Why become a member? ×

Danny Thompson on You Tube

MrCrane

Thanks for that. I’ve had a quick look at the 2 videos from ‘88 and Danny has his bass height very low compared to what I’ve seen as the recommended height (I’m new to upright and recently acquired my first EUB), I might give a lower setting a go (good enough for DT and all that).

Danny T is a pretty big bloke, he's standing up and his bass isn't huge; he already has the spike a long way out; it doesn't look that unusual to me.  Also, he holds his bass rather "sideways on" compared to the current norm.  So maybe not perfect by a teacher's standards anyway.

I'm around 5'9" and have a rather long scale 4/4 bass, probably have it a bit higher than Danny (only 4" of spike out), in part to get my bowing arm in a comfy place and also to reach the higher notes, a teacher noted that I was bowing over the fingerboard and raising the bass would put my bow lower down; if playing purely pizz it can go down a bit.

I wouldn't obssess about bass height.  It's comfort and being able to reach all the notes you want to play that matter, if you put it too high then half and first position will be uncomfortable (your lower arm is higher up and will tire quickly, and too low will stop you reaching the highest notes (if you ever go there) - combined size of man and bass DT can doubtless reach all he notes he needs with the bass fairly low.

Have a look at the recomended music to listen to thread and you'll see all kinds of stance - including people playing "new dutch school" method in which you sit with both feet on the floor, the bass quite low and sloped a long way out, more like a cello.  One of the wonderful things about double bass is the variety (in size, shape, sound and method of playing the damned thing).

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, NickA said:

Danny T is a pretty big bloke, he's standing up and his bass isn't huge; he already has the spike a long way out; it doesn't look that unusual to me.  Also, he holds his bass rather "sideways on" compared to the current norm.  So maybe not perfect by a teacher's standards anyway.

I'm around 5'9" and have a rather long scale 4/4 bass, probably have it a bit higher than Danny (only 4" of spike out), in part to get my bowing arm in a comfy place and also to reach the higher notes, a teacher noted that I was bowing over the fingerboard and raising the bass would put my bow lower down; if playing purely pizz it can go down a bit.

I wouldn't obssess about bass height.  It's comfort and being able to reach all the notes you want to play that matter, if you put it too high then half and first position will be uncomfortable (your lower arm is higher up and will tire quickly, and too low will stop you reaching the highest notes (if you ever go there) - combined size of man and bass DT can doubtless reach all he notes he needs with the bass fairly low.

Have a look at the recomended music to listen to thread and you'll see all kinds of stance - including people playing "new dutch school" method in which you sit with both feet on the floor, the bass quite low and sloped a long way out, more like a cello.  One of the wonderful things about double bass is the variety (in size, shape, sound and method of playing the damned thing).

I dropped my EUB so that the nut is around my eye level (like Danny), as opposed to forehead height that beginner’s guides seem to favour. Ooh, that’s better, feels more comfy and I seem to play more in tune too. Result!

My bass is so big that I'd have to stand on a box to get the nut at eye level!!! 

Exageration: standing up to play pizz, the nut is a couple of inches above eye level.  If it's comfy, do it.  I'm guessing you can reach the upper registers more easily on an EUB than on a DB as you don't have all that wood work to reach around!

1 hour ago, NickA said:

My bass is so big that I'd have to stand on a box to get the nut at eye level!!! 

Exageration: standing up to play pizz, the nut is a couple of inches above eye level.  If it's comfy, do it.  I'm guessing you can reach the upper registers more easily on an EUB than on a DB as you don't have all that wood work to reach around!

Yeah it’s super easy, but I regard that as a bad thing. You can get stick on rubber thingies that, once attached, can indicate where the body begins on a proper DB and I think I might get a couple so that if I’m called on to play a DB, I won’t have upper register reach shock. TBH I try and play everything in the first 5 positions and don’t stray too far south at all. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, fleabag said:

The most wondrously musical DB player i've ever heard.  If anyone doesnt know the Solid Air album by John Martyn, it's worth every penny. Thompson is prolific on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg_Utj4Aljc

I would pay good money just to watch Danny tuning up.

The work he did with John on the BBC's Transatlantic Sessions is well worth checking out (and features a stellar rendition of Solid Air).

Edited by MrCrane
  • Like 2