Why become a member? ×

Laurence Canty - Discussion, Memories, Potential Mega-thread

Matthew Canty

I've been away for a month or so. Thanks for the recent messages. Saw him the other day and it's funny how the condition produces illusions of familiarity. Happy to report he thought he'd seen @frannie01 the weekend before! I just smile these days... unless, maybe he did!?

Thanks for your detailed and kind message @Wyndham Price. I read it out to him and he commented that it must have been 37 years since seeing you "Wyn", mid-80s. Sound about right?

I can't remember who... but he did say one of you wouldn't switch from 3 to 4-finger patterns on the left hand 🤣 Even today, I still feel like I'm being taught.

• Like 1

Laurence had a band based in Lancaster with long-time musical friend Fred Binley. The band was called Quay Change. There's not a right lot of material out there, but here is a little bit of phone footage I just found from 2016. Must have been during the 2016 Lancaster Music Festival. Jane hopped on the mic for one song that day, however she was also a regular vocalist with the band around 2009-2011. Fred is still a great friend of mine and my dad's. 

Video Link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/kxiNg5BNAvGveuox6

Quay Change

15th October 2016

Wagon & Horses

Jane Dodson - Vocals

Laurence Canty - Bass

Fred Binley - Keys

Tim Franks - Drums

• Like 7

• 4 months later...

Hello, Matthew – my name is Derek Slade. I was thinking about your dad earlier today and decided to look around the internet for news about him. The first link took me to this thread, and I was shocked and saddened to hear about his illness.

I first met Laurence over fifty years ago, when we were students at Lancaster University in the late 60s-early 70s (I was then known as Del). I joined a band with him and Andrew Fry (known as Friz). We were first called Ladder, then Undercarriage. We played at parties on and around the campus, and supported Hawkwind and Al Stewart at the university.

Even then your dad seemed to have total command of the bass; he always knew what he was going to play, and why. He was incredibly friendly and had a wickedly dry wit. During our time together we recorded some songs and had them pressed as 45s. Here’s a link to Friz’s recollections of this: https://www.45cat.com/record/ibcep3655. Incidentally, I’m sure Friz would wish to contribute to this thread, though I’m afraid I don’t have contact details for him.  He and Laurence left the university for London a year before I came down. They formed another band with a new guitarist; I remember seeing them at a pub in Bromley, the place was packed and it was a great night.

Dementia is a terrible disease; I hope your dad is as well as possible, and I wish you both all the very best.

Edited by Derek Slade
Paragraphing
  • Like 6

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Kiwi said:

@Matthew Canty look what I discovered while sorting through some old books! I knew I still had it somewhere...

IMG_20231210_200429.jpg

Jaydee aren't dead yet though. :D 

Nice one! Whenever I stumble upon the letter you sent I’ll be sure to send this through. I don’t think I’m familiar with DJ Guitars, although I’m currently gig-lagged and not really thinking about much today 😂 

• Like 2

On 12/08/2023 at 17:52, Derek Slade said:

Hello, Matthew – my name is Derek Slade. I was thinking about your dad earlier today and decided to look around the internet for news about him. The first link took me to this thread, and I was shocked and saddened to hear about his illness.

I first met Laurence over fifty years ago, when we were students at Lancaster University in the late 60s-early 70s (I was then known as Del). I joined a band with him and Andrew Fry (known as Friz). We were first called Ladder, then Undercarriage. We played at parties on and around the campus, and supported Hawkwind and Al Stewart at the university.

Even then your dad seemed to have total command of the bass; he always knew what he was going to play, and why. He was incredibly friendly and had a wickedly dry wit. During our time together we recorded some songs and had them pressed as 45s. Here’s a link to Friz’s recollections of this: https://www.45cat.com/record/ibcep3655. Incidentally, I’m sure Friz would wish to contribute to this thread, though I’m afraid I don’t have contact details for him.  He and Laurence left the university for London a year before I came down. They formed another band with a new guitarist; I remember seeing them at a pub in Bromley, the place was packed and it was a great night.

Dementia is a terrible disease; I hope your dad is as well as possible, and I wish you both all the very best.

Thanks Derek. Here’s some photos you might find of interest…

The poster was framed recently by me and hangs above my desk. And I’m guessing that’s you on guitar?

I’d be interested in making contact with Friz. You have both been mentioned often over the last 2 years.

IMG_4755.jpeg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

Sad to be saying that my dad has passed away. He died on Sunday 17th December around 1pm - just in time for a coffee.

It's been a really tough few years. I want everyone who said something on this thread to know it's been really important for me to hear these kind words, stories and memories.

I had to no doubt he was a kind, inspirational and talented person. Liked by so many. I want you all to know that he was a wonderful dad who taught me so much about the world, life and of course bass guitar.

If you're in any doubt as to how you might remember him in any way in light of this news, perhaps you'll find something in his Desert Island Discs, curated by him:

I also kept track of any music that was discussed or mentioned during his stay at the care home:

And finally, he recorded a gig back in 1991 at the Tower Hotel in London. It was mixed recently and I'm hoping to have it mastered soon and pressed to vinyl. Nothing commercial, just a very special keepsake. The tracks are SoundCloud:

https://soundcloud.com/matthewcanty1988/sets/tower-hotel-1991-vinyl

I'm celebrating with music.

Edited by Matthew Canty
  • Like 7
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, Matthew Canty said:

Hello everyone.

Sad to be saying that my dad has passed away. He died on Sunday 17th December around 1pm - just in time for a coffee.

It's been a really tough few years. I want everyone who said something on this thread to know it's been really important for me to hear these kind words, stories and memories.

I had to no doubt he was a kind, inspirational and talented person. Liked by so many. I want you all to know that he was a wonderful dad who taught me so much about the world, life and of course bass guitar.

If you're in any doubt as to how you might remember him in any way in light of this news, perhaps you'll find something in his Desert Island Discs, curated by him:

I also kept track of any music that was discussed or mentioned during his stay at the care home:

And finally, he recorded a gig back in 1991 at the Tower Hotel in London. It was mixed recently and I'm hoping to have it mastered soon and pressed to vinyl. Nothing commercial, just a very special keepsake. The tracks are SoundCloud:

So sorry for your loss. I live in Morecambe and know and play with a lot of musicians in Lancaster. I saw a tribute to your Dad on Facebook yesterday from a guitar player I know called Tim. He put up a video of a few people playing, including your Dad on bass, at a party in Lancaster a few years ago. He certainly touched a great many people’s lives.

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Matthew,

I'm very sorry to hear this but glad you opened up this thread where he could be celebrated and remembered.

Here he is at my 50th where he chose 'Walk on the Wild Side' for my Desert Island Discs' which we all played- yes 2 basses on that famous bass part...P1020341.thumb.JPG.14e0226f64cb4fea135bf1d2197f62a2.JPG

all the best, joe

• Like 3

On 19/12/2023 at 14:48, Matthew Canty said:

Hello everyone.

Hi Matthew thanks for sharing this info at such a sad time 

I’d have gratefully gone for a coffee at the cafe in Highgate woods as we did on numerous occasions. Without Lawrence’s guidance I’d have been pretty useless as a musician and my wit a lot less sharper.🙏🏽🙏🏽

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 14:27, Matthew Canty said:

Thanks Derek. Here’s some photos you might find of interest…

The poster was framed recently by me and hangs above my desk. And I’m guessing that’s you on guitar?

I’d be interested in making contact with Friz. You have both been mentioned often over the last 2 years.

IMG_4755.jpeg

image.jpg

HI Matt, Del!

So sorry to hear (via Hugh Bulford, who kindly pointed me here) of Laurence's illness and death. This is me, Friz, and you'd both be most welcome getting in touch with me  (07767 647675). That's me on the right in the top photo (Nick Jones on guitar on the left - early days of Undercarriage's London years))

As Del says, we were at University together, and I first worked with Laurence in a trio called Felt Skin (active late 1969 to mid 1970, then with Del in Ladder/Undercarriage (late 1970 to March 1972), then with Undercarriage in London (late 1972 to Aug 1975). Laurence and I shared a house in Galgate while at uni, then in Muswell Hill, London. 

I have a lot of photos and recordings from those days. Feel free to pester me!

My memories of Laurence are exclusively positive and full of warmth and admiration. RIP Loz!

Friz - Andrew Fry

• Like 1

Coming to this very late. I never met your dad, but his books helped me in my journey. I still have my 'What Bass' on my bookshelf and still regularly refer to it. Please accept my condolences at this time.

IMG_3010.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Matthew,

Belated condolences on the very sad news of Laurence's passing. My wife and I moved house in late November, and this is the first I've been able to get to a computer.

Strength to you at what will still be a distressing time. There will hopefully be some warmth in seeing what high regard Laurence was held in, as a musician and a person.

Derek

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just got to see this, so sorry to see your post about your dad, as with others I still have his books , hopefully I will start playing again and use them.

Your dad was a very cool and understanding human being 

RIP Laurence 

On 10/02/2022 at 07:37, FDC484950 said:

Wasn’t Laurence a regular contributor to Making Music magazine? IIRC it was a free, A4-sized mag that used to be distributed in music shops in the 80s and 90s. It was a fair while ago but I remember he had a good writing style.

He was. And I just found what appears to be a complete archive down the back of some shelves.

• Like 3