Why become a member? ×

Oh hold pending Dingwall D Bird for sale *Pics added* - *SOLD*
£1000
Scotland

krispn

Had a few folk as about trades…

I’m not against the idea so feel free to ask via DM - I’m still gigging after all in my main band 😀

Due to the untimely demise of my 80’s band this belter is up for grabs!  I can meet a few hours drive from Edinburgh or East Lothian if someone were keen to meet halfway and while shipping is an option I don’t have packaging just now and I’d urge the buyer to arrange a suitable courier/insurance. 

I bought this from GuitarGuitar last year and it came with a generic case and no strap locks. I immediately sourced some locks but have kept it in the generic case as I normally use my Gator case to transport this to gigs. Right upfront the bass has some damage to the finish which I will capture once back at home but it’s not enough to spoil the simply fantastic paint job and is located on the back of the lower bout - this was preset when I bought the bass and didn’t deter me one bit due to it’s ‘hidden placement’. Actual pics to follow but for now mine is the same colour as the one pictured below.

Being a D Bird the bass is from the original run and doesn’t feature the extended, re-designed lower cutaway as found on the D-Roc. For reference I’ve added the stock comparison picture- mine is the same as the top bass… As far as I’m aware the feature set remains identical - passive, 4 way pick up selector, passive tone, individual bridge saddles etc.

The pick ups sound great and it’s configured as below. It’s worth adding this is the best sounding bridge only pick up sound I’ve played. It sounds just like the neck unit only in the bridge position rather than a weaker wound pick up like you might typically see on a Jazz bass for instance - I should say the three pick ups are all identical. It’s hard to quantify tone in words but in the bridge position it really retains the quality of the tone of the neck unit - it’s less ‘beefy’ but not weedy or too thin. It just sounds really good and I use it when I want that P bass sound but with a bit more bite - Sounds great on “Kids In America” played with a pick for instance! Just that bit more raw sounding to my ear.

1-bridge only… like a p bass but with not as much low end, a tad more bite to it!.

2-Bridge/middle in parallel… basically a Musicman sound and a very good one at that!

3-middle only… very Precision like, fuller than the bridge and responds really well with the tone control dialed back for vintage tones.

4-bridge/middle in parallel plus the neck pick up in series… very full range and usable tone. Great for slap and quite a focused tone - great when in a full mix sits especially well with synths 

The bass sounds as good as it looks and is sonically versatile - great for a covers band/function band. In my 80’s band I could get MM tones, P bass tones (as mentioned above both that edgier sound as well as more classic P bass sounds and when I wanted a slap sound position 4 really worked for my ear scooped yet defined and sat really nicely. A feature maybe not often discussed is the versatility the three pick up config offers in way of right hand placement. Very easy to play near the bridge or neck and retain a natural hand position and the ‘ramp like’ quality the large surface area affords might really suit some players. There’s plenty of space between the neck pick up and the neck for slapping too.

Despite the body shape the bass hangs perfectly with no neck dive and is in the 3.7kg weight range- combined with a broad strap you’d barely know you’re wearing it! Genuinely sad to see it go but it’s a bit audacious for my root-5th plodding bass gig with my other band. I’ve previously owned a Dingwall PZ5 and the DBird’s build quality is on par with its Canadian cousin. This is a 35”scale but most of that is compensated for along the body with the bridge saddle placement rather than having a longer neck and it’s a very easy transition to fanned frets. Two minutes in and you’ll barely notice the difference. Oh and this takes regular strings so no hidden costs down the line having to source funny lengths from specific retailers.

Edited by krispn
Sold
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • krispn changed the title to Dingwall D Bird for sale *Pics added*
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been banging on this tonight for some up coming gigs and it’s winning over both my p & j as it’s just so versatile - running into a tube di direct to my Apollo and it’s a monster. 

I don’t think I’ve played such a versatile sounding bass. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, walshy said:

I looked at this last night, must resist 😂

Your man with a van could pick it up for you as he’s driving past on his next pick up 😉

For me the beauty of the three pick ups is that they’re the same pick up so you get that p bass tone but just in different positions with the solo bridge or solo p setting rather than a weaker bridge say on some pj basses. I said it in the first post but solo bridge does a great p tone only a bit more gnarly. The all pick ups on mode gives this focused nearly compressed sounding tone which sit really nicely and is really good for slap tones. It was the perfect bass in the 80’s band having those MM tones too. 

3 hours ago, krispn said:

Your man with a van could pick it up for you as he’s driving past on his next pick up 😉

For me the beauty of the three pick ups is that they’re the same pick up so you get that p bass tone but just in different positions with the solo bridge or solo p setting rather than a weaker bridge say on some pj basses. I said it in the first post but solo bridge does a great p tone only a bit more gnarly. The all pick ups on mode gives this focused nearly compressed sounding tone which sit really nicely and is really good for slap tones. It was the perfect bass in the 80’s band having those MM tones too. 

I’d thought of that and my daughter is also in Dalkeith until the middle of next week too!

Don’t get me wrong, I totally don’t need or have a project for it but it’s never stopped me before 😂

I gigged this over the weekend - many of my gigs are iem but I had my amp with me for this one. What a tight and present sound on the night. As we were doing our own sound I got to push my amp more (the sound guy at the other venue likes me to keep the amp low if I’m using the supplied one) and man it was great sound it was! The all pick ups on is killer but the ‘p tones’ were just spot on. A combination of the scale length and the pick up (and some sweet pedal board tone shaping between the comp and drive pedal) but just wow!

I’ve been rotating basses these last few gigs and I’ve been lucky to have had three gigs in the same venue so it’s been good to revisit what each delivers. For me the p bass and the jazz are staples but the ding has another quality that the other two can’t quite reach. I’m still a p bass guy at heart but this ding sings! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • krispn changed the title to **Sold** Dingwall D Bird for sale