Why become a member? ×

Something different required. Hofner or...?

Rusty Spanner

Hiya!

Returnee with a Cort B4 Element, which I love, but GAS has raised it's cruel, cruel head......

Love the Cort's slim neck and it's wide range of tones, but fancy something a bit different. 

Soooo, a trip to Promenade to try pretty much everything they have (thanks folks) has given me some ideas. 

I thought I wanted a P bass, turns out I don't. Not yet anyway. 

Or a J. 

The two that felt most natural were the Squier Bronco and the Hofner Club Ignition. 

The Player Jag was nice too, but the hands don't lie....and the Hofner and the Bronco just felt right.

OK with doing a bit of tweaking and setup. 

A project might be fun. 

Any alternative suggestions?

Definitely short scale. 

No veneers, unless laminated hollow bodies. 

Slim feeling neck. 

No more roasted maple. Ugly as....

I do love the P bass sound, but also the Hofner thump. I'd be happy with either. 

Not fussed about the brand.

Flexible on price but under a grand, ideally. 

Tend to keep things. 

If I could afford it I'd buy a Rickenbacker, but y'know. 

Play mostly psych rock, but also some reggae and old school soul. 

All suggestions most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Rusty Spanner

I would suggest two basses, depending upon whether you favoured the Club or the Bronco.

A Danelectro 56 single cut is similar in vibe to the Hofner but a far superior instrument all round.  it will do the thud just fine, it will also do clank if you want clank.  It can also do a passable J bass.  I had both at the same time at one point and could easy make the comnparison.

A Harley Benton PB-Shorty, which is a familar solid-body like the Bronco but in a different league.  Forget the price tag.  I bought one with the intention of modding it but, straight out of the box, it is great.  Sounds like a old-school P bass, no nasal weakness like a Bronco.  Tuners aren't great but they work just fine.  Ignoring the price point it is a good bass.  Considering the price point it is a miracle.

Or one of these, Antoria New yorker

https://www.facebook.com/417013792399839/posts/antoria-new-yorker-bass-30inch-scale-12k-destiny-humbucking-pickup-designed-with/417053982395820/

OK, that was three.

• Like 1

There's a big shortscale thread with loads of ideas in it.

Worth a look. Lots of options.

My shorty is a cheap Jim Deacon P bass. It was a bit neck divey so I put some Hipshot ultralights on it and an Aguilar 60s wind pickup. 

It's a great bass. Really thumpy big tone.

Those basses come up on here or Ebay at about the £100-£150 range depending on condition. If you get a good one then it's definitely made well enough to be worthy of upgrade parts.

I'd like a Fender JMJ as well though!

• Like 1

I wanted a short scale and bought a Höfner Ignition Club a few months ago - put some GHS Precision Flats on it (very fetching purple silks…) and am very pleased with the results.

There’s a surprisingly pleasing variety of thumpy sounds from the two pickups, using either the volume controls or the pickup switches. As you’ll have found, the neck is quite narrow and deep, but the same profile the whole way up.

Fit and finish on mine was great at the price and overall I’m very happy.

2 hours ago, miles'tone said:

Another vote for the HB Shorty P.

It's a great bass, hilarious for the price. 

I gig mine regularly. Makes me think about the money I’ve wasted over the years 😊. Not as much as I’ve wasted on booze though 😆

DA7CE985-BECD-454F-8D7A-3C88850863EE.jpeg

• Like 1