Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Guilty pleasures

msb

19 hours ago, Mudpup said:

Ah, the old 80's crackle finish trend .....you'll have to break out the spandex and grow a mullet if you snag one of those 

I've seen enough pics of you're Spandex clad heyday to put me off. Plus I'm not sure there's enough Spandex in the world to fit around my gut, despite its stretchy nature 😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, neepheid said:

That is sad, but in all seriousness I just do not get this "guilty pleasure" concept when applied to basses.  Why are you feeling guilty for enjoying a bass?  Did someone decree that playing bass was illegal and I missed the memo?  Did you buy it instead of paying your mortgage/rent and are now playing it in/on your car/cardboard box/park bench?  Did you steal it?  Are some people telling you that you shouldn't be playing that bass and if so why does that opinion matter so much?  Is it just a extension of the general purpose guilt I sometimes feel simply for breathing air?

I feel not one shred of guilt when I play any of my basses, I earned the money to buy them fair and square (or a certain lovely wife bought me one recently) and I couldn't give even a single hoot what anyone else thinks of them.  You like 'em because you like 'em, that ought to be good enough of a reason for any nosey parker.

It's more of a tongue in cheek saying than literal. 

I've got plenty of 'rubbish' basses. They're not, but the likes of Kay, Encore, Hohner, Cruiser, etc aren't exactly aspirational brands names. 

I like taking a cheap bass and turning it into something really playable and cool. 

My 'guiltiest pleasure' must be my plywood Kay. Universal hated as many's first bass, but I gave it a loving refinish and a really good set up and it's great, naff, but great. 

I spent a couple of hours playing my Encore precision last night. With a well sorted neck/set up and a Tonerider pickup and Chromes I did sit there last night wondering why I've bothered buying some pricey basses lately as this Encore is genuinely one of the nicest basses I own. 

It's a guilty pleasure as no one aspires to own an Encore precision one day. 

I'm not guilty at all by the way, if anything I'm more proud of my well maintained, nicely set up cheap tat than the expensive ones. 

Now I'm over thinking it. 😁

I always think of a “guilty pleasure” as something that you like that others feel you should feel embarrassed about.

Not a bass, but I own a Warwick Coffin Case that I feel slightly embarrassed about owning, despite actually really liking it. Like it’s the sort of thing I should have grown out of by now… I always feel the need to explain that I didn’t actually buy it, exactly, it’s what my Warlock (the most perfect bass for such a case) was shipped to me in.

29 minutes ago, KingBollock said:

I always think of a “guilty pleasure” as something that you like that others feel you should feel embarrassed about.

That's exactly what I think.  Yay, I'm not being crazy.  Or maybe there are two crazy people in the world regarding this topic 🤪