Why become a member? ×

NDB - Dingwall D-Roc 5 (Aquamarine Flake)

Machines

34 minutes ago, krispn said:

I moved mine on as it just wasn’t as comfortable as the Super P. I enjoyed it but it wasn’t a match for me. I’ve been spoilt😀

Are we talking neck or body comfort? Still got my (your old) Super PZ5 btw ;)

5 minutes ago, krispn said:

Just an overall feel for me. Although comfortable it just didn’t feel as natural as a F style guitar but I’ve always struggled with TB shape basses. 

OK cheers - guess you just have to try these things and see how it pans out. I've got my eye on something else on here but if that doesn't come to fruition then a trip to Bass Direct may be in order!

3 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

@Machines and @krispn - how are you both getting on with your D-Rocs?

And why am I asking? No reason really, definitely not Dingwall GAS.

Well, it's still here. Used on many gigs and recordings and still looks brand new other than light pickup shining. I will say however it is not my 'every day' bass, as it's not one for a subtle sound and sometimes it's a bit brutish where a delicate touch is better. I have Yamahas 6's and an MTD for those jobs.

My band has a new single out on the 16th, i'll drop a link to the recording when it's out so you can hear it doing it's thing.

It also now has a friend which will feature in a video shoot in 2 days.

image.thumb.png.9b470aeea2c175f3014984b88970c2da.png

4 minutes ago, Owen said:

Crazy! There is no way I clocked them as stickers. I shall have the same. 

They're very robust, you just need a very good eye to ensure OCD appropriate alignment. Cheap enough to buy a few to choose between also.

9 hours ago, Machines said:

Well, it's still here. Used on many gigs and recordings and still looks brand new other than light pickup shining. I will say however it is not my 'every day' bass, as it's not one for a subtle sound and sometimes it's a bit brutish where a delicate touch is better. I have Yamahas 6's and an MTD for those jobs.

My band has a new single out on the 16th, i'll drop a link to the recording when it's out so you can hear it doing it's thing.

It also now has a friend which will feature in a video shoot in 2 days.

image.thumb.png.9b470aeea2c175f3014984b88970c2da.png

As a current player of solely P-basses I'm used to brutish!

Yeah I’d agree it’s a specific sound and it does sound good but I was thinking it would have Ben a good match (and it was) in my 80’s band. The look and sound being able to cop a solid p bass style sound. The bridge pick up has that same p bass quality but just a bit more brighter. The beauty of the same pick up in three positions is if you like the core sound then you get variations on that. I think they’re gray basses but just not as comfy for a wee shortie like me 😀

44 minutes ago, krispn said:

Yeah I’d agree it’s a specific sound and it does sound good but I was thinking it would have Ben a good match (and it was) in my 80’s band. The look and sound being able to cop a solid p bass style sound. The bridge pick up has that same p bass quality but just a bit more brighter. The beauty of the same pick up in three positions is if you like the core sound then you get variations on that. I think they’re gray basses but just not as comfy for a wee shortie like me 😀

You can also swap the middle and neck pickups around (no wiring required, just swap them !) to get a more Jazz style switching option.

image.png.beb92cd98fbaac1c2308b85c94a7a63c.png

• Thanks 1

Yeah I’d thought about  that option just for fun but was happy with how it sounded as was. The beauty of the Dingwall was the pick ups are all the same size. Also the NG models I think still have the 3 pick up route so you could move the  pick ups about too and experiment with their position. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, BillyBass said:

That's quite good.  I listened to 'Lost Boys' on YouTube, definitely a Paramore vibe, as one of the comments says.  Well done.

Thanks ! Most of our newer stuff is leaning towards the catchier side. Paramore are definitely in our list of influences.

ah I had one of the first D-Roc 4's that got around here some 2-3 years ago, on the new shape which I defo preferred and that same aquamarine colour.

I loved it and felt like it was a very versatile passive bass! still definitely in the rock / metal thing and didn't see myself playing it in other scenarios.

Enjoy!

On 06/04/2022 at 13:24, LeftyJ said:

Lovely, congrats! Probably the best finish available on these, I love it. The "new" shape after the D-bird copyright issues has grown on me quite a bit by now, it looks fantastic! 

Here's the before / after, for those who missed it:

297045C2-A86A-4F66-A19A-D207C3001C13.jpe

The after looks like it *flows* so much better. Perhaps the joke's on Gibson for pushing Dingwall to improve the shape.

• Like 2