Why become a member? ×

Bargain five string - £50 for a quick sale - *SOLD*
£90
Birmingham

ambient

I was given this by a friend last year.

It’s possibly a Shine, though there are no identifying marks or labels anywhere on the bass, other than a ‘made in China’ sticker.

I have gigged with it when I depped for my friend’s jazz band. It plays well and has recently been set up.

It’s strung with a new set of D’Addario strings. The action is reasonably low, and the bass is very playable, belying its bargain price.

It has a few cosmetic imperfections, though nothing that affects the instrument’s playability.

it appears to have a rosewood fretboard, I have no idea what timber lurks underneath the paintwork.

The bridge is of reasonable quality, the tuners do their job.

Overall, bang for buck, it’s a pretty nice instrument.

It comes with a Stagg padded gig bag.

I would prefer collection from Sutton Coldfield.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bunion said:

It’s only 2 hours away could a family member come and collect it for you? 

😄

In theory yes, but when I factor in the petrol, plus it is a big ask of one of my siblings, the Thomann basses make more sense.

• Haha 1

• ambient changed the title to Bargain five string - £80
1 hour ago, Bobby K said:

This looks exactly like a SHINE bass that I used to own. They sound pretty decent and are an excellent introduction into the fiver world 

Did your bass have any maker's name on it?

It is a surprisingly good bass. I was playing it the other day, and I did a gig with for the friend who gave it to me.

It didn't have a maker's name on it but was virtually identical to a friend's bass that did have the SHINE name on it.

I can't really remember where I got it from now, as it was around 2007 but it was definitely advertised as a Shine. It was dirt cheap when I got it but I bought it purely because my friend's one sounded so good, for not a lot of money. Now I think on, my friend's one was actually a six string! Mine was blue, exactly like this one and my friend's sixer was red.

Pretty sure mine was active and had a battery inside, under the control cover. 

• Like 1

• ambient changed the title to Bargain five string - £70
On 23/07/2022 at 19:43, SICbass said:

Calling @Bunion - you are a very naughty man. If I could figure out a way to get this up to the Wirral... hmmm

Thanks for taking the trouble, much appreciated,

Paul

I'm driving from the West Midlands to Manchester on Friday,  for five quid petrol I'll pick it up and bring it with me if you want?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

I'm driving from the West Midlands to Manchester on Friday,  for five quid petrol I'll pick it up and bring it with me if you want?

Once again, I am delighted at the kindness of this group. However, I have just taken delivery of a Harley Benton 5-string from Thomann. Thanks @StingRayBoy42for your kind offer of assistance.

• Thanks 1

• ambient changed the title to Bargain five string - £65
  • 2 weeks later...

Headstock looks a bit short for one of Shine's own branded models, they usually have a bit more beyond the machine heads. probably an OEM from the Chinese Saein factory mind.

I had the 6 string version of this bass in trans red many moons ago and also the posher SB525TA 5 string with a fancy top. Both solid basses that punched well above their used value, especially the 5 string which I gigged a few times.

• ambient changed the title to Bargain five string - £50 for a quick sale sold