Why become a member? ×

Pfretzschner

Blartfactor10

Very lucky indeed - at that price it's a steal. Or is that steel? Anyway.

I put in a single bid at £2000 just in case I got lucky, but I already have an ally DB and I really don't need another one so I didn't bother to counter-bid when it went past me.

• Like 1

I’ve already expressed my disgust to Chris in a personal message….

Only kidding. Good addition to the Basschat family. 

My worry is that it would end up being shipped off somewhere else to be in a display case. Seems that won’t happen here. 

Can’t wait to see the unboxing video 🙂

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I think that's a really fair price for the bass. I was alerted that 4 people were bidding at the end of the auction, so I have no doubts I would have been outbid by someone. Luckily it was Chris. 

Frankly I'm amazed it went as low as it did Lawrie, bad time of year to sell such a unique instrument for sure (equals good time to buy one). It's going to be an interesting journey with this, I loved the tone in the video the seller posted but as is so often the case with DB, the tone is most likely the player's and not the instrument's. I've been playing the same DB for almost 8-years now, a big and powerful 4/4, so it was time for a change 👍

3 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Frankly I'm amazed it went as low as it did Lawrie, bad time of year to sell such a unique instrument for sure (equals good time to buy one). It's going to be an interesting journey with this, I loved the tone in the video the seller posted but as is so often the case with DB, the tone is most likely the player's and not the instrument's. I've been playing the same DB for almost 8-years now, a big and powerful 4/4, so it was time for a change 👍

Alls well that ends well, it seems Wes may have something that works slightly better for me. I’m not disappointed in the slightest, think we’re all excited to see how you get on with it. 

I think a few of us would really love to see some demo videos or hear some sound recordings when you’re able to.  

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I feel duty-bound to point out that, had I known there were two Basschatters with a genuine interest in buying that bass, I would of course NOT have bid at all. 🙄

As Beattie once pointed out (ask your Mum), "It's good to talk". 😉

Thanks @Happy Jack, I put a bid on early doors and watched it go up towards £2k pretty quickly, I shred it here because I assumed someone with more cash than me on here would snag it, I knew what my limit would be an also knew I'd put it on with about 10 secs to go. Frankly I was bloody surprised and not a little overjoyed to win it. It's stays within BC which means several of the usual suspects will own at one time or another I'm sure 👍

Shall we do an A-B with the two Ali DB's at a bass bash sometime soon?

• Like 1

Mine's shinier than yours! 👽

I could have 'snagged it', as you say, but I already have three DBs here ...

Obvs I have no idea how your new baby will sound, but be aware that I ended up using a twin-pickup system on mine to tame the Mad Oildrum Syndrome. I have one under the bridge foot to pick up the sound of the body, i.e. the oildrum, and one using the rockabilly approach (bridge wing + under the end of the fingerboard) to pick up the sound of the strings & slap ... then I feed both signals through that rather nice EA Doubler I bought from you last year, self-mix, and feed a single signal to the board. 

And no, you can't have it back.

😂

• Haha 1

Pretty grim in small venues, much less so on festival stages. If it gets started it can be very difficult to control (remember I'm self-mixing the signal that goes to the board) so I have foam f-hole blockers permanently in place. They work really well and I can't recall the last time I suffered from aluminium feedback.

@Silvia Bluejay, can you remember?

43 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Thanks Jack, do you use DIY foam blockers or is there a good product available? Hoping to be playing mostly outdoor gigs with this but want to be prepared :) 

You should be able to take a template (or even take the bass) to a foam cutters and they'll do it for you. 

These are available, but the price is pretty crazy for such a simple item. And looking at it, the construction of these is pretty rustic...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/duke_f_hole_cover_gfk_black.htm

10 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

You should be able to take a template (or even take the bass) to a foam cutters and they'll do it for you. 

These are available, but the price is pretty crazy for such a simple item. And looking at it, the construction of these is pretty rustic...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/duke_f_hole_cover_gfk_black.htm

Thanks Lawrie, kinda hoping I won't need them but think I might need to be prepared. Worry with DIY foam etc is the risk of it ending up inside the instrument (which might have happened before.............) 👍 

4 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Thanks Lawrie, kinda hoping I won't need them but think I might need to be prepared. Worry with DIY foam etc is the risk of it ending up inside the instrument (which might have happened before.............) 👍 

Haha, yes, I can imagine that being a problem! When I took an old bass into a luthier he found two plastic spiders and a crayon in there.

Given the simplicity of these foam blockers I reckon I could pretty easily get one made from a firm here and we could test them out. I'll give it some thought today. 

5 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Haha, yes, I can imagine that being a problem! When I took an old bass into a luthier he found two plastic spiders and a crayon in there.

Given the simplicity of these foam blockers I reckon I could pretty easily get one made from a firm here and we could test them out. I'll give it some thought today. 

IIRC there was a guy on here who's kid pushed a pack of playing cards through his F-Hole.........

Re blockers, thanks mate, keep me posted 👍

Well done Beedster, an actual bargain IMO, mines a round back with a deuce bridge and yes, it sounds different to a carved/ply bass but with a bit of work, (F hole foam) and some common sense you can get them to sound pretty much in the ball park. If you have any questions about my experience with my Pfretzschners just pm me 😉

• Thanks 1