Why become a member? ×

Stickers

Combed20

I'm tempted by the new Sire P5. Fretboard seems like a dream - but I really don't like the colour options on the body. Figured I could sort that by literally covering it in stickers. Wondering how to do this and avoid them peeling. Do po

people put varnish over them or something?

Cheers

7 hours ago, ambient said:

Any kind of permanent sticker is fine until you decide you really don’t like it, and try to remove it.

Why not have it resprayed to a colour you do like?

I don't want to attempt samding it and respraying myself. If I can find someone to do it, who isn't too expensive, it's certainly a good option. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Combed20 said:

I don't want to attempt samding it and respraying myself. If I can find someone to do it, who isn't too expensive, it's certainly a good option. Thanks.

I had a car body shop spray one for me ten or so years ago. He did a great job for less than £100. I supplied the paint though.

• Like 1

I sticker bombed a pickguard recently.

Stickers all over it, scalpel/razor blade around the edges, sprayed clear satin varnish over the top - I have this anyway for other hobbies, but Halfords stuff will do fine.

Be careful with cold and humidity - both can result in clear coat coming out cloudy/powdery.

Do a test spray on something else and dial in your distance and number of passes based on that.

I know my choice of stickers will not be to most peoples tastes, but I don't give a monkies. 

20220102_220653.jpg

Edited by Vin Venal
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Vin Venal said:

I sticker bombed a pickguard recently.

Stickers all over it, scalpel/razor blade around the edges, sprayed clear satin varnish over the top - I have this anyway for other hobbies, but Halfords stuff will do fine.

Be careful with cold and humidity - both can result in clear coat coming out cloudy/powdery.

Do a test spray on something else and dial in your distance and number of passes based on that.

I know my choice of stickers will not be to most peoples tastes, but I don't give a monkies. 

20220102_220653.jpg

I normally hate stickers on basses, but that looks rather smart. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Combed20 said:

I'm tempted by the new Sire P5. Fretboard seems like a dream - but I really don't like the colour options on the body. Figured I could sort that by literally covering it in stickers. Wondering how to do this and avoid them peeling. Do po

people put varnish over them or something?

Cheers

I think it depends on the type of sticker.

Paper stickers tend to stick well but can be rubbed off over time. Of course this depends on their position and whether you’ll touch them at all.

Heavyweight vinyl stickers stick well but over time the design will wear off. Again, this is based on contact.

Thin vinyl or other plastic type stickers are pretty useless and don’t tend to stick for long. The adhesive never seems very tacky to me.

• Like 1