Why become a member? ×

Deps - What format do you prefer material to be given in?

Auctioneer

I would always prefer dots over anything else, being someone that learnt via dots. 

However, one thing to bear in mind is that not all transcribers are equal! I play both bass and drums, and whilst on the whole bass parts are generally okay (aside from the arranger who would routinely put stuff below low E  - I ended up just buying a 5-string!) drum parts are a whole other issue, with stuff all over the place because the arranger hadn't done it before, or had just run something off a midi file. 

I suppose the point is if you know what you're doing then dots are great - if you don't, they can be more hindrance than help.

6 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

To be fair, you did ask what we would like. Seems most of us would indeed like the dots.

When any reader can do it you'll find your dep pool gets deeper.

Definitely notation seems to be the most popular approach. I was more thinking out loud about the merits of it as it pertains to flexibility (and, to be honest, maybe I was trying to talk myself out of putting in that level of effort!), but you make a good point that I would have a wider net to cast if I went about it that way. I'm thinking that non-readers should maybe just not be on my dep list? Or at least not cater to them for material in this instance.

Edited by Auctioneer

It depends on the gig, but why not cover all bases? Write out chord charts with structure, add notation/tab(dirty word i'm sure) for any parts that need to be definitive. If you're playing covers, have the set on a spotify playlist you can share with the dep. Better to over prepare for the dep so that they have everything they may need!

Plus on a side note, it will help you to learn the parts more in depth if you chart and write them out!

That being said, last time I had a dep I did nothing for them at all! :D

Edited by Tim2291

Depping is not one thing.

There are 3 kinds of deps. Those who can read the dots, those who can read chord charts and those who just wing it. They are good for different situations. Give me the set list, YouTube links, MP3's etc and a week and I'll get the job done as well as the guy I'm depping for. That's fine if the situation is planned and managed. Last minute deps or the likes of Steely Dan gigs will probably go better with the dots.

I'm a depper and I've never once been given charts of any sort. Apart from when they do ceilidh. Ceilidh notes are generally just root notes with melody notation, which is easy to follow and busk along.

Is your set just full of standard party tunes? If so, a set list plus keys is enough in my experience 

It's also easy to record your full set even if its just a stereo mix direct out to your mixer. Have it on Google drive and refer the dep to the recording for any weird bits / medleys / unusual tunes you do and that should be it.

As others say though, have your set plus some spare, don't give the drp a lost of 90 tunes.

I’ve done loads of deps and not once have I been offered or given any charts/notation.

All I need to know is which version they’re playing and in which key and, if it fades, how they end it.

I’ll make my own notes from there, usually handwritten and scan and import to On Song.

It’s rare that I can’t get a whole song on one A4 sheet.