Why become a member? ×

Need to mic the drums with only 3 mics

Jamesemt

I've only got 3 inputs left on my soundcard for the drums and am wondering where best to place the mics?

I'm thinking Mic1 kick drum, Mic2 in between snare and high-hat, then third in between the two toms.

Alternative is to use a fourth mic and mix two of the mics together before recording...

Any advice - this is only for rehearsals but I've splashed out £300 on a soundcard so do want something semi decent :)

I find the best way to record a drum kit is to have one mic for the kick, one for the snare and one overhead (probably placed just above and in front of the drummers head).

Spend time trying to get a good overall sound with just the overhead and just add a bit of the kick and snare mics for more definition.

[quote name='Ray' post='458677' date='Apr 9 2009, 06:30 PM']I find the best way to record a drum kit is to have one mic for the kick, one for the snare and one overhead (probably placed just above and in front of the drummers head).[/quote]

Depending on what types of mics you have, I'd be tempted to go for two overheads and a kick. But Ray's way also works (if you don't mind mono drums).

Check out "Feel The Way" and "Smooth" here [url="http://www.myspace.com/oscq"]http://www.myspace.com/oscq[/url]

I recorded the drums using the above method and I'm really pleased with the result! :)

[quote name='The Funk' post='458680' date='Apr 9 2009, 06:32 PM']Depending on what types of mics you have, I'd be tempted to go for two overheads and a kick. But Ray's way also works (if you don't mind mono drums).[/quote]
Mono drums rule!!! :)

The Funk's method is also a good way to do it. Try both and see what works best.

Edited by Ray

[quote name='PapillonIrl' post='458729' date='Apr 9 2009, 07:11 PM']Mono Drums do indeed rule.

Do a search for 'Glyn Johns Method' and 'Recorderman Method'.

Some world-class drum sounds can be got with three mics.[/quote]

Forgot to ask....what mics are you using ? This could change things a bit....

Those sound like 3 dynamic mics, suitable only for snare and toms. If they're the tiny, piddly little AKG ones then they'll distort on the kick and be useless for an overhead.

If they're the slightly bigger Shure, Sennheiser or Audix mics, I'd try Ray's way. If the signal from the kick distorts with the mic inside the kick, put it slightly outside the skin on the opposite side from the pedal.

Clip on's are ok for close mic technique..... for the 3 mic method see the guy's comment's above. My own choice when recording drums (love Mono recording by the way) one kick drum mic (various) and 2 x U87 overheads (if your budget allows or you can hire/borrow these) which give great open sounding results.

Jay

[quote]Recorderman method uses only 2 mikes, I think.[/quote]

The recorder man method is an overhead method that captures the kit in the space. It removes the need for additional mics but there is no reason why you cannot use more. When I use it I tend to Mic the kick as well as the pair.

Clip on mics will handle quite loud sources as they are used to being 1" away from the drum that is being hit. As a bear minimum I would consider picking up one of these (or similar):

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AKG-PERCEPTION-150-Live-STUDIO-Microphone-NEW_W0QQitemZ360140633190QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Consumer_Professional_RL?hash=item360140633190&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AKG-PERCEPTION-150-L...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url]

Its not great but when combined with a kick directly above the snare drum (about 2-3ft depending on the room) and you will be on your way.Only thing to watch out for is where the cymbals are. If the crash is closer to the mic than the snare then it will sound a little brutal so play about with the position.

Good luck.

G

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='459198' date='Apr 10 2009, 12:27 PM']The recorder man method is an overhead method that captures the kit in the space. It removes the need for additional mics but there is no reason why you cannot use more. When I use it I tend to Mic the kick as well as the pair.

Clip on mics will handle quite loud sources as they are used to being 1" away from the drum that is being hit. As a bear minimum I would consider picking up one of these (or similar):

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AKG-PERCEPTION-150-Live-STUDIO-Microphone-NEW_W0QQitemZ360140633190QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Consumer_Professional_RL?hash=item360140633190&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AKG-PERCEPTION-150-L...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url]

Its not great but when combined with a kick directly above the snare drum (about 2-3ft depending on the room) and you will be on your way.Only thing to watch out for is where the cymbals are. If the crash is closer to the mic than the snare then it will sound a little brutal so play about with the position.[/quote]

+1

Digital Village has got the Perception 150 for even less, or for a bit more you could try something like the Studio Projects B1, which makes a great cheap general purpose mic.

[quote name='The Funk' post='459021' date='Apr 10 2009, 03:34 AM']If they're the tiny, piddly little AKG ones then they'll distort on the kick[/quote]

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='459198' date='Apr 10 2009, 12:27 PM']Clip on mics will handle quite loud sources as they are used to being 1" away from the drum that is being hit[/quote]

Garry's right, thinking about it - they might handle the level of the kick drum but I'd still be a bit worried about the sound you'd get.

[quote name='The Funk' post='458680' date='Apr 9 2009, 06:32 PM']Depending on what types of mics you have, I'd be tempted to go for two overheads and a kick. But Ray's way also works (if you don't mind mono drums).[/quote]

Another +1 for The Funk.

EDIT, oops, clips, huh? Erm, get some other mics?

Edited by silddx

I just tried the Recorderman method yesterday, plus a kick and small clip-on on the snare and was really pleased with the results! The kick and snare mikes aren't really essential, but gives a bit more control of the drum mix.
I found with this method the basic sound was much better than I had achieved before and needed a lot less eq-ing to sound decent. You also get a nice stereo positioning on the toms and cymbals without micing the toms seperately.
The mikes are a cheap Red 5 set, condensers overhead, of course.
Best of luck
Jules

I would personally go for the 4th mic, put 2 overhead mixed left and right then have the other 2 for the kick+snare. If your cymbals aren't too loud then just having the overheads and kick is an option (it's known as triangle micing) but i find that the snare can get lost there somewhere otherwise the cymbals are too loud.