Why become a member? ×

Hello from Warrington

JGTay

Hello all,

I have been a guitar enthusiast for many years and had bought 7 guitars over the years, but didn't play them very often, just liked having them on display and very occasionally playing them.

The wife told me I wasn't allowed to buy anymore until I started playing regularly again and improved enough to justify the purchases, so I decided to start building them as a hobby using the hand tools I had available and wood from old oak wardrobes, etc. (she cursed me at first for finding a loophole! 🤣).

My builds have got better each time and I have had people asking me to build them custom guitars. I finally agreed to make one for a band a couple of years ago during the covid lockdowns as I had been made redundant from my IT manager position just before the outbreak and getting a job was extremely challenging.

That guitar was the last I built for a while as I needed regular money coming in and had started doing odd-jobs for family, friends, neighbours, etc. and didn't have the time for builds.

Then during a job in march doing an on-suite bathroom, someone asked if I was still making guitars and whether I could make them one. I knew I had some free time coming up, so agreed to do it.

Part way through the build funds for the next parts were put on hold while they sorted some things out, so the guitar was sat waiting for the next bit and at that point I decided to build myself a bass guitar while I had time in between other jobs. 

That was around 8 weeks ago, and since finishing the bass a few days ago I have been playing it constantly. It has been an eye opener for me, I am really enjoying playing bass and having never played one before, have realised I should have tried it much sooner. Which is why I decided to join a bass forum. 😁

• Like 4

Thanks for the welcome. ☺️

24 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Welcome!

show us the build then 🤪😜

Will do. I can put it in the build area. Do you just want to see the finished product or would you like to see the build progression beforehand? 

• Like 1