Why become a member? ×

Fatback Band - "Do the bus stop" transcription

bloke_zero

I know it's only a handful of notes, but I'm struggling to work it out. There are a bunch of youtube versions all of which don't seem right except this guy:

But I can't quite see what he's doing.

Anyone know a good transcription, or where I can buy the sheet music? Thanks!

Main section The riff is the same notes played twice in every bar, but played slightly differently the second time.  

C D D A D  (the low D is followed by an open A then a D)  repeat with slightly different timing on the first 2 notes.

Middle 8   C C# D  low G.  Bb to B (hammer on the B).

This guy seems to be playing a low F and sliding to the G, but the original just hits the G, which makes more sense to me.

That's it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chris_b said:

Main section The riff is the same notes played twice in every bar, but played slightly differently the second time.  

C D D A D  (the low D is followed by an open A then a D)  repeat with slightly different timing on the first 2 notes.

This guy seems to be playing a low F and sliding to the G, but the original just hits the G, which makes more sense to me.

That's it.

Wow, thanks - that suddenly makes total sense and sounds right. I saw about 3 other youtube 'covers' that were resolutely not right!

On 07/12/2022 at 14:40, chris_b said:

That's it.

The middle sounds like F F# G on the Bass?

That original video (Reggaebass posted) sounds sharp as well which doesn't help when transcribing. This video below is better you can hear the verse riff easier as well over the D minor.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, chris_b said:

You are right. I was playing the right notes and writing down the wrong ones!!!

Sorry @bloke_zero

Nothing to apologise for! We've all been a 5th out. I was really struggling with the main riff.

21 hours ago, lowdown said:

The middle sounds like F F# G on the Bass?

That original video (Reggaebass posted) sounds sharp as well which doesn't help when transcribing. This video below is better you can hear the verse riff easier as well over the D minor.

This is a much clearer version for bass. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 14:07, bloke_zero said:

This is great! The only thing now is how do you mute that open D? With the open A after my normal right hand muting strategy isn’t working and left hand muting is hard because of the open string?

If you've got two consecutive open strings descending then the left hand has to mute the higher one - in this case the D gets muted at the exact split second that you pluck the open A. This is a hard thing to get used to at first but it's hugely important.

In general, the right hand takes care of all the strings below the one you're playing, the left hand mutes anything above the string being played.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...