Why become a member? ×

Anyone ever played a Greco TVB-45 Bass?

Duarte

As some of you may know I'm a sucker for old Japanese instruments. 

This came up for sale relatively local to me in Australia- it's a Greco TVB-45. There's not much info available, but I'm intrigued. I've just moved here from Thailand, and couldn't take my bass collection (like some kind of poligassist I now have separate bass families on 2 continents with a third rearing its ugly headstock). Is there any info in the basschat wisdom on these basses? It looks so damn cool. It's a shorty, with gotoh harware, and it's from 1987 Japan - that's all I know.

Thanks in advance.

Z

276326251_4820831214706544_6903242259614950302_n.jpeg

Edited by Duarte
  • Like 1

BBOT bridge aside (promise me you'll put something chunkier on it if you pull the trigger), the lack of pickguard plays tricks with the aesthetics/geometry; that looks a lot nicer than any double-cut Les Paul Junior bass I've ever seen from Gibson.  It has a distinct Hamer-esque look.

• Like 2

New one on me - had a bit of a dig and it's on page 56 of this 1988 Greco catalogue:

https://vintagejapanguitars.com/greco-1989-catalogue/

Should be good quality, at this point Greco was still exclusively MIJ & Fujigen was the factory.

Not going to be a particularly common bass so I'd leave it stock, or at least don't do anything irreversible.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

BBOT bridge aside (promise me you'll put something chunkier on it if you pull the trigger), the lack of pickguard plays tricks with the aesthetics/geometry; that looks a lot nicer than any double-cut Les Paul Junior bass I've ever seen from Gibson.  It has a distinct Hamer-esque look.

Oh there's a big chunky gotoh around here somewhere, just waiting to be transplanted into something.

6 minutes ago, HippieNerd said:

I love it because I love somewhat symmetrical horns.  And that’s just a fantastic slab of bass.  Get it!!!!

I'm arranging to go and try it out. I think it would be the perfect sibling for the Greco P and the medium scale Aria Pro II.

IMG_20211010_140910.jpeg

IMG_20210925_085613.jpeg

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Bassassin said:

New one on me - had a bit of a dig and it's on page 56 of this 1988 Greco catalogue:

https://vintagejapanguitars.com/greco-1989-catalogue/

Should be good quality, at this point Greco was still exclusively MIJ & Fujigen was the factory.

Not going to be a particularly common bass so I'd leave it stock, or at least don't do anything irreversible.

I love the Greco coding relative to the price in Yen.😄

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, briansbrew said:

There is one for sale and was just wondering what they sounded like, seems decent quality. The hard Punchers are very good

Please go and check it out, for all our sakes! I still these basses so compelling so I'd love to know.