Why become a member? ×

How common are lined fretless Precision basses?

EssentialTension

Title says it all.

Anyway, I'm playing a lined fretless Jazz bass and no problem there except I'm more of a P bass kind of guy and so is the band I'm using it with. Almost all the fretless P basses seem to be unlined, whereas it appears that J basses are much more often lined. So what are the options for getting a lined fretless P?

And if you feel the need you can tell me just to get an unlined P but that's not what I'm asking. Nonetheless [u]all[/u] advice happily received, with thanks.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='467188' date='Apr 20 2009, 08:30 AM']I'm fairly sure there's no such beast in the MIA or MIM line-up at the moment.[/quote]

Fender certainly used to make lined fretless Ps as I bought one (3Ts, rosewood neck) about ten years ago at the old Bass Centre in Wapping (sold it a c oupel of years later as I am cr@p without frets to cover up my rubbish intonation :) )

I'm sure there's a few fretless Precision necks have come out of Japan but probably not many. I may have a new lined fretless Fender MIJ Jazz neck for sale once I've decided which of my necks to keep, so let me know if you'd be interested and I'll hang onto it for you.
Chris

I should add that moving from lined to unlined necks - and surprisingly vice-versa - is not as easy as you'd think. In fact, I've been unable to make the move to lined from unlined as the result of being habituated to working from dot markers [u]at[/u] the fret position (as they are on an unlined neck) as opposed to [u]between[/u] the fretlines (as they are on a lined neck). So, whilst I thought buying a lined fretless neck would improve my intonation, it's actually made it worse due to "should I be fingering at the dot or at the line line" confusion! I'm either going to sell my MIJ lined neck (I have two '70's unlined necks as well), or get some dots put at the fretlines so that it's consistent with the unlined necks.

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='467355' date='Apr 20 2009, 12:04 PM']I should add that moving from lined to unlined necks - and surprisingly vice-versa - is not as easy as you'd think. In fact, I've been unable to make the move to lined from unlined as having become so used to working from dot markers [u]at[/u] the fret position (as they are on an unlined neck) as opposed to [u]between[/u] the fretlines (as they are on a lined neck). So, whilst I thought buying a lined fretless neck would improve my intonation, it's actually made it worse as a result of the "should I be fingering at the dot or at the line line" confusion when I'm playing! I'm either going to sell my MIJ lined neck (I have two '70's unlined necks as well), or get some dots put at the fretlines so that it's consistent with the unlined necks.[/quote]

Are the 70s unlined necks for sale?

[quote name='Beedster' post='467355' date='Apr 20 2009, 12:04 PM']I should add that moving from lined to unlined necks - and surprisingly vice-versa - is not as easy as you'd think. In fact, I've been unable to make the move to lined from unlined as the result of being habituated to working from dot markers [u]at[/u] the fret position (as they are on an unlined neck) as opposed to [u]between[/u] the fretlines (as they are on a lined neck). So, whilst I thought buying a lined fretless neck would improve my intonation, it's actually made it worse due to "should I be fingering at the dot or at the line line" confusion![/quote]

You are SO right, Chris. I'm definitely an unlined, side dots "on the fret" type of geezer. I found it so weird with the lines and in-between dots.

[quote name='Beedster' post='467556' date='Apr 20 2009, 03:38 PM']No, sorry. The lined fretless is likely to be however (pretty much unused '62 reissue with reverse tuners).[/quote]

I assume it would be possible to get the lines replaced by a luthier to match the colour of the fingerboard, likewise with the side dots?

[quote name='Beedster' post='467355' date='Apr 20 2009, 12:04 PM']I should add that moving from lined to unlined necks - and surprisingly vice-versa - is not as easy as you'd think. In fact, I've been unable to make the move to lined from unlined as the result of being habituated to working from dot markers [u]at[/u] the fret position (as they are on an unlined neck) as opposed to [u]between[/u] the fretlines (as they are on a lined neck). So, whilst I thought buying a lined fretless neck would improve my intonation, it's actually made it worse due to "should I be fingering at the dot or at the line line" confusion! I'm either going to sell my MIJ lined neck (I have two '70's unlined necks as well), or get some dots put at the fretlines so that it's consistent with the unlined necks.[/quote]

Well, I see the problem but my lined fretless Jazz (MIA) has no dots at all on the fingerboard, only the lines. It does have side dots but they are on the lines not between the lines.

So the unlined fretless Precisions have side dots 'on the lines' - if you see what I mean - is that correct?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='467188' date='Apr 20 2009, 08:30 AM']I'm fairly sure there's no such beast in the MIA or MIM line-up at the moment.

As for MIJ... maybe. Have a word with Mr. Guitar Emporium, perhaps?

Or.. get something defretted. Or... get a replacement neck...[/quote]

That's what I thought would be the case. Thank you.

[quote name='Clarky' post='467191' date='Apr 20 2009, 08:34 AM']Fender certainly used to make lined fretless Ps as I bought one (3Ts, rosewood neck) about ten years ago at the old Bass Centre in Wapping (sold it a c oupel of years later as I am cr@p without frets to cover up my rubbish intonation :) )[/quote]

I have seen a couple of them on ebay etc but they usually look as if they may have been altered, defretted maybe.

[quote name='Beedster' post='467194' date='Apr 20 2009, 08:38 AM']I'm sure there's a few fretless Precision necks have come out of Japan but probably not many. I may have a new lined fretless Fender MIJ Jazz neck for sale once I've decided which of my necks to keep, so let me know if you'd be interested and I'll hang onto it for you.
Chris[/quote]

Chris, thanks for this.

A jazz neck on a P bass is what would suit me best. Are the P and J necks a straight swap?

Does that MIJ Jazz neck have fingerboard dots? Am I understanding your other post correctly?

[quote name='silddx' post='467563' date='Apr 20 2009, 03:49 PM']You are SO right, Chris. I'm definitely an unlined, side dots "on the fret" type of geezer. I found it so weird with the lines and in-between dots.[/quote]

I agree in-between dots would be weird. The MIA lined fretless Jazzes don't have them. The in-between dots would be a problem on a defret job.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Clarky' post='467191' date='Apr 20 2009, 08:34 AM']Fender certainly used to make lined fretless Ps as I bought one (3Ts, rosewood neck) about ten years ago at the old Bass Centre in Wapping (sold it a c oupel of years later as I am cr@p without frets to cover up my rubbish intonation :) )[/quote]

yeah- when Fender revamped the US precisions and jazzes in 1994, they introduced a lined fretless US precision- rosewood board only, no front dots, no skunk stripe, trussrod adjust at the body, graphite neck reinforcement, through-body stringing.
it came strung with heavy flatwounds.
I've got an old issue of Bass player where they reviewed the whole range of new US standards and deluxes- and it's pictured.
IIRC they discontinued it around 1998.

Edited by SJA

[quote name='Foxx' post='467570' date='Apr 20 2009, 03:58 PM']I assume it would be possible to get the lines replaced by a luthier to match the colour of the fingerboard, likewise with the side dots?[/quote]

Yes, possible but I imagine quite expensive at the end of the day. Personally if I were looking to spend money on a lined neck and then some on work to unline it, I'd order an unlined fretless neck from Warmoth, or if that's a little expensive, any of the Fender liscenced necks are reasonable quality and can be picked up for around £150, sometimes less.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='467686' date='Apr 20 2009, 05:55 PM']Chris, thanks for this.

A jazz neck on a P bass is what would suit me best. Are the P and J necks a straight swap?

Does that MIJ Jazz neck have fingerboard dots? Am I understanding your other post correctly?[/quote]

Yes, straight swap (as much as any Fender 4 bolt necks are, that is, I can't guarantee the tightness of the neck in the pocket)). The board DOES have fingerboard dots - it's from a Jaco '62 reissue so made to look like a defretted bass.

[quote name='Beedster' post='468089' date='Apr 21 2009, 08:49 AM']Yes, straight swap (as much as any Fender 4 bolt necks are, that is, I can't guarantee the tightness of the neck in the pocket)). The board DOES have fingerboard dots - it's from a Jaco '62 reissue so made to look like a defretted bass.[/quote]
Ok thanks for the info. I think I'd want to avoid the fingerboard dots in between the lines, does sound weird.

I'm starting to wonder about maybe an unlined fretless P.....hmmmm

[quote name='SJA' post='467759' date='Apr 20 2009, 07:17 PM']yeah- when Fender revamped the US precisions and jazzes in 1994, they introduced a lined fretless US precision- rosewood board only, no front dots, no skunk stripe, trussrod adjust at the body, graphite neck reinforcement, through-body stringing.
it came strung with heavy flatwounds.
I've got an old issue of Bass player where they reviewed the whole range of new US standards and deluxes- and it's pictured.
IIRC they discontinued it around 1998.[/quote]
Great, thanks for that info.

You could try these people

[url="http://www.bhefnerco.com/bass.htm"]http://www.bhefnerco.com/bass.htm[/url]

I have a lovely ash Jazz bass body of theirs - goes very well with a Status unlined P-bass neck.........

I would recommend trying the unlined P-bass neck too - just keep with it - play along to lots of familiar tracks at first, then try it in rehearsal - believe me - in no time at all things will start to gel.