Why become a member? ×

Get the balance right

TimR

If it's a covers band, then I'd say the occasional "thank you very much" between songs along with the odd "are you having a good time" would be fine, apart from when one song runs into the next obviously. If it's an originals band, then maybe a bit more chat between songs - introduce the band, give the song titles, that sort of thing. For a tribute band I'd expect it to be similar to what the actual band do.

I've played with folks who are real naturals at  setting up a song or just engaging with the audience.  Most of the really good ones just react to what they perceive is going on....I cannot imagine practicing what to say between songs...just don't ramble or be trite....                            

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crusoe said:

If it's a covers band, then I'd say the occasional "thank you very much" between songs along with the odd "are you having a good time" would be fine, apart from when one song runs into the next obviously. If it's an originals band, then maybe a bit more chat between songs - introduce the band, give the song titles, that sort of thing. For a tribute band I'd expect it to be similar to what the actual band do.

Has anyone ever heard a festival crowd say no, when asked if they are having a good time? And if "Are you having a good time" Is the best the singer can come up with, I wouldn't bother. 

It's all part of the pantomime that is live music performance. 

It's the gig equivalent of "Oh no it isn't.", the audience know what to say and when, and feel warm and fuzzy. 

If you're taking playing covers too seriously, you're missing the point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimR said:

It's all part of the pantomime that is live music performance. 

It's the gig equivalent of "Oh no it isn't.", the audience know what to say and when, and feel warm and fuzzy. 

If you're taking playing covers too seriously, you're missing the point. 

This….exactly!

23 hours ago, Oddly said:

I've been to a couple of memorable gigs (and not in a good way) where I left feeling I might've just as well stayed at home and put on the record...Dire Straits and Chris Rea being two that spring to mind.

It's nice to think that the band up on stage that you may have paid good money to see at least acknowledge your existence.

It's a good idea to have some little bit of banter prepared in case of tech issues, just as much as it's important to keep the flow going.

I've had this too.but IMHO a headline band is there to satisfy a fan base - they should be whipping up the mosh pit and creating an unforgettable atmosphere. I've been fortunate to be at some gigs where the headliners have managed that. some where they haven't and just a few where the audience does the job for them.  A covers band at a festival or in a pub is a bit different as there's no expectation of the songs that are likely to be played or the personalities on stage.