Why become a member? ×

Modding a '66 Mustang (really?? really???)

Andyjr1515

Thanks 😊 I definitely cringe at some of the mistakes but I’ve now found an awesome way to record using the Moises app to remove bass from the source track and use my work laptop for the video, then sync in GarageBand (which I didn’t realise let you add video!)

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Really? Interesting!

Yeah I used to export the audio and sync in iMovie which was a real pain. But I tried dragging the video into GarageBand and it worked!! Syncing is much easier as you’re able to drag more accurately. Then you export as a video. I looked it up and it’s for adding soundtracks to films so it makes sense. Mine is an old version of GarageBand too. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ped said:

Yeah I used to export the audio and sync in iMovie which was a real pain. But I tried dragging the video into GarageBand and it worked!! Syncing is much easier as you’re able to drag more accurately. Then you export as a video. I looked it up and it’s for adding soundtracks to films so it makes sense. Mine is an old version of GarageBand too. 

Excellent!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Twincam said:

Fantastic.

Great work by Andy there. 

Nice playing and it's sounds great! 

Only thing is, i would of liked to of heard the bass in isolation, maybe before and after the work too. 

He's good isn't he? (Andy, not referring to myself in third person!)

I do have a claim of it before somewhere, it sounded very similar to be honest - the aim was to keep the 'mini P' character and I found the thunderbird pickup with one hot coil was a great mimic for the P sound whilst also filling the existing cavity/cutout. Now I've had time to get properly cork sniffer with the pickups I'm hearing a really nice almost stingray like top end from the pickup which adds a lot of definition.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

So how can you play that nice interesting Jazzy style when wearing a Rolling Stones T-Shirt? 🤣

Just like that. I play a Mustang while wearing a Precision T Shirt sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/11/2022 at 13:34, Andyjr1515 said:

For plugging the drill holes that I'm just about to make for the new bridge screw holes, dowelling is no good.  Why?  Because the grain runs along the length of a dowel and the circular bit is therefore end grain - which has insufficient screw-pull-out resistance.

And so I use a plug cutter on some similar strength/softness wood to the body.  For this one, I'm using mahogany which is closer in hardness to what is probably an alder body than, say, using maple.

nBVDKxFl.jpg

With a following saw cut, it releases the 'across the grain' dowels:

PpcSzeZl.jpg

CUbphiSl.jpg

And the plugs are in waiting for the wood glue to fully set. 

0M8MgvSl.jpg

All being well, tomorrow I will be able to drill to refit the bridge in its straightened position and then I can string it up with a couple of spare strings so that the pickup positions can be accurately marked :)

I have plug cutters but never thought about using dowels cut across instead of with the grain unless to match an existing grain in a body someone fd up.

Thanks for sharing this priceless tip.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...