Why become a member? ×

Can you get a bad new string?

Puganded

Being a very inexperienced new player, I've not bought that many string sets ( 3) to build a reference point.

Just acquired an, as new- Ibanez gsr200 bargain ,wanted a cheapo extra bass to keep in my van to practice.
Then I put on a set of Fender flat wounds @ 46 quid.

The A ,D and G all sound really good, and massive improvement to the originals,
BUT the E string! Hard to explain the sound, its as if affects echo has been applied, and fretting the low F is not a nice tone`.

My question is : Do you sometimes get one bad string in a pack?

as a note ; I also removed the 9 volt cheep preamp, thinking it could be the problem,
I did not like the sound anyway ,made no difference to the problem, but now as a passive set up, it sounds a bit cleaner.

Thanks

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Puganded said:

Being a very inexperienced new player, I've not bought that many string sets ( 3) to build a reference point.

Just acquired an, as new- Ibanez gsr200 bargain ,wanted a cheapo extra bass to keep in my van to practice.
Then I put on a set of Fender flat wounds @ 46 quid.

The A ,D and G all sound really good, and massive improvement to the originals,
BUT the E string! Hard to explain the sound, its as if affects echo has been applied, and fretting the low F is not a nice tone`.

My question is : Do you sometimes get one bad string in a pack?

as a note ; I also removed the 9 volt cheep preamp, thinking it could be the problem,
I did not like the sound anyway ,made no difference to the problem, but now as a passive set up, it sounds a bit cleaner.

Thanks

Check your witness points on the strings, especially as they are flatwounds 

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/witness-points-the-pictorial.1217291/

Yes, it happens…but not very often.  The last one I remember was a black plastic tape wound, one out of the set sounded odd and would not intonate properly.  The company replaced it with no hassle, but they usually want the duff one back to see what went wrong.