Why become a member? ×

Combo for stack to save my back :)

Stealth

Hi
I want to swap my current rig for a decent portable combo or maybe maybe a single light cab and keep the head. I have an Ashdown Abm 300 Evo 11 head used with 4x8 & 1x15 mini cabs and a Pod XT live for compression,tuning.

I know these are pretty compact and not to heavy at 20 & 30 KG but the old back is a creakin !

Bass wise its mainly a Lakland Bob Glaub and a SeiBass Jazz 5 string

I play classic rock covers in pubs with a loudish drummer and no PA support. The Ashdown copes with bags to spare. I like it pretty clean with some mid bite

I am considering :

Combos
Gallien Kruger 700RB /210 (nice wheels)
Markbass CMD 102 or 103H

Cabs
Gallien Kruger Neo 212
Zoot 2 X 12
Epifani 2x10

Any ideas of other solutions or experiance of these would be usefull cheers.

Don't really have a budget cap (unless my wife is reading this in which case its £19.99)

Stealth

Any way you could get your drivers changed? I have a pair of Ashdown Mini cabs with Celestion Neo 12's in them, which I use with my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0. Same size cabs as yours, but I can carry one in each hand if necessary, with the Shuttle in a laptop bag over my shoulder. I bought them from Nick Carey, they were done by a chap whose name I forget, but I'm getting loads of compliments about the sound-I couldn't be happier with the setup.

[quote name='Stealth' post='464717' date='Apr 17 2009, 09:45 AM']....I play classic rock covers in pubs with a loudish drummer and no PA support. The Ashdown copes with bags to spare. I like it pretty clean with some mid bite....[/quote]
Any combo will be a heavier lift than a neo cab and will start to struggle in a loud rock band way before a cab will. The lightest you can go and still retain volume and tone is either 2 neo 112's or 2 neo 2x10's, also try the Barefaced Compact, might be just what you need.

[quote name='Stealth' post='464717' date='Apr 17 2009, 09:45 AM']Hi
I want to swap my current rig for a decent portable combo or maybe maybe a single light cab and keep the head. I have an Ashdown Abm 300 Evo 11 head used with 4x8 & 1x15 mini cabs and a Pod XT live for compression,tuning.

I know these are pretty compact and not to heavy at 20 & 30 KG but the old back is a creakin !

Stealth[/quote]

I downsized from a combo to pretty much this combination. There is some advantage in the 1 box with everything but they are heavy.

I had an eden Metro, Crez is selling one in amps for sale, and If I could lift it, I would have another one.

I would be very tempted to try a compact with the ashdown

I definitely support the notion of splitting the weight into individual components ie. not a combo. The heavy bits of any rig are the magnets - both in the poweramp and speakers.

Splitting to head+cab (and a +1 for Alex's barefaced cabs which do truly sound awesome and are the lightest things around) would be one step, but you might also like to think about moving to preamp+poweramp. If you have a look around, and have some cash to splash, then you should explore the lighter poweramps (am I right in thinking these are 'Class D' amps?). You can get them in 1u or 2u cases and are phenomenally light compared to the equivalent amps you find in standard heads.

You could even take this one step further and scrap the preamp.... get a Sansamp Bassdriver or equivalent and run straight into the poweramp.

At the end of the day, combo's are great in terms of minimising trips from the car/van to the stage, but they are beasts.