Why become a member? ×

Best way to de-gloss neck.

Vin Venal

Howdy.

I've got a Squier Jag, which I love, but the neck is thick, sticky gloss, which impacts playability.

Is there a generally accepted, minimally invasive way of getting a more satin finish?

I was thinking of just getting some wire wool and giving it a gentle rub, but I don't wanna remove too much finish, I've seen some necks which look like someone's been at them with an angle grinder, and I wanna avoid that if possible.

Cheers ears!

I’ve used a heat gun to do this a few times then sanded down to bare wood going through the grits. I’ve always used tru-oil afterwards. You have to be really careful though particularly with the heat gun as you don’t want to burn the wood. Working around the frets was very slow going. I wouldn’t be surprised if I put in over 20 hours to get the finish I required.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tegs07 said:

I’ve used a heat gun todo this a few times then sanded down to bare wood going through the grits. I’ve always used to-oil afterwards. You have to be really careful though particularly with the heat gun as you don’t want to burn the wood. Working around the frets was very slow going. I wouldn’t be surprised if I put in over 20 hours to get the finish I required.

Yeah, sounds like more work than I'd like to pit in.

I was hoping to avoid completely removing the finish, cuz I like the "vintage" stain.

Was hoping it would be possible to just rough up the surface of the polyurethane a bit, but not sure if that will work.

1 minute ago, Vin Venal said:

Yeah, sounds like more work than I'd like to pit in.

I was hoping to avoid completely removing the finish, cuz I like the "vintage" stain.

Was hoping it would be possible to just rough up the surface of the polyurethane a bit, but not sure if that will work.

Might do with a fine enough wire wool. Not tried it though so can’t advise sorry.

Scotchbright (think panscrub) is better to use than wire wool as there is no danger of fine iron filings stuck to the pickups.

It comes in various grades - builders and decorators merchants usually have a wide range, but you can pick up a pack of three grades from most DIY stores nowadays.

• Like 1