Why become a member? ×

5 string strings on a 4 string

Buckminster Emptier

It's going to be great. 

Slap them on but, as we saw above that the tension on the neck is slightly lower with heavier strings, the neck my straighten out a bit over time (see below). If the strings start giving fret buzz take the bass to a local luthier or knowledgeable BC member to tweak the truss rod a little.

image.png.0d62e905934e9d8f8aa554c28ce9ee5d.png

Edited by Bolo

4 hours ago, Bi Amp Bass Player said:

I think for the reason you said , I am not that guy. and just cuz that isn’t me, I don’t tinker with things, I just play. 

I am basically asking this because I have a predicament. I had not played bass for nearly 10 years, didn’t even own one, then I decided I wanted to start playing again. So I bought a bass I really liked, one I had always wanted back in the day. But for some reason , I don’t know why, but I thought it would be cool to go back to playing a 4 string. I thought it would be, I don’t know, like starting all the way over, and something like that appealed to me. It was a really dumb idea, I had played a 5 string for all but the first few years, and I just cannot be without a B string now.

So I’m trying to cope with a bad decision and I thought this may be a solution, and maybe a kind of cool one at that. I thought of how losing the G string would cause me to lower certain riffs , which I though would be better than where I am now, where I’m force to play higher for certain riffs, you know, stuff that can’t be changed up without totally messing up how it’s best to play it. 

there you go , a novel about why I’m asking a weird question. The end.

Appreciate that. we weren't taking the p*ss out of you. As others suggest, try your idea and see how it works out. You may have to adjust action, truss rod, etc to accommodate the change.

5 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Was he the dude with the incredibly complicated prototype bridge that claimed to solve all those problems no one ever has?

Don't think so. His, erm, modifications are not engineering-based, as a bridge would be. His schtick is more along the lines of putting 5 strings on 4 string instruments (pole piece alignment? Pah), splaying out tuners to accommodate "big hands", hacking random pieces of wood from instruments to "improve balance" and so on. He shares a name (first and surname) with the ex-husband of the Princess Royal.

4 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Don't think so. His, erm, modifications are not engineering-based, as a bridge would be. 

This over complicated bridge was also not designed by an engineer, not a competent one anyway. 

What's the username of this bass butchering fool? I need to look up his creations

4 hours ago, Bolo said:

It's going to be great. 

Slap them on but, as we saw above that the tension on the neck is slightly lower with heavier strings, the neck my straighten out a bit over time (see below). If the strings start giving fret buzz take the bass to a local luthier or knowledgeable BC member to tweak the truss rod a little.

image.png.0d62e905934e9d8f8aa554c28ce9ee5d.png

Cool thanks Alot that's what I need to know

11 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Was he the dude with the incredibly complicated prototype bridge that claimed to solve all those problems no one ever has?

The comparison between the two of them may be seen by analogy in Thunderbirds, series 2 episode 2, in which a nuclear powered logging machine with doors that can only be opened from the inside and an incredibly long and complex shutdown sequence runs out of control. MDP is the one who would come up with the idea for it and can'trememberhisname is the one who would build it.

MDP's handiwork (search ebay for "perfect balance bass"):

s-l1600.jpg

• Haha 1

Ah yes, that  MDP. I have to admit that I have an admiration for his apparently genuine enthusiasm and chutzpah:  "A new neck and almost new body, but my tools slipped a couple of times so there are some scratches.”

I'm feeling generous, so "eccentric" is my choice of adjective for this evening.  😉