Why become a member? ×

NBD Encore P bass (Charidee shop mate).

Maude

3 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Who cares about the logo , you certainly shouldn't.

You've got yourself a nice wee bass and its brought a bit pleasure into your life 🙂

I couldn't agree more. 

I'm a champion of the cheap. 

😁

1 hour ago, Pea Turgh said:

You certainly have a talent for making less desirable basses more desirable!  This one looks great so far!

Hope your wife gets better soon.  

Thank you on both counts. 

Nothing much work needed with the bass though, great looking thing from the the factory. 

I suppose, very generally speaking, a £500 bass is pretty much a £200 bass with some extra man hours and stricter QC. 

I've just spent a couple of hours levelling, bevelling, recrowning and polishing the frets, and rounding the edges of the fretboard. It's got some oil soaking in now and I'll give it a buff in a mo. Two hours but suddenly a hugely more playable neck. 

I think the old Chromes from my other Precision will go on this with the Tonerider PU. 

The other Precision has a SD 1/4 Pound PU so can have some rounds for a bit of aggressive clank. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maude said:

I suppose, very generally speaking, a £500 bass is pretty much a £200 bass with some extra man hours and stricter QC. 

Having purchased a number of £500 basses and returned pretty much all of them I would agree with this but with the caveat that the QC improvements are generally very small,

As someone who has pretty much exclusively played cheap basses, I decided recently to get some decent basses but to set my limit at £500ish, for £500 you should be able to get a decent bass... right?

First one I ordered, initially I thought maybe it was just the particular model of bass that felt cheap, then I purchased more basses around this price point and I started to see a pattern, with the exception of the Fender pj Mustang bass they all felt like £200-£300 basses that someone had slapped a £500 price tag on.

In summary, if I ever feel the need to buy  what I consider a 'decent' bass I will look around the £700-£800 mark (assuming I am buying new), the improvements in the £500 range compared to basses in the £200 range are minimal considering the price difference.

• Like 1

Fitted the Chrome flats, Tonerider pickup and gave it a set up today. 

It plays really, really nicely and sounds great now. 

Really happy with it.

The neck has a familiar Yamaha feel to it which is nice. It's amazing the transformation an hour or two doing some fretwork and smoothing/rounding every edge on the neck has on comfort. 

This will be my old skool thump Precision and the Aria STB that had the Chromes on will get rounds to go with the already fitted 1/4 Pound PU, and be my grindy rock Precision as it has a bit of a 70s look. 

h7r8ONV.jpeg

It would look nice with bridge and PU covers on but I don't really like how cluttered they make a bass feel. Bridge ones are OK but the PU ones drive me nuts. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Maude said:

Fitted the Chrome flats, Tonerider pickup and gave it a set up today. 

It plays really, really nicely and sounds great now. 

Really happy with it.

The neck has a familiar Yamaha feel to it which is nice. It's amazing the transformation an hour or two doing some fretwork and smoothing/rounding every edge on the neck has on comfort. 

This will be my old skool thump Precision and the Aria STB that had the Chromes on will get rounds to go with the already fitted 1/4 Pound PU, and be my grindy rock Precision as it has a bit of a 70s look. 

h7r8ONV.jpeg

It would look nice with bridge and PU covers on but I don't really like how cluttered they make a bass feel. Bridge ones are OK but the PU ones drive me nuts. 

I brought covers for my p bass and I thought I would get used to the one covering the pickup but I just couldn't and it impacted my playing so the pickup cover came off and the bridge one stayed on

• Like 1

On 14/02/2022 at 08:15, Ricky Rioli said:

And the pg, has it really got the creaminess that's coming across in the photos, or is just reflecting warm lighting?

Here's a picture with my Attitude bass pickguard for comparison. Still indoor lighting but you can see the difference. 

The Attitude one is white but about ten years old, so is slightly off white compared to brand new white pearl, but nonetheless you see just how creamy the Encore one is. 

I think the cream pearl suits the deep trans red so well. 

M49mKUo.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

A few years back, I made some pocket money by buying unloved or slightly knackered basses on Shpock and Gumtree, making them playable, cleaning them up and punting them on for a profit that would buy me a nice curry. I came across an Encore very like this. It had been neglected but it didn't take much to get it very playable and it cleaned up beautifully. I was very impressed by the finish. The only minor blemish was on the pickguard which had delaminated slightly by the output. Lovely, old school thump, too. Thats a good score for £50