Why become a member? ×

Practice amp with DI out

robinhowlett

I'm currently practising through an Orange Crush 25 which I am very happy with. However, our guitarist wants to put all jams into his desk now, so that we've captured everything and he has asked me to replace it with an amp that has a DI output. I have a stage rig, which I am very happy with (Ashdown) but I don't want to lug it to rehearsal (it's big and heavy). Any suggestions for a practice amp that sounds at least as gooid as the Crush 25, weighs about the same and doesn't take up a massive amount of space – but has a DI output? I appreciate your thoughts. I'm playing a Warwick fretless (original German Corevette bubinga with ebony) and an ESP LTD B204SM. Thank you.

27 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Try an Orchid  DI.  http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/classic_DI.htm 

I have two of them and they are great. 

They are great (I have 4 - two of the minis and two full sized), but they are active only. Not a problem if the desk has phantom, but if not, he'll need a passive. The Palmer gets my vote for a decent inexpensive passive DI.

A Behringer BD121 will do the job well for you I reckon.

Currently advertised at Andertons for £24.99, they are a Sansamp rip off, combining

a pre amp and active DI . Really useful bit of kit, and sound great.

If you really want to change your combo, a s/h Fender Rumble 100v3 has a great 

DI, is only a couple of pounds heavier than your Orange and can be used for 

smaller gigs. They sound ace, and can be picked up s/h for c.£150.

• Like 1

Some excellent suggestions here, thank you!

I am going to investigate the passive DI box first, which I have to admit I have never come across before (I'm old school, 62 years old... LOL). In answer to "Why not just stick a mic in front of the Orange Crush?" – which was my first reaction, the answer is that he wants a very clean signal so that he can do all sorts of stuff in the desk without background noises being picked up. But yes, that was my first reaction.

• Like 2