Why become a member? ×

I have 1 space left on my board... what shall I put there?

fretmeister

Right then... on my bass board I have, in no particular order...

Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Boss Line Selector
EHX Metal Muff
Marshall Jackhammer
Marshall ED-1 compressor
Korg Pitchblack tuner
Digitech Synth Bass Wah
MXR Carbon Copy Delay

I have 1 space left... slightly larger than a boss pedal...

I feel the need to put a pedal there!! - but a phaser or chorus or eq or fuzz or octave or some other squeltchy nonsense....

IDEAS PLEASE!!!

Get yourself an EHX Nano Small Stone, or a Boss CEB-3 chorus, or maybe a Boss OC-2, all cheap and great pedals.

If I was you though I'd probably just use the BSW as an octave down and instead get myself a nice pre amp/DI, such as an MXR M-80 or a SansAmp :).

Edited by EskimoBassist

I'd make a 'producer placebo box' using bits from maplin. - aluminium box, pots, footswitch, jack sockets etc.

The input will be connected directly to the output and there'd be at least one footswitch and pot not connected to anything. Go crazy with painting it and give it a suitably funky name. With that on your board, anytime a bandmate asks you to make a change to your sound (including a request to turn the volume down) you'll have some controls to adjust to make them happy without actually messing up your sound. :)

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='458276' date='Apr 9 2009, 12:25 PM']Get yourself an EHX Nano Small Stone, or a Boss CEB-3 chorus, or maybe a Boss OC-2, all cheap and great pedals.

If I was you though I'd probably just use the BSW as an octave down and instead get myself a nice pre amp/DI, such as an MXR M-80 or a SansAmp :).[/quote]

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='458281' date='Apr 9 2009, 12:27 PM']I'd make a 'producer placebo box' using bits from maplin. - aluminium box, pots, footswitch, jack sockets etc.

The input will be connected directly to the output and there'd be at least one footswitch and pot not connected to anything. Go crazy with painting it and give it a suitably funky name. With that on your board, anytime a bandmate asks you to make a change to your sound (including a request to turn the volume down) you'll have some controls to adjust to make them happy without actually messing up your sound. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Both brilliant ideas! A decent DI is so useful but the Producer Placebo Box is pure genius.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='458281' date='Apr 9 2009, 12:27 PM']I'd make a 'producer placebo box' using bits from maplin. - aluminium box, pots, footswitch, jack sockets etc.

The input will be connected directly to the output and there'd be at least one footswitch and pot not connected to anything. Go crazy with painting it and give it a suitably funky name. With that on your board, anytime a bandmate asks you to make a change to your sound (including a request to turn the volume down) you'll have some controls to adjust to make them happy without actually messing up your sound. :)[/quote]

Genius! I like it.

The input will be connected directly to the output and there'd be at least one footswitch and pot not connected to anything. Go crazy with painting it and give it a suitably funky name. With that on your board, anytime a bandmate asks you to make a change to your sound (including a request to turn the volume down) you'll have some controls to adjust to make them happy without actually messing up your sound. :)[/quote]

I think i'm actually going to do that. :rolleyes:

My [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electro-Harmonix-DOUBLE-MUFF-Not-Big-Muff_W0QQitemZ120402320958QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Outboards_Effects_MJ?hash=item120402320958&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]EHX Double Muff[/url]

Shameless plug I know.

I love that!!!

:rolleyes:

[quote name='fretmeister' post='458261' date='Apr 9 2009, 12:17 PM']Right then... on my bass board I have, in no particular order...

Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Boss Line Selector
EHX Metal Muff
Marshall Jackhammer
Marshall ED-1 compressor
Korg Pitchblack tuner
Digitech Synth Bass Wah
MXR Carbon Copy Delay

I have 1 space left... slightly larger than a boss pedal...

I feel the need to put a pedal there!! - but a phaser or chorus or eq or fuzz or octave or some other squeltchy nonsense....

IDEAS PLEASE!!![/quote]
get a ring mod =|;>

+1 for the Producer Placebo Box.

It reminds me of guitarist's amp controls. He turns them & it sounds no different.

I did a little investigating & discovered a dial on the back of his amp that says wattage below it, set to max of course...
I suspect this being the only thing on the amp that can adjust the noise he produces in rehearsals! :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='459044' date='Apr 10 2009, 08:57 AM']+1 for the Producer Placebo Box.

It reminds me of guitarist's amp controls. He turns them & it sounds no different.

I did a little investigating & discovered a dial on the back of his amp that says wattage below it, set to max of course...
I suspect this being the only thing on the amp that can adjust the noise he produces in rehearsals! :rolleyes:[/quote]

our guitarist has one of those...all the way on one side, runs at class AB and puts out 100 watts; the other side and it runs just class A and puts out 30 watts

guess who unwittingly gets set to run in class A a lot! :)

[quote name='escholl' post='459094' date='Apr 10 2009, 10:19 AM']our guitarist has one of those...all the way on one side, runs at class AB and puts out 100 watts; the other side and it runs just class A and puts out 30 watts

guess who unwittingly gets set to run in class A a lot! :)[/quote]
haha my guitarist thinks everything sounds better if its louder and bitches if hes not twice as loud as everyone its a bit strange

I think most guitarists think the rest of the band is just there for a backing track for them to noodle all over (really f@c<ing annoying when the singer's trying to be heard over him).

How about filling your space with a small catapult that's aimed at the guitter that fires marbles at him every time he goes too loud or starts noodling.

My guitter would be constantly getting shot!