Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day! My First New Bass Since 2010!

BenTunnicliffe

Hey Everyone,

With gigs going well this Summer I decided to go and grab a new rig which was a huge deal given I've always been a one-bass kind of guy. It's been 12 years since my last purchase and I've never bought a brand new bass in my life!

Here's a snappy video of demo-ing the bass in the shop, setting it up at home and my new backline rig arriving. (Alternative FB Video Link)

Following the tricky job of trying to find a bricks & mortar store that had more than one Fender P in stock for me to play (everyone's backlogged), I went to Andertons in Guildford and after a bit of playing I knew I'd found the one for me which is an American Original 50s Precision with maple neck in two tone sunburst. They also had a second hand Aguilar DB115 cab that I specifically was hunting for so I had that delivered the following day! In the meantime, I had a larger EU company ship me the only Aguilar AG700 I could find in stock which was been kicking major derrière, especially at open air events.

I knew I was after a classic-looking precision and definitely found something timeless. I had no doubts I'd love the Aguilar stuff seeing as I've previously owned (and loved) the DB751, AG500, the Tonehammer DI and done some recording with the DB659 in the past; didn't even demo the cab in the store!

I can't speak highly enough of the folks at Andertons. They heard me out about the stock issue, absolutely zero snake oil tactics and they were really helpful with the logistics of my order which through its course involved deposits on three separate items, one being cancelled and then needing to merge two orders so I didn't exactly make it easy for them. Dead friendly in the shop as well!

IMG_5330.jpg

IMG_5332.jpg

Edited by BenTunnicliffe
  • Like 19

12 years since last bass purchase? First new bass ever?

Hand in your badge and gun - how have you managed to hide in plain sight all this time when you're so clearly BCing wrong?

Kidding aside, congrats and enjoy that new bass/case smell...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

12 years since last bass purchase? First new bass ever?

Hand in your badge and gun - how have you managed to hide in plain sight all this time when you're so clearly BCing wrong?

Kidding aside, congrats and enjoy that new bass/case smell...

Would I be more welcome if I start to share strong opinions on scale length and trade the baseball cap for a flatcap? I don't have enough disposable income to fulfil the GAS criteria I'm afraid!

Once upon a time I even visited Bass Direct and left empty handed... Do with that information what you will. Abstaining from adding vinyl records to the studio is an entirely different beast for me though!

The 12years/'new' bass thing is only because I bought a gorgeous Overwater in 2010 and was genuinely happy enough with it that there was no call for an arsenal of alternative setups for the live work I was doing all that time. I was the OW's third owner so there wasn't any peel-y plastic to be taken off by the time I had it!

The new case smell definitely still lingers even though there are already strands of hay in there after a barn gig plus some serious sweat I can only imagine the poor bass is shocked to be receiving after being all minty in a warehouse for so long.

57 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Love the video, you have set a new standard in NBD presentation.

Thanks very much!

It felt painfully awkward to try and capture odd bits across the day but with the industry being what it is these days and there being every chance I won't buy another bass until 2034 I thought it might be worth giving it a go!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

I’m wondering more about seeing the 12 year old overwater and all the stories that must have! (The p looks great too btw)

That bass was very good to me but unfortunately had to be sold when I sold every bit of my gear a few years out due to personal reasons. I think it was recently traded here on Basschat but I didn't have the money to have it back in my hands. A beautiful instrument that I'd want to own again but mainly as a thanks to it for being with me through such a long and formative stretch of my 'career'.

Cruise ships, musicals, studio sessions, it did it all!

• Like 1