Why become a member? ×

Using a keyboard controller (midi) as a stand-alone unit: what do I need?

mcnach

Completely new to this.

I've inherited a cool keyboard which is just a midi controller. I would like to use it away from the computer. What do I need?

Am I right in thinking all I need is a sound module box that I can plug the keyboard into, via midi, and then just use the audio output with headphones/external amplifier? Something like this?

https://miditech.de/en/portfolio/pianobox-pro/

Pianobox_Pro_big_fr.jpg

10 hours ago, mcnach said:

Am I right in thinking

Yup. You are right in thinking.
Either such a box or a phone or tablet with an app that makes sound. Especially for Apple units, the amount of synths, organs, pianos etc is staggering. 

As to the physical connection, it depends on the MIDI Out of the keyboard as well as on the MIDI In on the thing that makes the sound. I don't remember all the specifics, but a USB MIDI Out to an Apple unit is very simple with the Apple USB-to-Lightning or USB-to-30pin adapter.
I seem to remember you need to do more to get a DIN MIDI Out to work with an Apple unit, but my memory is hazy. Probably a DIN to USB box. Maybe someone else knows exactly.

Of course, DIN to DIN MIDI is simple if you get a box like the Miditech.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 2

Depends on what keyboard it is, if it has external power (ie isn't powered over USB), if it has DIN connections (although you can get DIN to USB adapters).

But largely your thinking is correct.

Si

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Depends on what keyboard it is, if it has external power (ie isn't powered over USB), if it has DIN connections (although you can get DIN to USB adapters).

But largely your thinking is correct.

Si

The keyboard is powered by its own wall wart style power supply. It has a DIN midi out (there's also a USB type-B but I'm not sure what it's used for, I need to get the manual), which I suppose is what I'd connect to the external sound module (like the one I linked to), and the sound module has the audio outs I intend to use. So it looks ok to me?

4 minutes ago, mcnach said:

The keyboard is powered by its own wall wart style power supply. It has a DIN midi out (there's also a USB type-B but I'm not sure what it's used for, I need to get the manual), which I suppose is what I'd connect to the external sound module (like the one I linked to), and the sound module has the audio outs I intend to use. So it looks ok to me?

Yes, it should be fine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

The only thing I'd say about the module in the OP is that the sounds don't appear to be editable, so unless you you find enough of them usable as they are, you may well be disappointed. 

Yeah, it' pretty basic, but I don't want to spend a lot right now and I just want some basic sounds to use for demos etc (our keyboard player has an extensive array of keyboards and toys that would put any of my attempts to shame :) ). 

The sounds seem fine, nothing amazing but fine. 

I'm also considering something like a Yamaha MU50. It's ancient, from the 90s, but the sounds seem to compare better, the display is a lot better (actual instrument names rather than numbers, for starters), and you can edit parameters. The only thing making me hesitate is that it's very very old. I found one in great condition, at £175, which is about £75 more than I wanted it to be but it may still be a much better unit... I'm hesitant.

Hmm... Miditech Pianobox Pro, or Yamaha MU50? 

21 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Not being one to dwell in indecision... I just bought the Yamaha MU50. The ability to edit sounds is too useful, after I had a thought. 

Thank you for all the comments, really appreciated!

If it is easy, check the status of the memory back-up battery. I've had several devices of similar vintage die over the last 10 years due to the battery running down. With a bit of luck the battery will be easily replaceable and not directly soldered onto the main board in some relatively inaccessible place (I'm looking at you Peavey).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As to the back-up battery @BigRedX mentions, if it's soldered directly to the main board, IMHO it's a good idea to solder two parallel battery holders to the main board, fill one with a battery and then desolder the old battery. This way, a future battery switch becomes a matter of seconds. This is what I did in an old Yamaha DX7 or TX802.

• Thanks 1

Good call on the battery, given its age! I'll ask the seller if they ever replaced it (they had it from new they say). 

I haven't found many details, but it looks like it uses a CR2450 and that indeed it is soldered but people claim it was easy to get to. 

33 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Those piano box things are all you need to connect a class compliant keyboard into them via usb, and they will also provide power for it as well if you want.

I have one of the MidiEngine ones, which are basically similar except not a piano.

What do you think about the sounds in it?

Largely speaking they are functional. Some of them are pretty good, some of them are a bit non convincing, it varies on a patch by patch basis. you have the general piano / horns / strings etc and you can find reasonable patches for some of those, but it is not really competing with some of the really good sound modules (or even the iPad apps). For use on a stage they are fine, I wouldn't really use them for recording.

I got it for use on the stage, for home I have some good apps and a Roland DS, which sound better. In fact on stage I mostly use the iM1 app, whcih sound better, but it is handy that it is just a hardware box you can plug in and make noise.

I think they are very good for the price.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Largely speaking they are functional. Some of them are pretty good, some of them are a bit non convincing, it varies on a patch by patch basis. you have the general piano / horns / strings etc and you can find reasonable patches for some of those, but it is not really competing with some of the really good sound modules (or even the iPad apps). For use on a stage they are fine, I wouldn't really use them for recording.

I got it for use on the stage, for home I have some good apps and a Roland DS, which sound better. In fact on stage I mostly use the iM1 app, whcih sound better, but it is handy that it is just a hardware box you can plug in and make noise.

I think they are very good for the price.

Thank you!

Some of the sounds I heard in demos were pretty good, especially synth/pads, but some of the others were very variable. Of course I only heard a small fraction of all available, and for my intended purpose (demos of ideas for the band) they'd do.

I went with the MU50 mostly because I remembered that I could get some very useable sounds out of my old soundcard's general midi if I edited some of the built-in ones, so having the ability to edit sounds seemed a very good option to have... but I also like the format of teh MidiEngine and the other units, especially the bit about powering them via USB (which my keyboard can provide), so if I don't get along with the MU50 for whatever reason I will probably try one of these.

Yes, almost certainly the MU50 will have better sounds, so not a bad choice. The advantage these have is just the plug and play USB and no other required leads.

You read the power order wrong, these actually have batteries in and can power your keyboard as well, they don't need to be the other way round.

• Thanks 1