Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

NBD - Hama Okamoto MIJ PBass

Jonesy

I recently sold a Pbass and thought I'd replace it with..........a PBass!

It's a MIJ Hama Okamoto signature Precision.........who? That was my first thought too. He's the chap who has the pointy Katana as his new sig. Essentially it's a 62 reissue body, but with a jazz neck. Nice and light and the neck is a breeze to get around.

I'm not too sure if the tort will stay, I'm possibly thinking anodised gold and whacking a pup cover on it too, but we'll see. I'm not sure how the chrome and gold will go together.

PXL_20220120_123332989.jpg

PXL_20220120_123412454~3.jpg

PXL_20220120_123430778.jpg

• Like 10

The lollipops are a nice touch, the side dot markers are like an orangey colour too, so add to the vintage vibe. Chuffed with it so far.

The fretboard is a tad darker than it looks in the pics too, but I might give it an oil to darken it again 😊

Edited by Jonesy
  • Like 2

Rosewood, three tone sunburst, gold guard, chrome covers:

IMG_2590.jpg

Doesn't seem a change worth spending actual money on.

Browsing through a Google image search, the anodized pickguards seem happier on the more muted two tone sunbursts - the bit of red in three tone seems to trump the gold.

(But maybe I'm just preferring what I'm used to seeing?)

Anyway, Rotosounds on that, right? :D

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Rosewood, three tone sunburst, gold guard, chrome covers:

IMG_2590.jpg

Doesn't seem a change worth spending actual money on.

Anyway, Rotosounds on that, right? :D

Well, if we had that attitude then the classifieds section would be fairly deserted! 😁 I think it's just that the burst and tort looks a bit standard. I'm not a fan of pearloid, so it's probably either gold, black, or some sort of aged white.

And this is indeed where the Roto's will be ending up, thank you again for those!!

9 hours ago, Mudpup said:

I've got an anodised gold guard in my spares box if you wanted to borrow it for a look before you buy one....

Ohhhhhh, that's mighty tempting and I wouldn't mind taking you up on that! I'll see if I can find out what sort of hole pattern fits mine. Worse comes to worse I can just hold it over the body 😁

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Ohhhhhh, that's mighty tempting and I wouldn't mind taking you up on that! I'll see if I can find out what sort of hole pattern fits mine. Worse comes to worse I can just hold it over the body 😁

I'll pop it over when i get a mo'

It's off my Classic Lacquer and is a 10 hole plate

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

I really like it so far! Apart from the jazz shape, what I really like about the neck is the vintage tint gloss and narrow frets. The fret work is good and it's extremely playable. 

The body is basswood, which some people might not be a fan of, but it does mean it's pretty light. The pups sound like a PBass.

It's the second Japanese P bass I've had and they've both been excellent. If you're thinking of picking one up then I'd go for it!

• Like 2

Ooohhhh, yes and no. I do seem to prefer a 38mm neck, but I'm ok with it being bigger at the nut as long as it doesn't widen too much down toward the 12th fret. It's only really something I noticed recently when one band added 'Lost Woman' by The Yardbirds to the set and the other band started jamming 'Rags and Bones' by Nomeansno.

My Ric(44mm) and SG (40mm) are both wider than a jazz neck, but they don't widen out as much as a P by the time you get down the dusty end. That and maybe the shorter scale length helps?

• Like 1

I've gone in the other direction, 38m to 40mm to 42mm - I like that the extra width forces me to play more deliberately: instead of skipping through the notes, I have to work for the articulation and that makes it all sound better.

BUT YES just a couple of days ago I tried to play on my P a long-forgotten exercise that I used to play on my TRBX and literally failed to reach the notes on the E string once down in the dust 😳