Why become a member? ×

Gallien-Krueger 400RB Head - THE Original & classic! *WILL NOW SHIP* - *SOLD*
£350
NE Hants/Berks/Surrey border

cetera

With regret, I'm selling my original late 80's?/early 90's? Gallien-Krueger 400RB in order to raise some much needed funds for another special bass related purchase.

This is a rare UK 220/240V version and is in generally excellent condition for 30 year old head, complete with the original carry handle on the side.

The amp has been recently serviced and is all original (apart from replacement conrol knobs).

Plug your bass in and it sounds HUGE! Bold, punchy and capable of a huge range of tones from the 4 band EQ and lo-cut, mid-contour and hi-boost buttons. Turn up the boost control and it even verges into valve-like harmonic overtone heaven!

Coupled with an efficient 4ohm cab this little monster isn't far behind its larger, legendary 800RB sibling...having the the same killer tones on tap and no lack of power! Don't let the lower power wattage fool you... I've never found this amp wanting, even with a 7 piece band....! 😉😎

@Snook tried it out recently when he purchased the bigger 800RB from me and can atest to the power, sound & condition!

i'm asking £SOLD, no offers, as this is a recently serviced, mega rare classic and worth every penny.

Payment by Cash on collecfion, Bank Transfer or Paypal (YOU pay all fees).

Please see my extensive feedback thread for assurance of a clean, honest transaction.

20220815_190734.jpg

20220815_190740.jpg

20220815_190833.jpg

20220815_190848.jpg

Edited by cetera
  • Like 6

A phenomenal amp for sure. Identical sound to the 800RB from what I heard. Just missing the Biamp feature of the 800RB which anyone hardly uses! And a few watts less, although clearly nothing that causes any concern!

I've seen it this exact one, worth every penny is very true!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snook said:

A phenomenal amp for sure. Identical sound to the 800RB from what I heard. Just missing the Biamp feature of the 800RB which anyone hardly uses! And a few watts less, although clearly nothing that causes any concern!

I've seen it this exact one, worth every penny is very true!

Thanks mate! Appreciate the confirmation review!

• cetera changed the title to Gallien-Krueger 400RB Head - THE Original and classic!
22 hours ago, Woody1957 said:

Pardon my ignorance...but what is the patch lead in the send/return for?

It's a standard thing to do with older GK's and many other older amps. Helps prevent oxidisation issues which can create intermittent sound issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 24/08/2022 at 21:16, cetera said:

It's a standard thing to do with older GK's and many other older amps. Helps prevent oxidisation issues which can create intermittent sound issues.

That's interesting, I'll do that with mine. Can it be left there permanently, while playing it?

On 24/08/2022 at 21:16, cetera said:

Its probably what l should have done with my old American made SVT3 Pro. As it got older l used to have a few issues with it. Eventually sold it on (fully working of course) after getting fed up of taking it to a well known amp tech in Stockport. Can't remember his name now though lol.

On 27/08/2022 at 08:13, Waterboarder said:

That's interesting, I'll do that with mine. Can it be left there permanently, while playing it?

Yes. In fact, with older amps it's recommended.

• Thanks 1

Hugely surprised that this is still here.

Opening this up for UK postage. For a serious buyer I will pack this up securely and get it weighed/priced....

Edited by cetera
  • Like 1

• cetera changed the title to Gallien-Krueger 400RB Head - THE Original & classic! *WILL NOW SHIP*

Really surprised this is still here and if I had the cash, I'd be all over this. I have the later 1000rb and it's a monster amp. I've heard great things about the 400 and 800RB heads, especially for recording.

Just touching on the effects loop thing ... if you do find you have sound issues (severe crackling, loss of sound or intermittent sound) a good fix I've found (did it on a 5150 guitar head) was to spray contact cleaner down the send and return jacks and put a jack lead in and out a few times to spread the cleaner (also worth doing the inputs too). Fixed mine up like new.

1 minute ago, WHUFC BASS said:

Really surprised this is still here and if I had the cash, I'd be all over this. I have the later 1000rb and it's a monster amp. I've heard great things about the 400 and 800RB heads, especially for recording.

Just touching on the effects loop thing ... if you do find you have sound issues (severe crackling, loss of sound or intermittent sound) a good fix I've found (did it on a 5150 guitar head) was to spray contact cleaner down the send and return jacks and put a jack lead in and out a few times to spread the cleaner (also worth doing the inputs too). Fixed mine up like new.

I know, odd eh? These things are as rare as rocking horse doodah in UK/Europe.... and this one is in excellent general condition AND recently serviced!

Yep, that works. I've had no issues with the send/return myself but have been reliably informed that bridging them will help avoid any issues arising. I'm happy to remove the patch lead if it bothers a potential buyer... lol! ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cetera said:

Yep, that works. I've had no issues with the send/return myself but have been reliably informed that bridging them will help avoid any issues arising. I'm happy to remove the patch lead if it bothers a potential buyer... lol! ;)

Apparently they corrode over time and cause sound issues. Bridging it with a patch cable prevents this so regardless, you've done the right thing by bridging it.

Damn you ... I'm so tempted by this!

• Thanks 1

• cetera changed the title to Gallien-Krueger 400RB Head *SOLD*