Why become a member? ×

Fitting a neck to a body - screw hole size

Jono Bolton

Hopefully a straight forward question. I've got a P Bass neck and the screw holes in the heel are 3mm across; should I widen the holes first before trying to fit the screws, or should I leave them as they are and just go straight in? It's a new Fender neck so hasn't ever been fitted to anything before, hence why the holes are currently the size they are.

Agreed. Better to have the holes too tight than loose. Ease the screws in using a good quality screwdriver bit (don't use a powered driver) that doesn't slip in the heads and chew them up or jump out completely and scratch the body. Snug them up tight but no need to lean on them.

• Like 1

I also find it helps to go 'two twists forward, one twist back' to ensure that the threads in the screw are cutting clean threads in the wood. 

This is also a pretty essential technique with small wood screws, like those used on tuners, to avoid the nausea-inducing head shear (which usually happens on the last one you try to put in :facepalm: )

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've missed a few of the replies to this; pleased to report that the screws went into the heel with no issues. When I was looking at the screw holes, I thought they looked far too narrow, but on doing some further research, they were standard size, so I went for it the screws went straight in.

• Like 2