Why become a member? ×

Dingwall for Non-metal??

Ccwg_Bass

I know several folks in the States who use Dingwall in contemporary Christian worship bands - not much mathcore metal going on in those sets!! ;) The reference to Lee Sklar above is a good one. Recently rocking his Dingwall in Loudon Wainwright’s Big Band and with piano led singer songwriter Judith Owens (Mrs Derek Smalls).

1 hour ago, Tim2291 said:

Slap isn't a style of music ;). You could use the Hofner for funk if you really wanted!

OK, if you must; my Hofner would, however, not be suitable for a Mark King Level 42 tribute band, in my opinion, whatever 'style' you might like to call it. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

OK, if you must; my Hofner would, however, not be suitable for a Mark King Level 42 tribute band, in my opinion, whatever 'style' you might like to call it. ;)

Tribute bands are different - they are as much about dressing a certain way and using similar/same instruments to the ones used by band being paid tribute to.  Tribute bands aren't a style of music - that is a band type.  I stand by my statement that no bass is tied to any one genre of music (questions like "is bass X good for genre Y?" - the answer is always yes).  Play nursery rhymes on your Fodera if it makes you happy!

Some basses are better at being basses than others, but that's another matter entirely. 

25 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Tribute bands are different - they are as much about dressing a certain way and using similar/same instruments to the ones used by band being paid tribute to.  Tribute bands aren't a style of music - that is a band type.  I stand by my statement that no bass is tied to any one genre of music (questions like "is bass X good for genre Y?" - the answer is always yes).  Play nursery rhymes on your Fodera if it makes you happy!

Some basses are better at being basses than others, but that's another matter entirely. 

Anyone else really want to write a Jazz Funk Nursery rhyme album using a Fodera now?

On a totally related note, if anybody wants to donate a Fodera FOC to me I am happy to accept!

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Which wasn't really my point; I only chose Mr King because he's, as far as I know (which is not much...) he does a lot of slapping. Tribute Shtribute; a Hofner Verithin strung with Trubass strings will not give a satisfactory 'slap' sound. Its physics won't produce the dynamics and sound signature of that style of playing. In similar fashion that a nylon-strung flamenco guitar is not much cop for Steve Vai screaming harmonics, a semi-acoustic bass has its limitations (and, of course, other qualities which make up for that, and which I personally prefer...). Yes, I'd agree that any bass, including my own, can be played in any style; any style at all. Will it sound any good..? No, it will not, however talented the player. Perhaps with a very clever modelling amp, or MIDI detection, it could be done (I've used my bass to play oboe through a MIDI cable...), but native, it's no good for slap, end of. :friends:

1 hour ago, Tim2291 said:

Anyone else really want to write a Jazz Funk Nursery rhyme album using a Fodera now?

On a totally related note, if anybody wants to donate a Fodera FOC to me I am happy to accept!

I’d love to, but alas I don’t have a Fodera. So both the album & the donation shall remain in your dreams for now. 

• 4 months later...
On 23/10/2022 at 14:44, steve1879 said:

I recently bought an ng3 to use in a hardcore band, but decided to take it to an 80s cover band gig on Friday night. Used the neck and bridge pick up, with a slight bass boost and it was fantastic

AD115B77-AAE4-426B-855F-FE1EA02CF41A.jpeg

How do you find the tone/tension on the 4 string? Quite tempted to get a 4 as I predominantly play 4s

On 22/10/2022 at 19:37, Dad3353 said:

Well, almost. My vintage Hofner Verithin is not ideally suited for slap (thank goodness...), especially with its black nylon-coated Trubass strings..! 'Thump', yes, 'Slap', not really. :lol:

Slap is not a genre it's just a technique.

Edited by nilorius