Why become a member? ×

Whats your recording method

Nicko

When I'm practicing I have a small digital dictaphone on hand and any riffs, chord sequences, rhythms etc that pop up are recorded. I trawl through these  every so often and anything that still inspires gets transferred onto my laptop, where my copy of Studio One 5 lives. I'll play around with the ideas I have, see where it goes and usually end up with something vaguely song-like which I will work on over a few days until I have something more solid. I will usually record a basic drum pattern and add guitar and bass as guides, with the intention of replacing them later. If it's still working, I will start to re-record parts and this often results in changes to arrangements and structure. Only at this stage am I starting to think about specific sounds, little fills and riffs and all the other details that make up the final song. Lyrics appear at almost any stage. I write lyrics independently of the music and I have several dozen pages of scribbles, phrases and lines that provide a starting point.

I try and leave gaps of several days between major stages of recording so that I can come back to the project with some freshness and objectivity. Like other have said, sometimes I find that what I thought was the next no.1 when I was working non-stop on it is actually fairly non-descript when I return after a short break. Once I have a 'finished' item complete with rough mixdown, I'll put it to one side for a week or so and then put it on my iPod and listen to it a few times when out walking, or in the car. 

Final mixdown is done after making notes based on the listening experience. As I am usually recording solo, these are largely for my own pleasure and not intended for general release. I think if I were considering a commercial release I'd get a more experienced pair of ears in to listen and help with the mixing and mastering.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My "process" (or lack thereof) consists of:

#1 - INSPIRATION

I'm also the singer in what I call MY band, so many times music isn't what comes first in my mind. I have this text document in my mobile phone where I have all sorts of lyrical pieces, from mere hooks to whole verses/choruses. I usually know how they'll end up being, at least rhythmically, but most times I have the whole melody too. Only some times things start from a riff or chord progression I usually find while playing/trying stuff on my own. I sometimes record stuff I'm not sure I'll remember later with a simple dictaphone app in my phone, but that's really occasional, mostly with bass/guitar riffs/parts, as vocal melodies get "engraved" in my memory as soon as I write (and like) a certain set of words.

#2 - DEMO

Once I have sufficient material for building up a song I sorta' sketch a basic drum structure, directly in my DAW (Reaper + Steven Slate Drums plugin). I program drums carefully enough so that you can play along with a decent feeling. Bass part is usually the last thing I figure out. I record guitar first, then bass. Usually thru' Zoom boxes for a mostly baked in tone (one that's record friendly, so I don't have to tweak too much afterwards) and into a Zoom R24 I use as my audio interface (great preamps). Last thing I do is record my vocals, usually a lead vocal and 2 harmonies panned open. I usually record it all in one 3-4hr "session" at home, whatever isn't complete or missing I invent on the fly (very occasionally out of thin air, mostly rounding of previous ideas).

#3 - MIX & SORTA' MASTER

For about a week after I do the recording I intensively listen to it in every medium available to correct both the overall mix/sound but also musical details (mostly vocals) until I have something I really like. As soon as I do have it I register it online in SGAE (composers' union here in Spain, I don't get any money at all from my small time band, just do it for intellectual property reasons) and after that I can show anybody. I make sure the volume and overall "fullness" is there, so it isn't sounding too anemic A/Bed with comercial music (the most depressing aspect of most demos people share).

This is my last demo (from some 4 month's ago). Guitar is a CHEAP Tele copy, bass is a 90€ parts Jazz I built a couple years ago, and both emanate from a Zoom G1Xon pedal (hacked with added bass FX). It goes thru' the aforementioned Zoom R24 as my interface and into a Windows10 + Reaper PC. Vocal mic is an old cheap AKG dynamic one (D65 model IIRC, probably have had it for 30 years) which I recently refurbished, capsule thoroughly covered with acoustic foam as its antipop filter, also thru' the R24. This song, along with 5 others, is yet to be recorded with my power trio soon. We have previously released a whole LP and an EP. This will be a new EP. Unlike in previous occasions, where my part would consist mostly of composing the vocals on top of music by our guitarist/s, this is all my compositions, all "pre-produced" with this "process". Despite who the author is, this is the level of detail we're used to. No time to lose in the studio, we need to get there with everything down, I like detailed demoing, even now that we're recording at our own studio. I also like to go in the studio with material not only learned but, moreso on vocals, it sounding like me, like it's mine. I hate singers (and all musicians, but singers are the most evident case) that don't put the previous work and end up looking like they're recording covers they don't quite know in the studio.

Edited by andruca
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, andruca said:

My "process" (or lack thereof) consists of:

#1 - INSPIRATION

I'm also the singer in what I call MY band, so many times music isn't what comes first in my mind. I have this text document in my mobile phone where I have all sorts of lyrical pieces, from mere hooks to whole verses/choruses. I usually know how they'll end up being, at least rhythmically, but most times I have the whole melody too. Only some times things start from a riff or chord progression I usually find while playing/trying stuff on my own. I sometimes record stuff I'm not sure I'll remember later with a simple dictaphone app in my phone, but that's really occasional, mostly with bass/guitar riffs/parts, as vocal melodies get "engraved" in my memory as soon as I write (and like) a certain set of words.

#2 - DEMO

Once I have sufficient material for building up a song I sorta' sketch a basic drum structure, directly in my DAW (Reaper + Steven Slate Drums plugin). I program drums carefully enough so that you can play along with a decent feeling. Bass part is usually the last thing I figure out. I record guitar first, then bass. Usually thru' Zoom boxes for a mostly baked in tone (one that's record friendly, so I don't have to tweak too much afterwards) and into a Zoom R24 I use as my audio interface (great preamps). Last thing I do is record my vocals, usually a lead vocal and 2 harmonies panned open. I usually record it all in one 3-4hr "session" at home, whatever isn't complete or missing I invent on the fly (very occasionally out of thin air, mostly rounding of previous ideas).

#3 - MIX & SORTA' MASTER

For about a week after I do the recording I intensively listen to it in every medium available to correct both the overall mix/sound but also musical details (mostly vocals) until I have something I really like. As soon as I do have it I register it online in SGAE (composers' union here in Spain, I don't get any money at all from my small time band, just do it for intellectual property reasons) and after that I can show anybody. I make sure the volume and overall "fullness" is there, so it isn't sounding too anemic A/Bed with comercial music (the most depressing aspect of most demos people share).

This is my last demo (from some 4 month's ago). Guitar is a CHEAP Tele copy, bass is a 90€ parts Jazz I built a couple years ago, and both emanate from a Zoom G1Xon pedal (hacked with added bass FX). It goes thru' the aforementioned Zoom R24 as my interface and into a Windows10 + Reaper PC. Vocal mic is an old cheap AKG dynamic one (D65 model IIRC, probably have had it for 30 years) which I recently refurbished, capsule thoroughly covered with acoustic foam as its antipop filter, also thru' the R24. This song, along with 5 others, is yet to be recorded with my power trio soon. We have previously released a whole LP and an EP. This will be a new EP. Unlike in previous occasions, where my part would consist mostly of composing the vocals on top of music by our guitarist/s, this is all my compositions, all "pre-produced" with this "process". Despite who the author is, this is the level of detail we're used to. No time to lose in the studio, we need to get there with everything down, I like detailed demoing, even now that we're recording at our own studio. I also like to go in the studio with material not only learned but, moreso on vocals, it sounding like me, like it's mine. I hate singers (and all musicians, but singers are the most evident case) that don't put the previous work and end up looking like they're recording covers they don't quite know in the studio.

I agree with @Dad3353,  Sounds pretty professional to me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Well, to judge by your last (more likely 'latest'..?) demo, the 'process' works well..! Good Stuff (shades of 'Hysteria', but that's no bad thing...); thanks for sharing. R91KekF.gif

Oh, man, I wish I could do something as complete (and compelling) as Muse does. In this particular case I hadn't thought of Muse, probably because my riff cycle is half as long as Hysteria's, so the analogy didn't click. But the "pedalling" open drop-D thing definitely carries the mood there, for sure. Consciously, I was definitely influenced by this song (I sub for their bass guy often), my style is just softer.

Edited by andruca

Here's what I do.  Nowadays I rarely have anything pre-prepared, so I'll just see what inspiration hits me.

Open PC.  Open Cakewalk, open new session, drop in two drum loops (beat/fill), set tempo, plug in guitar into audio interface, set levels and see what happens.  Mainly I'll just noodle for about 15 minutes and if nothing useful happens, I'll just close everything down and go and read a book. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My current method is, get drums programmed on the MPC -> Logic

I'll then string together guitar part. Then I play it to my daughter, who will take the guitar part & replay it/rearrange it herself and make it sound 100x better -> Logic

I'll add bass next DI'd into Logic

Keys/samples & anything else gets added after the meat of the song.

Minimal processing/fx in Logic, I'll spend the time recording (and re-recording) to get it sounding as good as possible avoiding the need to 'fix it in the mix'

I like to keep it as simple as possible

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm actually in the middle of my first new recording since this thread started so here is the process so far.

Program the drums in Logic using the Drum Kit Designer plug-in for the sounds. The drum patterns are based on what our ex-drummer played on the one rehearsal tape that exists for this song. This programming was done earlier this year and we've done 4 gigs playing this song with programmed drums and we're about 90% happy with the rhythms as they stand. For the recorded version I've removed some elements from the start of the song that we don't own the copyright for. We'll need to decide if these are going to be replaced with something else or simply left off.

This week I recorded the Bass VI at home using my Helix as an audio interface. Since this song is quite slow and there's an E drone all through the verse and the main instrumental riff, I've done something interesting with the panning of the bass where the drone is centred and the other notes pan left and right. This was done playing the drone notes in one pass and the other notes in a second and then cutting the the second pass into individual notes so they could be placed on tracks panned left and right. That means that we probably won't be able to cut this to vinyl, but since the initial release will be as digital download single that won't matter at the moment. I've also added a low bass part underneath the high Bass VI parts in the "Middle 8" just to fill out the recorded sound. This may or may not remain on the final version depending on what synth parts get added.

The Logic project has now been sent to our synth player who'll be adding his parts this weekend, before mixing it down into a handful of stems that we'll send to the studio where our singer will recording vocals next week. We learnt with our lockdown recording that the vocals really need to be done at a proper studio.

I'll post more as the recording progresses. The next stage after the vocals have been laid down will be for me to have another look at the drum programming and make sure all the drum parts fit properly around the vocals.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

This was done playing the drone notes in one pass and the other notes in a second and then cutting the the second pass into individual notes so they could be placed on tracks panned left and right.

This is why I love recording. Playing live is great (and will always remain my no.1 passion) but I love trying new things out in the studio.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

This was done playing the drone notes in one pass and the other notes in a second and then cutting the the second pass into individual notes so they could be placed on tracks panned left and right. That means that we probably won't be able to cut this to vinyl,

Interesting idea, but can you expand on why it wouldn't work for vinyl?

I have a Piano Sketch template in my DAW with two Pianos already loaded up.

If I have a melody already in my head, that will be played into Piano one. Chords will then go into Piano two.

If I'm stuck for ideas and have just been noodling around on a piano patch. I will hit retrospective record and listen back through the midi data and keep and develop anything from there.

Either way, the midi date/events will be tidied up and broken down and arranged into Orchestra tracks, or Rock/ EMD/Hybrid etc 

I never start with drums and/or percussion, that is usually added/programmed later as I go along with the various Apps I have. Same with any other VST/Rompler Instruments that flash through my head.

More recently, I have been composing in the Dorico 4 notation app (mainly the Orchestral or Jazz/Big Band pieces), and this is exported over into Nuendo for the serious work using my better libraries.

I like working this way with larger tunes/orchestrations because I can easily view harmony/chord ideas and spot something I want to change pretty much straight way.

Any FX, sound design or experimenting is usually done after my tune and arrangement form has been sorted out before the mixing process.

Of course, if used or needed, Bass and Guitars are recorded as audio at some point. Midi controller Keyboard parts and other Instruments are usually played in even if it means tidying up afterwards.

This usually keeps any dynamics and CC#'s in place.

Sometimes I paint or step record notes into the DAW PRV or notation view and if using Dorico, input is a combination of step input and playing.

Retrospective recording has been a very useful tool for me. Many times, it has saved the day when I think I have lost something.

25 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Interesting idea, but can you expand on why it wouldn't work for vinyl?

It's very difficult to cut vinyl when there is stereo movement of low frequencies. The groove on a record contains the left and right channel information on opposite "slopes" If the bass frequencies are centred the groove will be close to symmetrical on both sides. As you pan this information from side to side you end up with a groove that gets wider and narrower as the low frequency information moves from left to right and back again. The wider the groove the less likely the cutting lathe is going to be able to create it, and even if it could be cut most record decks wouldn't be able to play it. for this reason Its recommended that all frequencies under 300Hz are in mono. There are mastering plug-ins that will do this for you, so we can use one to listen and see how much of the bass panning effect is going to be lost should we decide to put this track on vinyl in the future.

On the whole vinyl is a very poor delivery medium for modern music when compared with CD or better digital formats. Lots of stereo effects are simply not reproducible - certainly anything using phase changes to make the sound wider and bigger will cause problems. Also due to the nature of record and the way the stylus moves slower in relation to the groove as it reaches the centre of the disc have implications for the running order of an album. Ever wondered why all the noisy high energy tracks are at the start of each side and the last track is nearly always more quiet and laid back? That's why.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1