Why become a member? ×

NBD: 1973 Precision Bass

ossyrocks

Well, I'm having quite the week. 

This beauty arrived by UPS this morning, well packed, and undamaged.

Straight out of the case it plays really well, only a little intonation required on the G string, which I'll get done in due course, and fix that long adjustment screw too which appears to be the only non-original part on the bass.

It's light, only 8 1/2 lbs, feels great on a strap, and balances well.

The neck is sublime, a well rounded deep C profile, and instantly feels comfortable and easier to play than the Squire P-Bass I've been playing for the last couple of months. I've not had chance to try it through my new Markbass rig yet as Mrs Rocks is working from home. I'm supposed to be working too, but a little distraction never hurt anyone did it?

I'm chuffed to bits!

Cheers,

Rob

73 Precision Bass.jpeg

• Like 20

09D948CB-9AAE-473B-831A-B779E3FC89C2.jpeg.1f8cd98ec4e7a7fd4e74d8fe30819baa.jpegE6538148-5816-48CF-905F-8C5062A9C54B.thumb.jpeg.5d1e0cad0d43391a85389e7f96ccaf4e.jpegThat’s a lovely looking PBass 

I have the Silver Metallic Player Series PBass and soon to arrive in same colour as yours my backup bass Squire Classic Vibe 60’s PBass 

After playing for years a Stingray I now much prefer a PBass 

Edited by BassAdder27

45 minutes ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Wow, that's a desert island bass - I could die happy with such perfection...

I see you're in Edinburgh. There's a Precision listed on ebay, with pretty poor pictures, which claims to be a 1970. It looks ok at first glance, but I think you could provide a great service by going to check it out. I thought long and hard about it, but I couldn't justify a full day round trip to see a bass without knowing more. He's open to offers too. Just a thought.

Rob

I haven't put this down all day! Jammin James Jamerson licks.

It has heavier strings than I'm used to, but it still plays really well. However, I now have a blister on my left hand index finger from playing so much.

Can I claim for industrial injury?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BassAdder27 said:

I changed mine to 45-100 strings which is far better than 45-105 in my opinion on the PBass 

Only adjustment needed was truss rod ( slight tweek ) 

Yes, I was using 40-100 on the Squire, but these are quite a bit heavier. I’ll consider a lighter gauge when I come to change them, which will probably be soon.

I suppose it’s my soft noob fingers, I’ll just have to keep practicing and harden them up! 

6 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

I found a better balance between the G and D strings compared to the A and E using 45-100 

Duly noted. Cheers

@BassAdder27 Is there any particular brand you think would work best? Think classic soul, motown, funk and blues. My local shop has two set packs of Ernie Ball Super Slinky 45-100's for £39.50, but Gary always knocks a bit off for me.

Edited by ossyrocks

5 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

Well, I'm having quite the week. 

This beauty arrived by UPS this morning, well packed, and undamaged.

Straight out of the case it plays really well, only a little intonation required on the G string, which I'll get done in due course, and fix that long adjustment screw too which appears to be the only non-original part on the bass.

It's light, only 8 1/2 lbs, feels great on a strap, and balances well.

The neck is sublime, a well rounded deep C profile, and instantly feels comfortable and easier to play than the Squire P-Bass I've been playing for the last couple of months. I've not had chance to try it through my new Markbass rig yet as Mrs Rocks is working from home. I'm supposed to be working too, but a little distraction never hurt anyone did it?

I'm chuffed to bits!

Cheers,

Rob

73 Precision Bass.jpeg

Lovely, I bet that sounds divine, unfortunately the price of vintage basses has always stopped me from owning one but maybe one day

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Lovely, I bet that sounds divine, unfortunately the price of vintage basses has always stopped me from owning one but maybe one day

Yes, prices are nuts. I suppose I’m fortunate enough to have been buying and selling vintage guitar equipment for long enough to benefit from the market. Much of the gear I have was bought for much cheaper years ago, so I’m able to sell the odd piece to fund other pieces, much like the housing market, which I benefited from, but in which my kids are fairly screwed. 

I’m selling a few bits and pieces at profit to fund this bass, so the hit is softened to a large degree.

The dilemma everyone has who is sitting on gear is when to sell, as prices are still rising, but will the bubble burst? 

Rob

3 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I don’t think it’s a bubble - it’s been a steady rise at least for the last couple of decades while I’ve been involved.

It did crash after 2008 to an extent. I remember looking at an early 60’s 335 at a show in about 2010. It was priced at £12k, but only a few years before it would have been double that. A lot of people were holding guitars which were worth a lot less than they had in them. I don’t think the 335 market has ever recovered to where it was, even today. But in the last couple of years, prices have been shooting up again, and I just wonder where they might go.

• Like 1

Not sure if you're looking for rounds or flats, but I adore La Bella RX nickel rounds, from Bass Direct. You'll not see much mention of them but for me their sound and tension are perfect. 

Edited by lownote
  • Like 1

Just now, lownote said:

Not sure if you're looking for rounds or flats, but I adore La Bella RX nickel rounds, from Bass Direct. No one's heard of them but I find their sound and tension perfect. 

I’ll check those, I’m completely open minded at the moment as I basically have zero experience.

Cheers