Why become a member? ×

Something's missing............... GAS!

Beedster

For probably the first time in my bass-playing history I'm gassless! This isn't a claim made on the basis of a specific recent acquisition, neither is it a statement of hope or intent, it's simply a rather odd feeling I noticed earlier today when I logged on here.

OK, I recently acquired a Sadowsky PJ which is a pretty sexy beast, so no doubt that's got something to do with it, it might also be a function of the fact that I've now owned all the basses I'd always dreamed of owning: vintage Precisions, Jazzes, & Stingrays; a few Custom Shop models, a couple of Fleas, a Sonic Hammer, a fretless Wal (the latter being the last on my list to get crossed off).

I think however it's down to the fact that - at last - I've found the right set of gear with then right amount of options for my style. I'm currently playing

Sadowsky MV4HJP fretted
Fender MIJ Jazz fretted
Fender '77 Precison fretless
Fender '73 Jazz fretless

Through

Markbass R500
Markbass Traveller 102P
Markbass 151HF

The Sadowsky and the fretless Jazz get the most action, mostly through the 102, but the Precision through the 151 is incredible, pure bass loveliness and great for more jazzy-bluesy sets. The fretted Jazz is essentially a back up but has a tone I can't quite get on the MV4, especialy if I run it with flats through the 151, very Led Zep II. I've yet to run the MV4 through the 102 and the 151 stacked but can't wait!

Time will tell I guess, just wanted to share this unusual feeling (termed 'ULOGASS' or 'unanticipated lack of Gear Acquisition Syndrome syndrome') with y'all :)

[quote name='Raggy' post='470854' date='Apr 23 2009, 03:39 PM']It wont last :D[/quote]

Dudes

I didn't post as a challenge or battlecry, more out of curiosity really. I was just really surprised to find it had gone (let's face it, it's been part of me for a long time) :) Of course it might reappear, but that's not the point. The point is that in the past I've often said things like "I hope this is the bass that cures the GAS" or "That's it, no more new basses", but they were like New Year's Resolutions, just made to be broken. I guess what I'm saying is that it's like waking up on New Year's Day and actually not wanting a pint, rather than having to tell yourself you can't have one 'cos you made a resolution.

Of course, I might just be ill, mad, or possessed by aliens.

And before John suggests it, this is not a clever ruse to sell the '73 :rolleyes:

Chris

[quote name='OldGit' post='470868' date='Apr 23 2009, 03:56 PM']I find Harmonica a nice addition to the gear list
Handy for jams where there's already a bass player :)

Then you'll need one of these

[/quote]

Got one of those as well :rolleyes:

Congratulations.

Think I'm there too, except for a niggle about some kind of filter, but that way madness lies...

I hope it lasts for you (and me) for a considerable time. For instance, recently rather than logging on here and various other places, I've actually been practicing reading, the horror!

If I'm not careful I might work out what some of those arcane squiggles actually mean (I hope) :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='470886' date='Apr 23 2009, 04:10 PM']If I'm not careful I might work out what some of those arcane squiggles actually mean (I hope) :)[/quote]

I looked at some of those arcane squiggles a couple of days ago and they made sense! I wish tab had never been invented by those damned medieval lute players, it's such a difficult crutch to escape, especially since so many transcriptions have tab lurking underneath.

Alex

P.S. If anyone needs some GAS they're welcome to borrow a cab or two... :rolleyes: