Why become a member? ×

What pedals (synth and chorus, poss maybe wah too)

Cornfedapache

If you want a full on synth, I would suggest the Korg G5, though expect to pay around £150, though it really is the dogs bits, I think very comparable to the Deep Impact. Even so, depending on what kind of synthy sound you're after, perhaps a Digitech Bass Synth Wah would do it for you, much more affordable at around £40 s/h but it is very versatile, with a GREAT octaver on it and some decent filters.

Maybe you'd be better buying invidual stomps and creating your own synth sound? Especially cause then you'll have the killer pedals on their own to use as well. Combine a Fuzz (preferably gated for a synthy sound), an Octaver (the Boss OC-2 is cheap and well favoured for synthy uses) and an envelope filter (DOD FX25/b, well cheap and very good sounding, or perhaps a Q-Tron?), and you can get some really dirty synthy sounds. Add a compressor too and you can get a really tight synthy sound. personally, although I love my Korg G5, I think producing a synthy kind of sound in this manner is much more appealing and versatile, you can easily change any of the parameters of the individual effects on the fly, and then you also have an Octaver, a Fuzz and an Envelope Filter to use on their own too :).

As far as a chorus goes, I would personally consider one of the Boss units, I have a Boss CEB-3 and I really like it, although it is not as rich or as deep as the Chorus Ensemble for example, which is more warm. CEB-3's go really cheap on these forums and on eBay too though, even around £30 which isn't bad!

To throw a spanner in the works though, have you considered multi-effects pedals? I used to use a Korg AX3000B which has superb Choruses and Synths ampoungst many, many, MANY other effects, I was really happy with it for nearly two years of constant live usage, practicing and recording, GREAT PIECE OF KIT. Can be found for around £100 in new condition, and even less second hand.

This is the bit where everyone else tells you to buy the Zoom b2 1.u...

Hope that's some help,
Rich

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='467030' date='Apr 19 2009, 09:41 PM']Combine a Fuzz (preferably gated for a synthy sound), an Octaver (the Boss OC-2 is cheap and well favoured for synthy uses) and an envelope filter (DOD FX25/b, well cheap and very good sounding, or perhaps a Q-Tron?), and you can get some really dirty synthy sounds.[/quote]

Bear in mind that if you feed a fuzz into an envelope filter, the signal's going to have very little envelope left to open the filter with.

If you're going that route, get a filter with its own effects loop or trigger in (Q-Tron+, Meatball (or clone), Agent 00Funk, etc.). But it will get expensive.

"Synth" in pedal terms can mean pretty much anything, and synth pedals aren't really comparable because they each use a handful of features that the competition doesn't necessarily use. The only common component to all of them is a filter. It would be worth your while to go out and try a few.

For a few interesting wahs, a great chorus, an expression pedal, patch saving and foot-switched patch-switching PLUS pitch-shifting, get the Digitech XP-100!!

Or you could get a Zoom B2.1U.

Or you could tell us you've got a £300 budget and we'll recommend a filter a wah and a chorus for £100 each.

I've been impressed with the EHX chorus units i've used (Electric Mistress and Small Clone). SCs can be picked up for £30 or so and they're built like tanks. Bear in mind you'll need an adapter to use them a standard power supply though (unless it's a Nano version of the pedal).

The Boss SYB series can be picked up for around £50 second hand and are good Synth pedals for the cash. I sold mine purely cos it wasn't getting used but have a hankering for another...

Also check out the Electroharmonix Bass Micro Synth. It's a very analogue-y sounding pedal, with lots of sliders for tweaking. Basically has an octaver (plus a fuzzy distortion) and a filter section. Also has a slow attach slider for 'bowed' effects.

Unlike the octave - fuzz - envelope filter pedal combination, the filter is not dependant on your dynamic level which kinda helps the synth-like effect.

The new XO version is smaller and has true bypass. Might be all you need in one pedal, although I use mine with and without other pedals for different textures.