Why become a member? ×

Power Conditioner

NHM

I'm thinking of getting a power conditioner for (hopefully☺️) some additional piece of mind and perhaps an even a better sounding amp/pedal board.

I don't use a rack, so I'd rather not get a rack mount one which most of the ones aimed at band gear seem to be. I'd rather have a unit more like the ones aimed at the hifi market so I can cable out from it using IEC extensions to the amp & pedal board.

Some reviews I've read say the bass response might be compromised, so that's a worry🤔.

Has anyone any recommendations?

6 hours ago, NHM said:

Some reviews I've read say the bass response might be compromised, so that's a worry🤔.

Can you please lead us to that piece of knowledge that we all really want to dive into?

The energy going into the system through the few filter stages... how could that limit your amp's frequency response? Maybe if the filtering system would limit the power going into the amp, some strange behaviour would be in order. But a current limiting filter system?

29 minutes ago, itu said:

Can you please lead us to that piece of knowledge that we all really want to dive into?

I thought it was a bit odd too....

But here's the link: 

https://smarthomeprotector.com/best-audiophile-power-strip/

And if you scroll to the last entry for the WAudio AC Noise Power Filter it says 'Can sometimes limit the bass of the sound system.'

Oh my... this guy does not understand much about electricity, but is eager to tell others about it. Total bull. Lots of copy-paste, close to zero information, and very little understanding how things actually work. The microwave article was hilarious. Beware.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2022 at 15:06, NHM said:

OK, then why are people spending £100+ up to big bucks on Furmans for their rack?

Can someone who uses one make the case for power conditioners?

In many cases they are simply responding to the marketing blurb. It's true that UK mains is often better than other places esp USA simply due to differences in distance from distribution sub-station. But not really in urban areas. Mains filtering is a thing although more often to stop putting rubbish back onto the mains. And PFC is required for IIRC power above 75W. Incoming problems should really be taken care of in existing kit. Basic question is what problems are experienced / conceived ? You can't remove a problem that doesn't exist.

fwiw I have a foot (feet ?) in the MI / pro-audio / compliance fields.

On 11/10/2022 at 21:07, velvetkevorkian said:

As a rule of thumb, I recommend discarding any advice targeted at "audiophiles" as it's invariably snake oil garbage.

Indeed. There's a good reason why "Audiophile" often gets translated to "Audiophool" in Pro-Audio circles...

On 11/10/2022 at 13:04, BigRedX said:

Unless you are regularly playing outdoors where the power is being supplied by a generator, in which case you would probably be better off with a UPS, there is no benefit to having a power conditioner in the UK.

Not always the case. Whilst the mains power supplied to a property in the UK is pretty good/clean, it depends what else is connected within the building where you are running your gear. A lot of buildings contain all manner of stuff - commercial lighting, refrigeration, etc - which can cause problems and mains-borne noise. 

On 15/10/2022 at 10:41, Dan Dare said:

Not always the case. Whilst the mains power supplied to a property in the UK is pretty good/clean, it depends what else is connected within the building where you are running your gear. A lot of buildings contain all manner of stuff - commercial lighting, refrigeration, etc - which can cause problems and mains-borne noise. 

The only place I've played that had noticeable mains problems, nothing short of a full UPS would have protected the susceptible gear from it.

What the OP needs to ask themselves is have they suffered from noticeable mains problems at a gig?

• Like 2

On 15/10/2022 at 11:41, Dan Dare said:

True. A good electrical installation and correct use of it will avoid having stuff like thyristor light dimming and air con etc on the same ring or radial as audio kit. If it does happen then it's a bit optimistic to tell us on a power conditioner of type described to deal with it effectively. Solutions tend to involve special transformers and/or large ie high inductance filters. Best dealt with at source. 

And don't let your drummer plug his fan into the audio mains. Plus laptops etc best run from a non audio mains supply and audio output taken via a DI box.

I wouldn't worry about frequency response problems though unless you experience it.