Why become a member? ×

Brand new bass player in Bristol.

xzodar

Hi All

Just wanted to register and say hi, as I've been lurking here for some weeks and really appreciate some of the good information to be found.

I'm a sax player by trade, currently playing in a Bristol based 14 piece funk, soul, blues band (www.bringdownthehouse.org) but have found myself strangely drawn to the lower frequencies. (Possibly a sign is that I started on alto sax in the band 5 years ago and now play tenor and bari for them :huh: )

Anyway, I picked up a second hand bass earlier in the year and am teaching myself using the Hal Leonard books to start with. I am looking to get some lessons starting in the next couple of months, so if anyone has good recommendations for bass teacher in the Bristol area, please let me know.

I'm currently struggling with OFPF fingering. It's a bit of a stretch!! Any reccomendations to make this easier?

Gear is curently an SSD NS4 through a Roland Cube 100.

My aim at the moment is to get out and play my first gig on bass by March 2008 :)

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete and welcome, from a fellow Bristol bassist also in a big soul-r'n'b-pop-funk-lunacy band (see sig for details!) :)
There's a whole load of us Bristlers on here, we're going to have to organise another BC-Bristol night on the ale soon!

'Ow bist?

Welcome to the seemingly ever expanding league of Bristol based basschatters (try saying that after a few pints of Black Rat cider...)

Can't personally help you with teachers I'm afraid as having proper lessons was one of those things I'm always 'meaning to get round to', though I've heard good things about the guys in the Drum Bank on Gloucester Road. (http://www.drumbankmusic.co.uk/acatalog/Musical-Instrument-Tuition.html)

As for the stretching, it just comes with time - playing chromatic scales up and down the neck while sat in front of the TV seems to work for me!

Cheers

Dave
(Originally from N Ireland but been in Brizzle long enough to speak the language...)

Whereabouts in Bristol? I'm in Kingswood, not far from Shockwave and his collection of truly hideous basses. Hit me up on pm with an msn address, I'm cherful to show you some stuff for free if you fancy it, gives me a chance to talk basses, play someone elses bass and alienate my housemate for being every bad guitarist cliche there is.

[quote name='mhuk' post='49873' date='Aug 23 2007, 11:51 PM']What's OFPF?[/quote]

One Finger Per Fret

My book started off with 4 fingers covering 3 frets which is apparently comfortable to get a good groove going, but now I'm trying to look at some of the scales and exercises spanning accross 4 frets, it's a bit of a stretch.

The book talks about pivoting your hand slightly. I guess I just need lots of practice...

Mr Foxen. I'm in Stapleton, but am in Kingswood quite often. I'll send you a PM and hopefully we can set something up. Cheers!

Pete

[quote name='Wil' post='50043' date='Aug 24 2007, 11:48 AM']And here I am representing the Lawrence Weston contingent. Its all about the west side :huh: although I'd be quite happy to get out of Lawrence Weston to be honest, 3 times my house has been burgled! :)[/quote]

Ah L Dub - the paradise under the M5 :huh:

There's definitley more Brizzle bassed (ha!) people on here - I think a fair few of them are students though so they're not here all year round. Plus, not everyone made it through from Bassworld.

We did all get together once a few years ago but never managed it again. Perhaps the time is right....

Edited by TheRev

..and then there's me who's moving to Bristol in November/December time - if the ale night is a regular fixture then I might have to sign up!

Don't know where I'll be yet - hoping to be in/around the Horfield area around Gloucester Road (it's the only bit I liked when looking round!)

The Hatchet is having its usual bank holiday extravaganza on Sunday. Hot hot hotdog contest, whatever that is, but as far as I know it equates to free food!

[url="http://www.voodoojunkie.com/voodooboard/viewtopic.php?t=12537"]http://www.voodoojunkie.com/voodooboard/vi...pic.php?t=12537[/url]