Why become a member? ×

Where do you put your thumb?

SteveXFR

On 18/12/2022 at 12:10, Grimalkin said:

When people try every which way be an apologist for bad technique, I know they can't play for s**t.

Wow you really are bitter aren’t you? Why not demonstrate your perfect technique to us and explain why you are so superior to everyone else?

Sod perfect technique, I picked up a bass for the first time recently to make a loud noise and hopefully make people dance and sing one day. I really don’t think they will care where my left thumb is. 

My right thumb will be holding a pick that’s for sure - if I’m playing my favourite music. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

Sod perfect technique, I picked up a bass for the first time recently to make a loud noise and hopefully make people dance and sing one day. I really don’t think they will care where my left thumb is. 

Improving your technique helps but you're right, never bother learning anything at all. That's the way.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

I picked up a bass for the first time recently to make a loud noise...

"The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias whereby people with low ability, expertise, or experience regarding a certain type of task or area of knowledge tend to overestimate their ability or knowledge."

Don't worry, this thread is full of it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect#:~:text=The Dunning–Kruger effect is,overestimate their ability or knowledge.

52 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

Wow you really are bitter aren’t you? Why not demonstrate your perfect technique to us and explain why you are so superior to everyone else?

My right thumb will be holding a pick that’s for sure - if I’m playing my favourite music. 

Despite laughing boy’s best efforts to make it seem as unappealing as possible, you really should learn a decent technique allow you to play as efficiently as possible. Once you have a reasonable mastery of technique, you no longer have to be a slave to it! It really doesn't matter too much if you use a pick or play fingerstyle, as long as you can do so efficiently. 

It is much easier to make people dance and sing if you can play the music with ease and can then concentrate on actually entertaining the audience. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The only real con the punks pulled off was convincing people that none of them could play their instruments or know anything about music.

Some of them actually could play (Clash, Damned and Stranglers) and generally those still going really can play now. I saw UK Subs recently supporting Bad Religion and they're seriously good now.

3 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Some of them actually could play (Clash, Damned and Stranglers) and generally those still going really can play now. I saw UK Subs recently supporting Bad Religion and they're seriously good now.

Err... I think that was my point, Steve; the idea that all punks were musical imbeciles was nonsense - but readily embraced by those looking to reinforce their prejudices.

2 hours ago, peteb said:

Despite laughing boy’s best efforts to make it seem as unappealing as possible, you really should learn a decent technique allow you to play as efficiently as possible. Once you have a reasonable mastery of technique, you no longer have to be a slave to it! It really doesn't matter too much if you use a pick or play fingerstyle, as long as you can do so efficiently. 

It is much easier to make people dance and sing if you can play the music with ease and can then concentrate on actually entertaining the audience. 

Why don't we have a friendly little play-off, then we can compare techniques and see what's what. How about a steady middle of the road number, Stevie Wonder's - Sir Duke? Something with a little movement. Jaco? Teen Town?

It shouldn't be a problem for your exceptional technique should it. I'm game, let's give the chaps something to look at.

I can't say fairer than that can I.

I think we might be getting a little bit out of topic here.
We all have our ideas, believes, etc. and they are all valid (within reason ;) ), but I feel like we should probably backtrack a bit and get back to talking about "where we position our fretting hand thumb" and less about "whatever I do with my thumb is better than what others do" (paraphrasing here).
I think the goal should be sharing experiences more than imposing ideas.
So, let's share and then people on the other side will do whatever they want with the info.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Why don't we have a friendly little play-off, then we can compare techniques and see what's what. How about a steady middle of the road number, Stevie Wonder's - Sir Duke? Something with a little movement. Jaco? Teen Town?

It shouldn't be a problem for your exceptional technique should it. I'm game, let's give the chaps something to look at.

I do't really think that's going to happen. I will tell you what, I play in a Led Zep tribute band that plays all over the country. There's bound to be a gig somewhere near you, so you can pay your £20 or whatever and come and take notes. Can't say fairer than that... 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

1q1myd.jpg

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

You know it isn't going to happen... Why's that then?

Because I'm too busy playing in a Led Zep tribute band that plays all over the country, not to mention a few other projects. What gigs are you playing these days? 

I used to think that my habit of muting the e string with my thumb sometimes when I play slap was a result of my self taught poor technique and I was fine with that.

A few years ago someone on here posted a link to an old Stu Hamm instructional video where he demonstrated the exact same technique.

If it's good enough for Stu Hamm...

4 minutes ago, peteb said:

Shall I ask again, what gigs are you doing these days? 

Teaching mostly, some recording, I've worked as a musician for over 30 years, 7 spent in music education, The Guitar Institute etc, I can't count the amount of gigs.  

I don't have to lump stuff around anymore. And I'm happy about that.

Anyway, which tune would you like to play?