HOLD:20-30 secs  image.thumb.png.c08113290632d7c4284cb45c90112e56.png

image.thumb.png.392796b5507bf4d704fe584d1596e19d.png

DIFFICULTY

Hold your thumb in your hand with your fingers and deviate your wrist towards your little finger.

VIDEO

2 Tendon gliding combo

SETS:2-4

REPS:8-15  image.thumb.png.680212c0c45dc00e03b324facacb2879.png

image.thumb.png.ec48426b1aa7e02533b2fb3adb49b9a7.png

DIFFICULTY

Start with your hand and fingers straight and in line with your forearm.

Without moving your wrist do the following movement and reset your fingers to the starting position between each:

1- flex the two last knuckles of your fingers

2- curl your fingers to form a fist (without the thumb)

3- flex your metacarpophalangeal joint only to form an angle of 90 degrees between your fingers and your hand

4- flex the fingers straight to form a 90 degree angle with the hand then flex between the first and second phalanx so the tip of your fingers come straight in the palm of the hand. Keep the second and third phalanx in a straight line.

VIDEO

3 Fingers flexion, putty/ball

REPS:8-15

image.thumb.png.59788f34b7930e3ee200fa9da25471fa.png

image.thumb.png.34e760419cbe4768d19ae23a680dc993.png

DIFFICULTY

Bend your finger and press on the putty or a soft ball.

VIDEO

4 MCP extension, elastic

image.png.09f70805b13019e4549d07844db65d3b.png image.png.63e35a3c0c1c30289a84298c3b5e9340.png

DIFFICULTY

Push on the elastic with your fingers to straighten them.

VIDEO

5 Thumb Extension

image.png.4e377ec1657a585004713acd029fd283.png image.png.d10d927068f8be27afbef2f547333006.png

DIFFICULTY

Place an elastic band around your thumb and fingers.

Pull thumb sideways against the elastic.

VIDEO

6 Finger abduction w/ elastic

image.png.64c27e165fbd83048955ff9b59e93b81.png image.png.adcf23182a3048d631e10d24dff16adc.png 

DIFFICULTY

Lie on your back.

Place an elastic around your fingers.

Spread your fingers apart as much as you can.

Hold for the recommended time.

Relax your fingers.

To progress, repeat with a thicker elastic around your fingers.

VIDEO

7 Extensors stretching

SETS:1

REPS:5

HOLD:20-30 secs

image.thumb.png.25ab704512a3af967d114a23e86d607f.png

image.thumb.png.f2e3d922878faf9c1a889fd03d6705a9.png

DIFFICULTY

Place the arms at chest height with elbows bent and hands together.

With the back of each hand touching each other, raise the wrists till a stretch is felt on top of the forearm.

Hold the stretch.

VIDEO

8 Wrist extension

image.thumb.png.75c09c69dd69a517b414b92ec4742419.png

image.thumb.png.5b6b7536316528b3da8c2c82db807013.png

DIFFICULTY

Place your forearm along an armrest or table with your wrist hanging over the edge and palm facing down.

With a weight in your hand, lift the hand towards the ceiling.

Lower slowly and repeat.

VIDEO

9 Wrist flexion

image.thumb.png.a2cbdda46bc29c57c7d396e097e82095.png

image.thumb.png.474dab670d7283330af68b231fb63882.png

DIFFICULTY

Place your forearm along an armrest or table with wrist hanging over the edge and palm facing up.

With a weight in your hand, lift the hand towards the ceiling.

Lower slowly and repeat.

VIDEO

10 Fingers extension, putty

image.png.eb2884f8994bb0a30d4ded44729ed4e1.png image.png.14b75052cb83d5ee6b35c197fec19347.png

DIFFICULTY

Open up your fingers against the putty.

VIDEO

11 Thumb pinch w/ putty

image.png.268464ec4d85bf9cf3d791007c8f0bf2.png image.png.eb8774b0d3943ce3aa2df2b3d537c710.png

DIFFICULTY

Place the putty in your hand and flex the fingers slightly. Press the thumb in the putty against the index finger.

Make sure not to push the thumb under the index.

Reshape the putty and repeat.

Hope that somebody gets some benefit from this.

image.png

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1