Why become a member? ×

Best 5 or 6 string for soloing?

Billy Bongo

I have a 1964 Burns Bison Bass, a cheap Glarry and a 7 string fretless 'Prestige'. The 7 string is pretty good (if tricky to play), the Burns is great for gigs ( if heavy) and the Glarry is surprisingly good for a plank with strings, but I'm looking for a different more mellow sound for solos without thrashing the EQ. This forum has the most knowledgeable bass players on the planet so suggestions are welcome. I'm on tablets so my fingers are currently bananas!

If your fingers are bananas, forget the Ibanez range.

Try the MTD Kingston series, affordable and excellent basses for soloing or even accompanying even if they have a 35 inches scale.

Check the ads here as you might find your Graal quite easily with other brands.

• Like 1

These 2 in the ads are good choices, the Yamaha TRB-5P being certainly the best PJ fiver around, no kidding and the Pitza Kustom started as an Ibanez, but with a strings spacing going from 16.5 to 19 mm so ideally for banana fingers if you opt for the latter and the sum of the parts is way more than the asking price...

So you have an "high" and "low" price tag as you didn't mention the price.

Edited by Hellzero
2, not 3, I can't even count that far. 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any Ibanez SR or BTB. Very different ergonomics so you'll need to try before you buy. However Ibanez are very consistent dimensionally with modern basses, so play one SR (or BTB) 6 string and another will likely feel the same in terms of body and neck profile.

Tone is impossible to define in words, so I suggest looking at a model that interests you and look for YT clips, if not of the same model, but at least with the same pickups.

FTR, I have 4 SR and 1 BTB 6 string. I like them.

Edited by crazycloud
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 16:35, Billy Bongo said:

but I'm looking for a different more mellow sound for solos without thrashing the EQ.

I have no idea what that means. What sounds 'mellow' to you might not to anyone else. I'd be finding something I liked to play physically and swap in other pickups until I got the sound I wanted. Looking at what players who spend more time soloing play would help narrow it down for you, and would help others make suggestions. For example I have no problem 'soloing' on my Ibanez SRs and BTB when I'm in the mood to do so and they're used to play melodic lines with my friend when she pays her acoustic.

Edited by crazycloud

What do you mean by solos?  Is that playing solos in a band setting (live) or is it solo as in you on your own?  Live or at home?

What is the budget?  Also why 5 or 6 string?  Is the 5 string with the high C or the low B?

I guess you are going to get people mentioning their favorite brands.  I think Ibanez would be a sound advise, good quality and not too pricy.

I would always recommend Warwick because that is my preferred choice but that is just a personal choice.  I studied music in the 90s which included the usual classical music and jazz and improvisation.  I got an 89 Thumb 5 NT and I found it extremely good for all of this.  Upper access was easy for the soloing in that area and for chords especially having 26 frets.  I liked the sound and how it responded to right hand technique and I found it flexible with sound.  These basses are quite marmite and split opinion but I personally love it and I still have it and gig it regularly.  I do have a 6 fretless Thumb and same its great for exactly this.  I have found Streamer Stage 2 5 also be good for this but as I have said this is all personal preference and has suited me and my playing style over the years but just searching on this forum shows you Warwick splits opinions and everyone has their favorite.

• Like 1

On 27/11/2022 at 09:51, crazycloud said:

Any Ibanez SR or BTB. Very different ergonomics so you'll need to try before you buy. However Ibanez are very consistent dimensionally with modern basses, so play one SR (or BTB) 6 string and another will likely feel the same in terms of body and neck profile.

Tone is impossible to define in words, so I suggest looking at a model that interests you and look for YT clips, if not of the same model, but at least with the same pickups.

FTR, I have 4 SR and 1 BTB 6 string. I like them.

Good advice. I tried an Ibanez 6 string recently and was genuinely surprised by the quality. Tone is impossible to define, but every bass has a character and without EQ that character is apparent. With the Ibanez tone control off, to me it has a mellow, warm sound, but could be made 'mellower' by flatwounds.

20 hours ago, bassbora said:

What do you mean by solos?  Is that playing solos in a band setting (live) or is it solo as in you on your own?  Live or at home?

What is the budget?  Also why 5 or 6 string?  Is the 5 string with the high C or the low B?

I guess you are going to get people mentioning their favorite brands.  I think Ibanez would be a sound advise, good quality and not too pricy.

I would always recommend Warwick because that is my preferred choice but that is just a personal choice.  I studied music in the 90s which included the usual classical music and jazz and improvisation.  I got an 89 Thumb 5 NT and I found it extremely good for all of this.  Upper access was easy for the soloing in that area and for chords especially having 26 frets.  I liked the sound and how it responded to right hand technique and I found it flexible with sound.  These basses are quite marmite and split opinion but I personally love it and I still have it and gig it regularly.  I do have a 6 fretless Thumb and same its great for exactly this.  I have found Streamer Stage 2 5 also be good for this but as I have said this is all personal preference and has suited me and my playing style over the years but just searching on this forum shows you Warwick splits opinions and everyone has their favorite.

I'm playing a 4 and 5 string in a geriatric band, but soloing in my home studio on the 7 string fretless and will be collaborating with an ambience producer in the immediate future. Five or six string? The tonal range is so much greater with more strings, but I'm having some difficulty with my 7 string - fingers are no longer as flexibIe will look at Warwick - its not a maker I've ever considered. Thanks.

On 01/12/2022 at 04:36, crazycloud said:

I have no idea what that means. What sounds 'mellow' to you might not to anyone else. I'd be finding something I liked to play physically and swap in other pickups until I got the sound I wanted. Looking at what players who spend more time soloing play would help narrow it down for you, and would help others make suggestions. For example I have no problem 'soloing' on my Ibanez SRs and BTB when I'm in the mood to do so and they're used to play melodic lines with my friend when she pays her acoustic.

'Mellow' to me means warm. Bit too old to be swapping out pickups😳

On 12/11/2022 at 08:56, Hellzero said:

If your fingers are bananas, forget the Ibanez range.

Try the MTD Kingston series, affordable and excellent basses for soloing or even accompanying even if they have a 35 inches scale.

Check the ads here as you might find your Graal quite easily with other brands.

Thanks. MTD are a tad too much dosh for me, even though they make some lovely basses.

3 hours ago, Billy Bongo said:

I'm playing a 4 and 5 string in a geriatric band, but soloing in my home studio on the 7 string fretless and will be collaborating with an ambience producer in the immediate future. Five or six string? The tonal range is so much greater with more strings, but I'm having some difficulty with my 7 string - fingers are no longer as flexibIe will look at Warwick - its not a maker I've ever considered. Thanks.

I kind of thought that was what you were talking about.  When you reach a certain price point the instrument is going to be good (most of the time you do get the odd lemon) and then it is mostly personal preferences.  You do get people doing amazing things with a 4 string but I see what you mean so probably a 6 string would be better to have the greater tonal range (people will of course have very different opinions on this).

I was always interested in Zon as well but that was in the 90s and I have never be one to buy and sell instruments to try out different things.  I was lucky that what I got suited me so I just stuck with it.  Warwick might not be suitable for you just to keep that in mind since it divides opinions so much.

But a modern 5-6 string should do the trick (I say modern meaning not P or J basses and I mean that in the most respectful way) so I personally would seriously look at Ibanez and possibly Dingwall depending on budget. 

Good luck with it and let us know what you go for.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Billy Bongo said:

'Mellow' to me means warm.

I have no idea what 'mellow' means to you. I know what it means to me but it's a nebulous term with a vast spectrum of meaning.

Go look for YT clips that sound like what you hear in your head. There are plenty out there, many good.

23 hours ago, bassbora said:

I kind of thought that was what you were talking about.  When you reach a certain price point the instrument is going to be good (most of the time you do get the odd lemon) and then it is mostly personal preferences.  You do get people doing amazing things with a 4 string but I see what you mean so probably a 6 string would be better to have the greater tonal range (people will of course have very different opinions on this).

I was always interested in Zon as well but that was in the 90s and I have never be one to buy and sell instruments to try out different things.  I was lucky that what I got suited me so I just stuck with it.  Warwick might not be suitable for you just to keep that in mind since it divides opinions so much.

But a modern 5-6 string should do the trick (I say modern meaning not P or J basses and I mean that in the most respectful way) so I personally would seriously look at Ibanez and possibly Dingwall depending on budget. 

Good luck with it and let us know what you go for.

Thanks. Looking at Ibanez at the moment. I tried an Ibanez Gio 6 string and was surprised by the range of tones and the playability for no money. I ought to try an SR too. I will check out Dingwall. Thanks for the suggestion👍

10 hours ago, crazycloud said:

I have no idea what 'mellow' means to you. I know what it means to me but it's a nebulous term with a vast spectrum of meaning.

Go look for YT clips that sound like what you hear in your head. There are plenty out there, many good.

True. I'd be interested to know what mellow means to you.

Gamba is a 7-string instrument. There were also models with less and more strings. Check the works of Marin Marais and de Sainte-Colombe from the movie Tous les matins du monde.

Domenico Dragonetti was a double bass virtuoso who played 3-string bass among others, and has composed some very tricky stuff.

Electric 4-string virtuosos are quite numerous, Stanley Clarke being one of the earlier fretted masters. His instrument is a short scale tenor bass (A, D, G, C). Fretless composer and player is naturally Jaco Pastorius.

Jimmy Johnson is behind the idea of the five string electric bass. Gary Willis and Bunny Brunel are 5-string fretless masters.

John Patitucci is known for his work with 6-string bass.

Of course there are multistring basses, as well as The Stick.

From this I actually think that the best solo bass instrument is the one with which you produce/compose/play the best program you ever can. We can go into technical details starting from strings, string spacings, electronics, fret & fretboard materials, pickups and their positions... and when everything is ready, we could find your optimal instrument.

But we are on thin ice, if the instrument does not talk to you. Specs is one thing, but playability and personality can only be found by trying and playing many different basses.

• Thanks 2